Pouliot Trade Looks Bad

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Tanev only played 25 games in the regular season and 5 in the playoffs. In the playoffs Tanev and Alberts did play a few games together when Rome got suspended and Hamhuis got hurt. The pairings was like Edler/Bieksa Ehrhoff/Salo Alberts/Tanev

Don't think Alberts Tanev played much in the regular season because Alberts was hurt for most of the 2nd half and Tanev didn't get called up until few months into the season.

Ah! Speaking of whipping boys, and holding a player down intentionally.........you got me thinking about Keith Ballard, A.V destroyed his career....I know there must be more to that story than what we know

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
If after the 2012 NHL draft, i lived in a cave with no connection to the outside world, and then i was given tapes of the 15 Canucks games that Pouliot has played this year... i'd think that the Canucks gave up a serious piece to get Pouliot.
He's looking like a 23 year old, number 4 , second pairing damn playing well in all three zones and really helping the teams transition game. If he keeps this pace up the whole year, he's realigned his progression and is on track as to where you think he'd be considering he was taken 8th overall.

There's not really any question at this point,

He's an undisputed top 4 NHL defenseman right now....and he may be moving up

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What was Rutherford thinking? Kid looks great for Vancouver and is making more of an impact in each passing game.

How many of his starts are in the OZ and how sheltered is he?

Because if you think we're "missing him" that's not going to happen. His attitude sucked on the Penguins, they gave him every opportunity to turn it around and he just didn't. When you get out played by Ruhwedel with your draft pedigree, you have issues. Him being put into a situation where he's traded because of his play probably lit a fire under him (-3 tonight though), but nothing about the trade screams we got robbed, Pedan hasn't played 1 game for us yet because of how well Corrado played in his call up as a RHD.

He was a loner on the Penguins, he rarely showed a sense of urgency, he was drafted for being a smooth skating PMD, but he'd rarely show that at the NHL level. The entire Pens fan base was mad about losing Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy.

We're not mad about this one. If Canucks fans are happy with Pouliot, cool, the change of scenery did him well then. Lord knows we do well with change of scenery types on the Penguins (Niskanen, Schultz, etc). They've seem to do well with a cast of misfits on the Canucks.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
It's still pretty funny to me that after drafting nothing but defensemen in the early rounds from basically 2009 to when Shero got fired, they only wound up actually developing one of them. Dumoulin was acquired, not drafted, and he was Pouliot's age when he finally broke into the NHL because he ran out of waiver eligibility.

They are obviously good at taking reclamation defense projects that have already done their development elsewhere, but it's pretty clear that they have a problem developing defensemen internally, especially offensive defensemen; they haven't managed to really produce one homegrown since Letang.

They seem to have gone in a completely different direction with their defense picks of late and it looks they're going to focus on trying to develop safer stay at home guys going forward, which should do wonders for the future of their transition game when Letang declines and Schultz moves on. Interesting strategy after winning Cups based on speed and good transition.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
mmmm his possession #s look good. It's only 15 games and he has 5 points. I would hold off on the victory lap

He also plays largely in the OZ for his starts, which is playing up to his strengths, but even Travis Green knows the guy is horrendous in his own end. But hey, if the Canucks are happy, cool. We're pretty good with our 4th round pick and whatever Pedan ends up being even if nothing.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Do the Vancouver Canucks remember.....Ryan Stanton? Wasn't he suppose to be something too? Too early to say, but who cares? The Canucks basically gifted the Pens a Stanley cup when they traded Bonino for Sutter.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Sometimes players basically need to be moved in order to achieve what they are capable of, for example Neely and Naslund struggled mightily with their draft teams only to do a complete 180 once they were traded yet it is very doubtfull they ever turn into the players they later became had they stuck with their old clubs. Not saying Pouliot will have a hof career at all just the best comparison I could think of. Some players just need a bit of a wake up call and they get it together as a result.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Do the Vancouver Canucks remember.....Ryan Stanton? Wasn't he suppose to be something too? Too early to say, but who cares? The Canucks basically gifted the Pens a Stanley cup when they traded Bonino for Sutter.

Ouch, the Sutter trade makes me cringe every day.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

No he was picked on waivers. There was no expectations of him except be a reliable 3rd pairing guy which for the most part he was

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Another win/win trade from GMJR. Congratulations Canucks, hope he reaches his potential.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
A team gets assets for a player they apparently would have otherwise waived. Said player appears to be finally establishing his career on his new team.

I know this is sacrilege on HFB, where every roster move must be judged as a total success or a disgraceful failure, but both teams improved themselves here. Imagine that!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
There's so many players named Pouliot I can't even tell them all apart....

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
The kid had all of one year where he didn't progress...last year. Recency bias being what it is, people interpreted that as Pouliot becoming a total write-off.

He looked like he was getting worse defensively since his debut in 2015.

Yes, his last year was bad, probably even awful, but he had plenty of chances to make it back into the Penguins' lineup. You don't get passed up by the likes of Chad Ruhwedle and Cameron Gaunce by "not progressing." You get passed by them by taking a step or two backwards.

I don't have any issue with him being traded. In fact, I'm glad that he was. As a dozen other posters already mentioned, sometimes you need that change of scenery and I hope everything works out for him.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
HFboards seems to do this consistently. The majority of posters will hate on certain players and either scream trade them or else say they aren't worth anything in a trade. Then once that player gets traded and does well, those posters come back and rag on the GM for trading him.
Look at Eberle and Schultz. The majority of posters were saying they suck and need to be traded. Most of those same posters claimed they weren't worth anything. So they get traded for scraps and now Chiarelli is a dummy for trading them. Chiarelli is a dummy though haha.
Can't agree with this enough. Lots of fools perusing these forums.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It's almost like letting a guy play through struggles and not yo-yo-ing him between the AHL and NHL will let him figure things out and have his talent shine through.

I'm not gonna ream JR out here, but it's the same song and dance they went through with Despres. No patience and terrible asset management. It makes no sense but in the grand scheme of things it's not cripple the franchise

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We're not mad about this one. If Canucks fans are happy with Pouliot, cool, the change of scenery did him well then. Lord knows we do well with change of scenery types on the Penguins (Niskanen, Schultz, etc). They've seem to do well with a cast of misfits on the Canucks.

Pouliot hasn't been all that great with the Canucks anyways, and I've seen them play a fair amount. He has good games and games where he looks like a bust, it's too early. But yes, in general, some players just need a change of scenery at some point and will never cut it again with your team.......because you've gave them every opportunity and it's just never going to work out.

It doesn't mean it was a stupid move in hindsight.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Benning was bound to find a win with his reclamation moneyball trade gang of misfits, so this wasn’t a surprise to me. We had to go through:
-2nd round pick for Linden Vey : now playing in the KHL at over a PPG pace after playing awful and being forced out of our lineup year after year while he became one of the laughing stocks of our franchise.

- Gustav Forsling for Adam Clendenning: Forsling is now playing 20 mins a night for Chicago in a minute munching role while Adam Clendenning was an add on in our Brandon Sutter trade, never cracked our NHL roster for a decent period of time, and has since played for Edmonton, Anaheim, New York, and now Arizona where he may have finally found his footing.

-A 3rd round pick and Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan:
Another pick traded away for a player who showed small flashes but has done nothing other than hang around in Utica and get traded in the deal for Pouliot.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
It's almost like letting a guy play through struggles and not yo-yo-ing him between the AHL and NHL will let him figure things out and have his talent shine through.

I'm not gonna ream JR out here, but it's the same song and dance they went through with Despres. No patience and terrible asset management. It makes no sense but in the grand scheme of things it's not cripple the franchise

The midst of back to back cup runs is not a place to coddle and bring along a player who showed very little in terms of reaching his potential. Despres was a different situation where he was hated by Bylsma and was pushed down the depth chart by plugs like Orpik and Scuderi, even though he was outperforming them. Pouliot was losing his #8 defense spot to Cameron Gaunce and Chad Ruwhedel with his play. Glad to see the change of scenery was good for him, and while I'll forever hate that he isn't Filip Forsberg, I hope it works out for him. It wasn't going to happen in Pittsburgh.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Benning was bound to find a win with his reclamation moneyball trade gang of misfits, so this wasn’t a surprise to me. We had to go through:
-2nd round pick for Linden Vey : now playing in the KHL at over a PPG pace after playing awful and being forced out of our lineup year after year while he became one of the laughing stocks of our franchise.

- Gustav Forsling for Adam Clendenning: Forsling is now playing 20 mins a night for Chicago in a minute munching role while Adam Clendenning was an add on in our Brandon Sutter trade, never cracked our NHL roster for a decent period of time, and has since played for Edmonton, Anaheim, New York, and now Arizona where he may have finally found his footing.

-A 3rd round pick and Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan:
Another pick traded away for a player who showed small flashes but has done nothing other than hang around in Utica and get traded in the deal for Pouliot.

-Vey played far more games for us than the average 2nd round pick plays in the NHL. Roland McKeown, who was taken with the pick may or may not ever be an NHLer.
-Forsling deal looks bad in hindsight
-We ended up with Pouliot for essentially Mallet, a 3rd and 4th. Given how Pouliot has played, that is a great deal.
-You conveniently left out Baertchi and Granlund deals......those have worked out great for us.

Overall Benning has done very well with the reclamation projects. Aside from Forsling, he has given up very little, and gained some solid contributors.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
-Vey played far more games for us than the average 2nd round pick plays in the NHL. Roland McKeown, who was taken with the pick may or may not ever be an NHLer.
-Forsling deal looks bad in hindsight
-We ended up with Pouliot for essentially Mallet, a 3rd and 4th. Given how Pouliot has played, that is a great deal.
-You conveniently left out Baertchi and Granlund deals......those have worked out great for us.

Overall Benning has done very well with the reclamation projects. Aside from Forsling, he has given up very little, and gained some solid contributors.
I didn’t say that he’s done bad, I’ve just said that it was bound to happen again soon. Vey was nothing but a disappointment, and you know that if youve watched. Considering McKeown just had a stint in the NHL quickly, and he’s been pretty good in the AHL, I highly doubt that assumption will be true. All I’m saying is we can’t claim victory on Pouliot yet, he’s only had a taste. Remember how high everyone was on Cody Hodgson and how special he looked back in 2011/12? Not comparing the two but it can happen.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Remember how high everyone was on Cody Hodgson and how special he looked back in 2011/12?

You do realize the reason he flamed out was he was diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, a genetic disorder which ended his career, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad