Rumor: Powers: Bhawks efforts to improve their defense

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So what does your gut tell you? Are you more in line with Musto, Bald Spot, and Sting here and think Boqvist needs to be moved ASAP before he officially becomes a bust?
my gut tells me that you don't make knee jerk reactions and you also trust those that are there game in and game out versus scouting services/Button/beat writers that only catch a game here or a game there. most of these scouting services make their bread and butter on focusing on the current draft, which is why I brought up the previous year for HockeyProspect because so many of these guys/services ignore what they put previously/stand by it only to focus on selling their product for the next year.

I am not saying HockeyProspect is bad or wrong, I appreciate the fact that he even answered that, but did his answer bother me some? yep, it did. Do I think he has as good of a grasp on both Boqvist and Beaudin's development that our own internal scouts/Bowman/Kelley have? heck no..his job and most other scouting services job is to focus on the now and not the names who were already drafted..but does he still go to games and see these guys? yes he does, and the fact that two of the names he listed were Hawks guys out of the entire top 31 should have us take a breath and step back a bit when it comes to some of these kids.

my other issue is Boqvist was a work in progress away from the puck prior to drafting him. I have been saying it is a big flaw of his and why to be a true legit #1 you can't be weak away from the puck. some other posters said we were off and he was better than that, and maybe he will be but this really isn't a news flash for some of us especially for Boqvist as I thought he has and will struggle away from the puck just like Keith and Karlsson did...it takes time especially as a smaller skilled PMD..what he is right now is not what he will be down the road, shit, Kelley said the same damn thing as well..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
my gut tells me that you don't make knee jerk reactions and you also trust those that are there game in and game out versus scouting services/Button/beat writers that only catch a game here or a game there. most of these scouting services make their bread and butter on focusing on the current draft, which is why I brought up the previous year for HockeyProspect because so many of these guys/services ignore what they put previously/stand by it only to focus on selling their product for the next year.

I am not saying HockeyProspect is bad or wrong, I appreciate the fact that he even answered that, but did his answer bother me some? yep, it did. Do I think he has as good of a grasp on both Boqvist and Beaudin's development that our own internal scouts/Bowman/Kelley have? heck no..his job and most other scouting services job is to focus on the now and not the names who were already drafted..but does he still go to games and see these guys? yes he does, and the fact that two of the names he listed were Hawks guys out of the entire top 31 should have us take a breath and step back a bit when it comes to some of these kids.

my other issue is Boqvist was a work in progress away from the puck prior to drafting him. I have been saying it is a big flaw of his and why to be a true legit #1 you can't be weak away from the puck. some other posters said we were off and he was better than that, and maybe he will be but this really isn't a news flash for some of us especially for Boqvist as I thought he has and will struggle away from the puck just like Keith and Karlsson did...it takes time especially as a smaller skilled PMD..what he is right now is not what he will be down the road, **** Kelley said the same damn thing as well..

So if I’m summarizing your thoughts correctly, it’s that Musto & co. are putting way too much stock into the thoughts of Button, Laz, and HP guy and there may actually not be a consensus forming that Boqvist is underwhelming and the Hawks are souring on him?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'd move Boqvist and keep Jokiharju and Mitchell at this point if AB is 2 years away in a best case scenario. I'd probably move AB for Nylander and draft Byram in that scenario.

Caggiula-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Nylander
Saad-Anisimov-Sikura
Kubalik-Kampf-Kahun
Perlini

Keith-Jokiharju
Gus-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Forsling

Crawford
Delia

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So if I’m summarizing your thoughts correctly, it’s that Musto & co. are putting way too much stock into the thoughts of Button, Laz, and HP guy and there may actually not be a consensus forming that Boqvist is underwhelming and the Hawks are souring on him?
I am not saying there isn't a consensus forming, it obviously is if you put all these people together. But for me, I just have a hard time putting a lot of stock in most of these people because their focus is not on previously drafted prospects, but soon to be drafted prospects..and that happens year in and year out. It seems more to me of "when I saw him play" or "as we were looking at another top prospect" meaning not frequently watching AB play and not the focus of their trip/viewings.

I am also saying that some of what they are saying is exactly what some of us have been saying all year and has been known - this really isn't news (on the play away from the puck)..but just like on here, once something gets said about a player it can catch on hence "a narrative"..and grow even more.

In my honest opinion, Boqvist is just not that good away from the puck. He has a lot to work on and why I really don't like the OHL as a development path for him in that regard. But, his offense, transition game, skating and vision are all top notch..and his shot is very underrated as well. Offensively how anyone can say he has been underwhelming is beyond me, but comments on his play away from the puck are legit concerns and things he needs to work on - but nothing that hasn't been discussed prior to and right after his draft.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So what does your gut tell you? Are you more in line with Musto, Bald Spot, and Sting here and think Boqvist needs to be moved ASAP before he officially becomes a bust?
I haven't said move him ASAP but if the organization sees big red flags, it should certainly be considered. But again, that's an if. If the org thinks he can grow past it, fine. Keep him.

Reactions: d rake

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
BTW, In no way whatsoever do I think that. I think trading Boqvist would be a huge mistake, as I think he is in his own tier from the 2018 D class behind Dahlin and ahead of everyone else. I think that AB could be every bit of the offensive dynamo that Karlsson was in his prime while playing above average D.

My argument is that I believe that the FO doesn't want to wait on him, as I don't think he's going to be ready to be that guy for another year or two. They're much more concerned with not wasting another stellar year from 19/88 like they did in 2019. If they hoist the cup one more time it would make trading Boqvist palatable, but if they don't then it is going to be one of the worst trades that the Hawks have made in 20+ years.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I haven't said move him ASAP but if the organization sees big red flags, it should certainly be considered. But again, that's an if. If the org thinks he can grow past it, fine. Keep him.

If they believe in Mitchell and Jokiharju then Boqvist becomes a premium trade piece if they take Byram.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
BTW, In no way whatsoever do I think that. I think trading Boqvist would be a huge mistake, as I think he is in his own tier from the 2018 D class behind Dahlin and ahead of everyone else. I think that AB could be every bit of the offensive dynamo that Karlsson was in his prime while playing above average D.

My argument is that I believe that the FO doesn't want to wait on him, as I don't think he's going to be ready to be that guy for another year or two. They're much more concerned with not wasting another stellar year from 19/88 like they did in 2019. If they hoist the cup one more time it would make trading Boqvist palatable, but if they don't then it is going to be one of the worst trades that the Hawks have made in 20+ years.

Gotcha, I definitely misinterpreted where you were coming from. I’m sorry I lumped you in with Musto and his “tear down every d prospect in order to fluff up Mitchell” agenda.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Still an easy yes if it's Joki instead.

I think this becomes closer if they can make a deal for a RHD like Colin Miller, TJ Brodie/Hamonic, Hamilton, etc. Two sort of win now moves with some regard for future as well as Nylander is young, etc

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

You’ve spent all day tearing down Boqvist (and saying the organization is souring on him) because of a few things said by guys who hardly watch Boqvist, and who have pointed out shortcomings we already knew about before Boqvist was drafted (as AD pointed out).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Gotcha, I definitely misinterpreted where you were coming from. I’m sorry I lumped you in with Musto and his “tear down every d prospect in order to fluff up Mitchell” agenda.
I'm not even that high on Mitchell, LOL. I have him behind Boqvist, Jokiharju and Beaudin. No worries. I just think that there are going to be orders from McCub to fix the D now, by any means necessary. They want to win in 2020.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It depends on what D they add. I'd make that deal.
I'd like them to pick up Murray and Fleury, trade away Gus and Forsling, then roll with the following on D:
Keith-Boqvist
Murray-Murphy
Fleury-Seabrook
Koekkoek

Keith-Gus
Murray-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Fleury

Sign Gus to bridge @ 2 yr/4m per. Jokiharju for Nylander. Would suck to pass up on Turc but this fixes the defense and Nylander is young with 60-70 point upside on that line. Piece for now and future. Sign Mitchell in April and boot out Seabrook. Let Boqvist continue to develop.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Keith-Gus
Murray-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Fleury

Sign Gus to bridge @ 2 yr/4m per. Jokiharju for Nylander. Would suck to pass up on Turc but this fixes the defense and Nylander is young with 60-70 point upside on that line. Piece for now and future. Sign Mitchell in April and boot out Seabrook.
Ooh, that looks nice.
in that case, I wouldn't mind giving Gus a 5x5 and exposing him in the expansion draft if we have to. That is always an option.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad