Rumor: Powers: Bhawks efforts to improve their defense

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trade Anisimov for TVR
Acq new C with Dahlstrom as part of deal

TVR becomes #7 and rotates with Seabrook and is ready to step in fulltime if need in event of injury

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
well i am really and a little nervous with SB in charge of making trades.

go to The Athletic to read the article.

breakdown on what was in print. Bhawks want 1 of the Car top d-men ...... the Bhawks top draft #3 is not in play.

the price being offered is one of the 2nd line forwards.

that is all i know.

Good job putting this together LDF! I like the post and effort in finding a real source.

One small point of clarification, Powers wrote “secondary forwards”, not 2nd line forwards.

I think that distinction is very important as it likely means Anisimov/Saad and not DeBrincat/Strome.

Also, here are the defensemen Powers lists. Justin Faulk, Calvin de Haan and Dougie Hamilton.

He also said Murray talks with Columbus have not progressed.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not that I wouldn’t absolutely love Slavin but where did the bolded come from?

I’ve seen no indication of that and Boqvist made a lot of strides in his devlopment last year and had a pretty damn great end to the season.
Nothing official. But I've seen quite a few scouts now saying they haven't liked where Boqvist is at this year. Even Laz, take it with a grain of salt, has said the organization has soured on him a bit.

Reactions: d rake

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Nothing official. But I've seen quite a few scouts now saying they haven't liked where Boqvist is at this year. Even Laz, take it with a grain of salt, has said the organization has soured on him a bit.
What? His first year on NA ice and he did really well and they soured on him? They even gave him an extended training camp look.

I think it’s time to re-evaluate your sources. Laz holds no water anywhere, so that’s your first mistake.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What? His first year on NA ice and he did really well and they soured on him? They even gave him an extended training camp look.

I think it’s time to re-evaluate your sources. Laz holds no water anywhere, so that’s your first mistake.
I don't like Laz either, but he's not the only one saying it. It seems like there's a consensus forming around Boqvist from many professional scouts. When Laz first reported, I scoffed. But now many feel similarly.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't like Laz either, but he's not the only one saying it. It seems like there's a consensus forming around Boqvist from many professional scouts. When Laz first reported, I scoffed. But now many feel similarly.
That's terrible. Quit underrating AA. A solid 3C beats a bottom pair any day of the week.

Says there’s consensus forming that the Hawks have soured on Boqvist in one post, then chastises another poster for underrating a guy in the very next post haha. Classic.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Says there’s consensus forming that the Hawks have soured on Boqvist in one post
I haven't said this. Laz has said this. What I'm saying is professional scouts who are unaffiliated with the Hawks have not been high on Boqvist either. So if you combine two and two together, it seems like many are in the same boat that Boqvist has been underwhelming.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I haven't said this. Laz has said this. What I'm saying is professional scouts who are unaffiliated with the Hawks have not been high on Boqvist either. So if you combine two and two together, it seems like many are in the same boat that Boqvist has been underwhelming.

You absolutely did say there’s consensus forming, those aren’t Laz’ words. That’s on you after combining “two and two together.”

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You absolutely did say there’s consensus forming, those aren’t Laz’ words. That’s on you after combining “two and two together.”
Yes if you take what Laz has said about the organization's opinion on Boqvist + what non organization professionals are saying, Boqvist has been very underwhelming.

They probably wait things out with him, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they try to move him if they're afraid of his value plummeting.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Yes if you take what Laz has said about the organization's opinion on Boqvist + what non organization professionals are saying, Boqvist has been very underwhelming.

They probably wait things out with him, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they try to move him if they're afraid of his value plummeting.
Start providing the sources then and maybe people will listen. And I mean someone other than Laz.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
You want to improve the Defense?

1.The Seabrook albatross issue is a lot more important than adding g any top 4 dmen from other teams..Fix the Seabrook problem Nd tge D improves by addition via subtraction...alas impossible to fix till next CBO opportu ity.

2.Get our current Dmen to block shots instead of worrying they will hurt their pretty faces or bodies and thus resorting g too much to just sticks in the way

3 Get current dmen to use their bodies to knock guys off pucks in our zone instead of week futile stick waiving at guys as they go past them to our net.

3.For gosh sakes...execute simple clears successfully instead of sending pucks up the boards to waiting opps d-men at the line sho keep it in and sustaining the pressure in our zone.

4. Tell our forwards if they cheat or are and do not check like glue on their assigned checks in our zone .that they will get benched ...regardless if they are a grunt or one of our stars...everyone most be "responsible".

All of these items are far more important than betting on somebody another team thinks they can live without but that iurmarjeti g hype dept.. would play up as the "solutuon" to our D-problens ...this will only ask for failure since that guy probably cannot be any kind of Savuiur given that 2 is in retirement decline from his glories pro e days and 7 is just plain incompetent and should not be seeing the ice at all.No "Saviour" can possibly overturn the truth of these unpleasant realities ...

Many fans would celebrate if Hawks got this mythical top 4 dman who they think will miraculously turn our poor defensive stats around to better goal prevention..when this fails the fans will be even more furious than they are Fter last season .

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Boqvist got 20 + 40 for 60 pts in 54 games regular season
10 + 3 for 13 pts in 11 playoff games.
He is 18 and just started playing on NA ice.
I think it's a little early to sour on an 18 year old guy that is putting up more than a point per game in his first year playing D in NA.
How is this production underwhelming?
He is an offensive Dman .. if it's his D play than wtf? It takes time for D to develop and round into form. OMFG!

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

Sources?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah, I've been reading a lot of similar things. I'm surprised, but maybe I only caught him during his best games. I'm beginning to think that the Hawks are going to use their D prospects to go get established, young-ish D like Hamilton and Murray and try to make one more run. I don't think they're willing to wait on the young D to develop. I'm starting to think out of all of their young D, the only one they might keep around is Jokiharju, and even that is iffy because they'd have to protect him in the expansion draft.

There are two lanes they can take, the one for immediate success and the one for longer term success, and I think they're going to go with immediate, because Kane and Toews aren't getting younger. I can't blame them.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, I've been reading a lot of similar things. I'm surprised, but maybe I only caught him during his best games. I'm beginning to think that the Hawks are going to use their D prospects to go get established, young-ish D like Hamilton and Murray and try to make one more run. I don't think they're willing to wait on the young D to develop. I'm starting to think out of all of their young D, the only one they might keep around is Jokiharju, and even that is iffy because they'd have to protect him in the expansion draft.

There are two lanes they can take, the one for immediate success and the one for longer term success, and I think they're going to go with immediate, because Kane and Toews aren't getting younger. I can't blame them.

There is a third lane. Sign free agents and make a trade where they don’t give up the D prospects or the No. 3 overall.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

Did I miss something or what? Where is all this coming from? If we trade any of our top D prospects for the aforementioned players listed I will make the 8 hour drive and throw Stan Bowman into the Chicago river.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If you want to trade young defenders you move guys like Mitchell or Krys

If you draft Byram then a guy like Beaudin could be trade chip

You don't gut the future on D for stopgaps or guys like Hamiltion who would be raising a ton of red flags if yet another organization wants to move on from him before he is even 26

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Did I miss something or what? Where is all this coming from? If we trade any of our top D prospects for the aforementioned players listed I will make the 8 hour drive and throw Stan Bowman into the Chicago river.

I haven’t seen any of this talk either. The most I’ve heard is Craig Button saying Boqvist isn’t a #1 defenseman.

Where are the rest of these comments from league scouts @Kaners Bald Spot and @Kevin Musto ?

Reactions: Giovi and Styles

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If you want to trade young defenders you move guys like Mitchell or Krys

If you draft Byram then a guy like Beaudin could be trade chip

You don't gut the future on D for stopgaps or guys like Hamiltion who would be raising a ton of red flags if yet another organization wants to move on from him before he is even 26

I agree with this take, but we both know Musto is about to go WWIII on you for saying Mitchell should go before Boqvist.

I’ll just sit back and enjoy watching him try to justify how Mitchell is a significantly better prospect than Boqvist.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I haven’t seen any of this talk either. The most I’ve heard is Craig Button saying Boqvist isn’t a #1 defenseman.

Where are the rest of these comments from league scouts @Kaners Bald Spot and @Kevin Musto ?
Well you know ... different people have differing definitions of what a #1 D is
is Karlsson a #1 D? Is Doughty more of a #1 D than Karlsson?
All I know is that if Boqvist could be 75% of what Karlsson was in his prime i would be pretty happy with him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Well you know ... different people have differing definitions of what a #1 D is
is Karlsson a #1 D? Is Doughty more of a #1 D than Karlsson?
All I know is that if Boqvist could be 75% of what Karlsson was in his prime i would be pretty happy with him.

Right, and that’s the discussion that came from Button saying that.

Most concluded that just because Boqvist may not fit Button’s definition of a #1 it doesn’t make him any less of a blue chip defensive prospect

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Trade saad for a D then a D prospect and future pick for a young forward. Draft Byram or a forward and go from there

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Based on what I'm reading, I think they want to win now and maximize their chances with Toews and Kane.
I think Boqvist is a great prospect, but I'm now bracing myself for him getting traded. Same with Joki.
Quite frankly, don't get too attached to anyone on this roster because I think that anyone not named Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook are on the table this offseason

Correct on all counts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad