Rumor: Powers: Bhawks efforts to improve their defense

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
in a re-draft scenario where the Hawks get to select the 8th pick again from last year, and can only take a defenseman, who would it be? It has to be Dobson, right?

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Well as far as I'm concerned, I'll believe that management is losing faith in Bovquist when I see some sources from our organization saying it. As AD said, you have no idea how much they are actually paying attention to our guys one year later.

AD, does Edwards know you are a Hawks fan? If so he may have assumed you wanted to hear about our prospects.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well as far as I'm concerned, I'll believe that management is losing faith in Bovquist when I see some sources from our organization saying it. As AD said, you have no idea how much they are actually paying attention to our guys one year later.

AD, does Edwards know you are a Hawks fan? If so he may have assumed you in wanted to hear about our prospects.
you know, I thought about that, and over the years we have talked I am not sure he knows I am a Hawks guy, when we talk we discuss US prospects prior to getting drafted..but boy did he throw a random in there with Noel though lol..

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Lol at the organization souring on boqvist. His second half of the season and playoff run was nothing short of scorching. Yea he struggled the first half of his first year on NA ice (big surprise there).

Several reports indicate boqvist will be given more top pair assignments at both ends of the ice as well as both special teams now that bouchard is expected to be with the oilers either in the AHL/NHL this year.

Let's see what he does with his first season on new ice under his belt. And it's not to say bouchard is better or a higher ceiling, but he was already with London previously so he knows the system better And Hunter had been working with him longer

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Lol at the organization souring on boqvist. His second half of the season and playoff run was nothing short of scorching. Yea he struggled the first half of his first year on NA ice (big surprise there).

Several reports indicate boqvist will be given more top pair assignments at both ends of the ice as well as both special teams now that bouchard is expected to be with the oilers either in the AHL/NHL this year.

Let's see what he does with his first season on new ice under his belt. And it's not to say bouchard is better or a higher ceiling, but he was already with London previously so he knows the system better And Hunter had been working with him longer

Bingo. Great post.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Oh good, some buzz to get me to the end of the week. Its refreshing to see some posters so objective about youth. I typically see overvaluing of prospects and pipe dreams of how good a team could be in 3 or 4 years like that's the right way to win a cup.

Reactions: d rake

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It is completely normal for a team to develop an offensive defenseman slowly. Look at Thomas Chabot, 8 months older than Boqvist at the same point in his career, played in juniors until he was 20. The season after, he started off in the AHL, played well, got the call and has progressed into one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL. He made his first allstar game just as he turned 22.

Reactions: bwana63

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Well this is just nonsense. Just because we had plugs in the lineup last year, doesn’t change the fact that those two are career AHLers.

what is nonsense? Maata does suck he had a lot of promise when he was young but he has been very good for awhile now, I think 4K has a good year this year under JC and turns out to have a decent career and could be a 4-5 D, Dahlstrom is what he is, a stay at home guy that likely carves out 5 or 6 years in the NHL as a 6-7 D

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
what is nonsense? Maata does suck he had a lot of promise when he was young but he has been very good for awhile now, I think 4K has a good year this year under JC and turns out to have a decent career and could be a 4-5 D, Dahlstrom is what he is, a stay at home guy that likely carves out 5 or 6 years in the NHL as a 6-7 D

The nonsense is saying Maatta sucks when the facts show the opposite.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lets take a look at our current D

Keith = Still good but will be 36 so who knows how much longer he can perform at a top level
Murphy = When on his game looks the part of 2nd pairing guy but when off he is pretty crappy. Consistency has always been his issue and continues to be issue
Gustafsson = High offensive talent is what he brings to table but below average D comes with it and as of now needs to prove last year wasn't fluke
Maatta = Former top prospect who's game has declined dramatically and who cant keep up with speed of NHL
Koekkoek = Looked solid for most part with Hawks and is someone who may actually have upside and potential to have positive impact
Seabrook = Former top pairing defender on steep decline. At best a 3rd pairing guy now who will only further decline
Dahlstrom = A purely mediocre player who has no upside and struggled more then was good

Those who's future is uncertain
Forsling = Up and down play has his future with Hawks in doubt as Bowman seemed to prefer Dahlstrom and extended him months ago while nothing has come of Forsling RFA
Jokiharju = Our HC mishandled and mismanaged Joker from moment he was hired and future for Joker in Chicago is uncertain with JC around and Stanley preferring mediocre talent on NHL roster

Pipeline
Boqvist = Probably at least another year away from NHL
Beaudin = Years away from potential NHL
Mitchell = Looking more and more like another Hayes situation. Shouldn't be expected to be part of our future at this point
Gilbert = Seems to have no future with Stanley rushing to extend Dahlstrom and Koekkoek and bring in Maatta
Krys = I see nothing to praise with him as a prospect nor do I expect him to be part of Hawks future. Trade chip is his likely future
Carlsson = Shows promise in Rock but the mediocre talent LHD logjam that our GM seems happy with could prevent him from developing and having future with Hawks
Tuulola = Future in NA unlikely if he doesn't show improvements in his game in Rockford

Well the future isn't as bright as it once seemed

Reactions: LDF

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Lets take a look at our current D

Keith = Still good but will be 36 so who knows how much longer he can perform at a top level
Murphy = When on his game looks the part of 2nd pairing guy but when off he is pretty crappy. Consistency has always been his issue and continues to be issue
Gustafsson = High offensive talent is what he brings to table but below average D comes with it and as of now needs to prove last year wasn't fluke
Maatta = Former top prospect who's game has declined dramatically and who cant keep up with speed of NHL
Koekkoek = Looked solid for most part with Hawks and is someone who may actually have upside and potential to have positive impact
Seabrook = Former top pairing defender on steep decline. At best a 3rd pairing guy now who will only further decline
Dahlstrom = A purely mediocre player who has no upside and struggled more then was good

Those who's future is uncertain
Forsling = Up and down play has his future with Hawks in doubt as Bowman seemed to prefer Dahlstrom and extended him months ago while nothing has come of Forsling RFA
Jokiharju = Our HC mishandled and mismanaged Joker from moment he was hired and future for Joker in Chicago is uncertain with JC around and Stanley preferring mediocre talent on NHL roster

Pipeline
Boqvist = Probably at least another year away from NHL
Beaudin = Years away from potential NHL
Mitchell = Looking more and more like another Hayes situation. Shouldn't be expected to be part of our future at this point
Gilbert = Seems to have no future with Stanley rushing to extend Dahlstrom and Koekkoek and bring in Maatta
Krys = I see nothing to praise with him as a prospect nor do I expect him to be part of Hawks future. Trade chip is his likely future
Carlsson = Shows promise in Rock but the mediocre talent LHD logjam that our GM seems happy with could prevent him from developing and having future with Hawks
Tuulola = Future in NA unlikely if he doesn't show improvements in his game in Rockford

Well the future isn't as bright as it once seemed

We get it. Your opinion is doom and gloom, that “Stanley” has failed and should be fired, and you’re annoyed that not everyone shares your view.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The nonsense is saying Maatta sucks when the facts show the opposite.

time will tell, I watch a lot of Pens games as a result of knowing Matt Murray and what I have seen in the last couple years is a guy that gets blown by on a regular basis as he is slow

its possible that he can turn it around with a fresh start and a switch to the West however its also possible that we now have the two slowest Dmen in the NHL on our roster.

To my knowledge stats don't show how many times Maatta gets burned by average speed NHL'ers to the outside

Hopefully he can change that....

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad