Pouliot Trade Looks Bad

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It just wasn't working in Pittsburgh. With Letang and Schultz now, there wasn't room for him to really become a top 4 offensive D. I think it's a case of the potential was there, but it was just never going to happen on the Pens, so move him out of conference to a team where he'll be able to hopefully thrive.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He looked like a #7D with a #5D ceiling for like two years straight. Pittsburgh isn't in a position to hold on to young struggling guys for as long as it takes for them to come around.

If only we had drafted Trouba instead...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He looked like a #7D with a #5D ceiling for like two years straight. Pittsburgh isn't in a position to hold on to young struggling guys for as long as it takes for them to come around.

If only we had drafted Trouba instead...

I wonder about this. If Pouliot turns into a top four defenseman as we drafted him to be, I think you can make the argument regardless of who was drafted at that position the Pens would've probably not developed that.

Part of Pooh not succeeding here was managerial moves with him and not letting him find any consistency. He showed flashes of being a top four defenseman in 15-16 and then we brought in Schultz and he basically didn't play for a month, played two playoff games looked good in one and made a mistake in the other and didn't see any consistency the rest of his time here.

Obviously, who cares? We won two cups, but I don't think Pouliot's lack of development in Pittsburgh was all on him.

That being said, it has been ten games. I could see Vancouver doing the same exact thing to him once their D is healthy.

If we didn't sign Hunwick, I'm sure we would've held onto Pouliot. Which makes the Hunwick deal kind of frustrating in my eyes, but also sometimes players just need a change.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 105785

I wonder about this. If Pouliot turns into a top four defenseman as we drafted him to be, I think you can make the argument regardless of who was drafted at that position the Pens would've probably not developed that.

Part of Pooh not succeeding here was managerial moves with him and not letting him find any consistency. He showed flashes of being a top four defenseman in 15-16 and then we brought in Schultz and he basically didn't play for a month, played two playoff games looked good in one and made a mistake in the other and didn't see any consistency the rest of his time here.

Obviously, who cares? We won two cups, but I don't think Pouliot's lack of development in Pittsburgh was all on him.

That being said, it has been ten games. I could see Vancouver doing the same exact thing to him once their D is healthy.

If we didn't sign Hunwick, I'm sure we would've held onto Pouliot. Which makes the Hunwick deal kind of frustrating in my eyes, but also sometimes players just need a change.

Vancouver's secret is that their D is never healthy, we have like 6 "top 4" D

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Sometimes you just need a change of scenery, Pouliot needed that, and has been great

Reactions: Kreator

member 105785

You realize what team I am a fan of?

We've had two of our defenseman miss out on half a season due to a stroke and cancer.

That is what made Pouliot's development here even more bizarre.

Oh I'm aware, in 2011 season we had 7 top 4 D and I think only 5 of them were ever in the lineup at the same time. Edler, Hamhuis, Salo, Tanev, Ballard, Bieksa, and Ehrhoff.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Change of scenery was good for him. He needed playing time where he could gain some confidence and not have to worry that his next mistake would mean spending the next ten games in the press box. I think going to a team where the coach is familiar with him helped a lot as well.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Change of scenery was good for him. He needed playing time where he could gain some confidence and not have to worry that his next mistake would mean spending the next ten games in the press box. I think going to a team where the coach is familiar with him helped a lot as well.
That is a very good point.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Oh I'm aware, in 2011 season we had 7 top 4 D and I think only 5 of them were ever in the lineup at the same time. Edler, Hamhuis, Salo, Tanev, Ballard, Bieksa, and Ehrhoff.

Tanev wasn't top 4 D yet. He was up and down from the AHL. Salo was hurt for first 55 games. When Salo came back. Edler was hurt. Only the last game of the regular season and first few games of the playoffs we had Our top 6 D Hamhuis/Bieksa Edler/Ehrhoff and Ballard/Salo. After first few games of the playoffs Ballard was healthy scratch for a lot of the playoffs. Rome and Alberts replace Ballard. When Hamhuis was hurt and Rome got suspended in the finals. Ballard was still a healthy scratch. Tanev and Alberta played ahead of Ballard

member 105785

Tanev wasn't top 4 D yet. He was up and down from the AHL. Salo was hurt for first 55 games. When Salo came back. Edler was hurt. Only the last game of the regular season and first few games of the playoffs we had Our top 6 D Hamhuis/Bieksa Edler/Ehrhoff and Ballard/Salo. After first few games of the playoffs Ballard was healthy scratch for a lot of the playoffs. Rome and Alberts replace Ballard. When Hamhuis was hurt and Rome got suspended in the finals. Ballard was still a healthy scratch. Tanev and Alberta played ahead of Ballard

Did Tanev play with Alberts? I could have sworn it was Alberts - Rome and Tanev - somebody else

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Good trade for both sides. Pittsburgh got assets for someone they were going to put on waivers (and likely Colorado would claim him) and the Canucks got a chance at working on a top 10 pick while they are still young enough to have some progression. They only gave up a fourth. Pouliot is definitely playing well, and is seeming to be more comfortable in his own zone, so I'm very happy with the trade so far

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If after the 2012 NHL draft, i lived in a cave with no connection to the outside world, and then i was given tapes of the 15 Canucks games that Pouliot has played this year... i'd think that the Canucks gave up a serious piece to get Pouliot.
He's looking like a 23 year old, number 4 , second pairing damn playing well in all three zones and really helping the teams transition game. If he keeps this pace up the whole year, he's realigned his progression and is on track as to where you think he'd be considering he was taken 8th overall.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
mmmm his possession #s look good. It's only 15 games and he has 5 points. I would hold off on the victory lap

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Did Tanev play with Alberts? I could have sworn it was Alberts - Rome and Tanev - somebody else

Tanev only played 25 games in the regular season and 5 in the playoffs. In the playoffs Tanev and Alberts did play a few games together when Rome got suspended and Hamhuis got hurt. The pairings was like Edler/Bieksa Ehrhoff/Salo Alberts/Tanev

Don't think Alberts Tanev played much in the regular season because Alberts was hurt for most of the 2nd half and Tanev didn't get called up until few months into the season.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
For someone who was drafted as a point producing defenceman 8th overall and was expected to be that for the Penguins .He couldn't do it so in that aspect so far in his career he's a bust but it doesn't mean he can't play in the league . Pittsburgh drafted him thinking they were getting a Zach Werenski type defenceman instead they drafted and eventually traded Pouliot who's still an unknown more than 5 years after being drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->