Pouliot Trade Looks Bad

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
The part were pens drafted Pouliot is bad. How they developed him canbe said was bad.

But i dont see how the trade can be bad tho. Even if he turns Into a No 1 D, he would never have gotten his chance to play another game Pittsburgh in the first place. He would have ended up on waivers.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Rutherford can't hear you due to his Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears.
I'm not saying that winning GM's are incapable of making bad moves, but it always cracks me up with a GM who built a Stanley Cup winning squad two years in a row gets immediately questioned about his moves.

Pouliot was not working out here and really would have a hard time slotting into the top 4 in any extended capacity.

It's always easy to look good on a worse team when you're able to be given a bigger role by the coaching staff without sacrificing too much. Let's see how DP does over the course of 100 games or so, it's still incredibly early to assess.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
mmmm his possession #s look good. It's only 15 games and he has 5 points. I would hold off on the victory lap

The issue is his possession stats have always been phenomenal, even when he was playing like ****. Judging him based on his possession stats isn't accurate, he has consistently had good possession stats while playing bad.

Pouliot wasn't good for the Penguins and was waiver eligible. Pouliot had given the Penguins no reason to waive Ruhwedel (and likely lose him) to justify keeping Pouliot. He's a nothing loss, because he would never have become anything in Pittsburgh. Him suddenly remembering how to play hockey at above a fringe AHL/NHL level on another team doesn't make the trade bad for Pittsburgh.

It just wasn't working in Pittsburgh. With Letang and Schultz now, there wasn't room for him to really become a top 4 offensive D. I think it's a case of the potential was there, but it was just never going to happen on the Pens, so move him out of conference to a team where he'll be able to hopefully thrive.

The potential was there in 2015-2016, but he completely fell off a map last year and his progression was completely out of wack due to that. He was a waiver eligible D that had not established himself as a NHLer yet. Hard to say that there was serious potential there, at least for him in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
HFboards seems to do this consistently. The majority of posters will hate on certain players and either scream trade them or else say they aren't worth anything in a trade. Then once that player gets traded and does well, those posters come back and rag on the GM for trading him.
Look at Eberle and Schultz. The majority of posters were saying they suck and need to be traded. Most of those same posters claimed they weren't worth anything. So they get traded for scraps and now Chiarelli is a dummy for trading them. Chiarelli is a dummy though haha.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
well he was crap in pittsburgh so you can't blame him for trading him. how would rutherford know he'd blossom like this?

Reactions: Beebop22

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
What an awful thread. Pouliot was a bum in Pittsburgh. The guy was such a bad draft pick at the time. There was Forsberg, Trouba among others the Pens should've drafted at 8th. I doubt Rutherford or any of the fans are losing sleep over losing Pouliot, the fact that they got anything for him when they were gonna waive him a week later anyways, is great.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It's funny to me how similar the situation w/ Pouliot and the pens was to Cole and the Blues. Minus the cups...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Pens were in a tough situation as far as waivers, but I see a lot of Pens fans saying he'd never have developed here, and I ain't buying. The kid had all of one year where he didn't progress...last year. Recency bias being what it is, people interpreted that as Pouliot becoming a total write-off.

Good on the kid for taking the opportunity in Vancouver and running with it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He was hot garbage whenever he played in Pittsburgh. Sometimes you need a change of scenery to get it together. He had every chance to make the roster this year but made a poor impression in camp.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Pens were in a tough situation as far as waivers, but I see a lot of Pens fans saying he'd never have developed here, and I ain't buying. The kid had all of one year where he didn't progress...last year. Recency bias being what it is, people interpreted that as Pouliot becoming a total write-off.

Good on the kid for taking the opportunity in Vancouver and running with it.
Not sure why people are bitter. It didn't work out in Pitt for pouliot. No different than the pens benefitting from Schultz when it didn't work out in Edmonton for him.

That's life.

Reactions: Giskard

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pouliot has been a nice pick for Vancouver in that he doesn't look like a complete train wreck as other recent D pickups like Pedan, Clendening, Bartkowski, or Larsen have... but it's not like Vancouver got a guy who's now living up to his 8th overall selection all of a sudden. With the injuries Vancouver has had he's still only getting 3rd pairing minutes, and while it's always possible most players don't get much better at this stage.

So at best the trade is notable for being one where Benning didn't completely waste an asset. Otherwise it's about what you'd expect when a team trades a 4th+ for another teams excess depth.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He’s been fine in Vancouver but hardly outstanding. I don’t think Pittsburgh misses him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s been fine in Vancouver but hardly outstanding. I don’t think Pittsburgh misses him.
Pitt would have lost him to waivers. He wasn't going to make their opening day roster. Colorado had first priority and they took a dman from Dallas in nemeth. Could very well have taken pouliot if he were available.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Sometimes guys need a change of scenery to realize some of the potential they have. That said, let me know in March if Pouliot is still playing as well. He wasn’t going to be in one of the D spots this year and wouldn’t pass through waivers, so JR got what he could for him

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm still embarrassed about arguing that Pouliot was going to be a #1 defensemen and had Norris potential. Leafs fans have full rights to roast me for laughing at the suggestion of Rielly being more talented than Pouliot.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Some times good teams and good GMs make bad trades. That's the nature of the game and assessing young players. Still to early to say on this one but it's looking good for Vancouver. Obviously Pitts didn't want to lose him for nothing so I understand the rationale at least somewhat.
Rutherford has made more than his share of good moves.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
If you understand the situation, no it doesn't. Pouliot wasn't developing in Pitts and there was no way he was going to make it through waivers. It was a situation where a player needed a fresh start/wake up call. It's not uncommon. Sometimes it works and player wakes up. Sometimes it doesn't.

If he stayed in Pitts he would have turned into nothing. If he got sent down by Pitts, he would have go claimed.

SO, they made a trade. Got some assets back instead of nothing. Vancouver took a gamble it's looking good right now. But who knows, he may start stinking and there'll be a thread where the tables are turned.

I don't understand this infatuation on HF with needing to crown a winner and loser in every move, especially when its still WAAAAY too early to tell anything.

Look at Justin Shultz. It's similar to what happened with Pouliot. It was obvious Shultz wasn't going to do anything in Edm, so might as well move him along. Is anyone crying that Edm got ripped off? No. It was just time to part ways. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad