Rumor: Powers: Bhawks efforts to improve their defense

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
you also have to look at what got Hextall fired in Philly- he had a reluctance to trade young assets away for proven players to make a push and did not want to stray from a bigger picture. Bowman has to have some internal pressure that this season is the turn around year, time to enter back into the playoffs with a legit contending team. where is an area he can make a move or two that would help do that?? not hard to figure out if a trade is made, what position he likely makes it from. Kelley himself said "we are not necessarily drafting all these players to be Blackhawks"...meaning you draft the BPA and then move assets as you see fit to help the team and organization. that doesn't mean I am condoning trading Boqvist or anyone or that the Hawks have soured on any of them, just don't be shocked if we see a big move or two here over the next year.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Is this just another one of your bits, or do you truly believe this?
If Boqvist hits his"ceilinig", fine he's the best prospect in the system. Will he hit that? Seems to be a lot of question marks. He might only end up being as good as someone like Will Butcher.

Ian Mitchell on the other hand will hit his ceiling. I like the certainty that he will be a top 4 defender. I'm not a fan of boom/bust types.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
you also have to look at what got Hextall fired in Philly- he had a reluctance to trade young assets away for proven players to make a push and did not want to stray from a bigger picture. Bowman has to have some internal pressure that this season is the turn around year, time to enter back into the playoffs with a legit contending team. where is an area he can make a move or two that would help do that?? not hard to figure out if a trade is made, what position he likely makes it from. Kelley himself said "we are not necessarily drafting all these players to be Blackhawks"...meaning you draft the BPA and then move assets as you see fit to help the team and organization. that doesn't mean I am condoning trading Boqvist or anyone or that the Hawks have soured on any of them, just don't be shocked if we see a big move or two here over the next year.

Right, so it’s reasonable to conclude that at least one of the “big 4” defenseman prospects will get traded and never wear a Hawks sweater.

What I don’t understand is why some people are starting with Boqvist as the guy who could go.

It just smells like an agenda-driven thing.

As BWC said (weird I’m siding with him here, but I think he’s right) you start with trading guys like Krys or Mitchell, not Boqvist or Jokiharju.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
you start with trading guys like Krys or Mitchell
That would be a bad idea.

Krys doesn't even have any value outside the organization right now so all you'd be doing is selling extremely low. If he busts, his value would be the same as it is now. If he succeeds as an NHL defender, you look foolish for selling him.

Mitchell is a stud.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Boqvist hits his"ceilinig", fine he's the best prospect in the system. Will he hit that? Seems to be a lot of question marks. He might only end up being as good as someone like Will Butcher.

Ian Mitchell on the other hand will hit his ceiling. I like the certainty that he will be a top 4 defender. I'm not a fan of boom/bust types.

Interesting, did you recalibrate your crystal ball? Because I remember the last time you used it you had Mark Stone staying in Ottawa on an 8-year deal.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I wouldn't either, and I am in agreement. If they want to create a contender, these are my untouchables:
Kane
Toews
Keith
Cat
Strome
Boqvist

Seabrook is immovable
And that is it. Anyone else is fair game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Bowman starts moving prospects for quick fixes this team is screwed. This team needed a reload, an influx of young talent. I think we’re a year away from a team potentially in contention. If they start selling futures to get in as the sixth seed I’ll be furious.

Reactions: Sarava

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Interesting, did you recalibrate your crystal ball? Because I remember the last time you used it you had Mark Stone staying in Ottawa on an 8-year deal.
Not my fault Melnyk had different plans. Stone would've stayed had he been given a fair offer.

Also has nothing to do with assessing talent.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Right, so it’s reasonable to conclude that at least one of the “big 4” defenseman prospects will get traded and never wear a Hawks sweater.

What I don’t understand is why some people are starting with Boqvist as the guy who could go.

It just smells like an agenda-driven thing.

As BWC said (weird I’m siding with him here, but I think he’s right) you start with trading guys like Krys or Mitchell, not Boqvist or Jokiharju.
I am pretty positive one of those 4 dmen will be moved, it is our position of strength to deal from. As for why it seems Boqvist, not sure but the fact that he is the weakest away from the puck is probably why..you would have to ask them, but he would not be my first choice to move. I would 100% move Beaudin out if the opportunity presented itself, and 1000% if we draft Byram.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Bowman starts moving prospects for quick fixes this team is screwed. This team needed a reload, an influx of young talent. I think we’re a year away from a team potentially in contention. If they start selling futures to get in as the sixth seed I’ll be furious.
why are you assuming it will be a quick fix? was ROR a quick fix for the Blues? you can move a top prospect or two and get a player back that not only fills a need but builds towards the future as well.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

You gotta stop talking in such absolutes man. It genuinely detracts from your more reasonable takes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Ooh, that looks nice.
in that case, I wouldn't mind giving Gus a 5x5 and exposing him in the expansion draft if we have to. That is always an option.

upload_2019-6-15_16-53-4.png

Chicago Blackhawks - 2019 - 2020 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
why are you assuming it will be a quick fix? was ROR a quick fix for the Blues? you can move a top prospect or two and get a player back that not only fills a need but builds towards the future as well.

No he wasn’t, and that’s not at all what I was talking about. Moving joker or Boqvist for Nylander or whoever else isn’t at all what I’m advocating against.

The internal pressure bit is what scares me. McD pushing hockey decisions for the brand.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No he wasn’t, and that’s not at all what I was talking about. Moving joker or Boqvist for Nylander or whoever else isn’t at all what I’m advocating against.

The internal pressure bit is what scares me. McD pushing hockey decisions for the brand.
I'm with you.
Joki for Nylander is a hockey trade. Those type of trades are ok.
Trading Boqvist for some vet D in an overpay is one of those things that would be incredibly short sighted.

I'm fine moving anyone in a hockey trade. Trading young players for 30+ vets is stupid. If they're trading the young D, they better be getting a player like Nylander or Hamilton in return.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

agreed, and I think Bowman isn't going to make that knee jerk reaction hence the Boqvist pick to begin with. I am sure he is feeling some heat to get things going, but he also has to be looking at the defensive prospect pool and realize all these guys just will not have room here in the next year or two...so like Kelley said, some might not make it with us..McD needs to just focus on Hawks conventions and charity events lol..

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
agreed, and I think Bowman isn't going to make that knee jerk reaction hence the Boqvist pick to begin with. I am sure he is feeling some heat to get things going, but he also has to be looking at the defensive prospect pool and realize all these guys just will not have room here in the next year or two...so like Kelley said, some might not make it with us..McD needs to just focus on Hawks conventions and charity events lol..

mcdonough allegedly 'loves' colliton, so he could be on board with playing the long game with JC and Bowman as JC is his guy if thats what Stan wants...scotty is also allegedly partially a reason that stan is still around

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
mcdonough allegedly 'loves' colliton, so he could be on board with playing the long game with JC and Bowman as JC is his guy if thats what Stan wants...scotty is also allegedly partially a reason that stan is still around
Scotty is 85 years old. idk how much longer he's going to want to work, or how much longer he's still going to be with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad