Pre-Game Talk: Potential P-Word Preview: Montreal Canadiens @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Saturday Apr. 13

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
There's no denying Orr and McClaren have done a great job in their roles this year.
Their role will be diminished if not completely eliminated in the playoffs.
If they play a team like Montreal in the playoffs and play the same way, they'll see themselves in the box fairly regularly.

Montreal has a 4th line that's built for the playoffs. All 3 of their 4th liners can consistently play on the 3rd line and are the primary penalty killers for the Canadiens.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

I thought I'd compare the front offices of the two teams, and it's not even close, it's obvious the Habs are in it for the long haul. Player development is were the Habs really shine. They have Lapointe, Mellanby, and Brisbois all who have played 1000 nhl games, Mellanby works with the Forwards throughout the system and Brisbois does the same with Defencemen with Lapointe over sees all the prospects in the system. The Leafs have Bobby Hughes who has no nhl experience doing it all. The scouting staffs stick out like a sore thumb, I actually recognize most of the scouts who have played at the pro level on the Habs. To top it off the GM has played over a 1000 games and his two asst GM's have also played at the nhl level, our GM has not and is not surrounded by the evaluation talent that the Habs GM has at his disposal. And the prospect list proves it, Habs by wide margin, their forward prospects are being tutored by Mellanby and their defencemen by Brisbois on a daily basis as they travel the world working with these young prospects, while Hughes works with all the prospects by himself. The long term future favours the Habs by a large margin.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Leafs draw their fair share of penalties too, no? I think both teams are really fast. I don't see the Leafs not being able to keep up with them.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I thought I'd compare the front offices of the two teams, and it's not even close, it's obvious the Habs are in it for the long haul. Player development is were the Habs really shine. They have Lapointe, Mellanby, and Brisbois all who have played 1000 nhl games, Mellanby works with the Forwards throughout the system and Brisbois does the same with Defencemen with Lapointe over sees all the prospects in the system. The Leafs have Bobby Hughes who has no nhl experience doing it all. The scouting staffs stick out like a sore thumb, I actually recognize most of the scouts who have played at the pro level on the Habs. To top it off the GM has played over a 1000 games and his two asst GM's have also played at the nhl level, our GM has not and is not surrounded by the evaluation talent that the Habs GM has at his disposal. And the prospect list proves it, Habs by wide margin, their forward prospects are being tutored by Mellanby and their defencemen by Brisbois on a daily basis as they travel the world working with these young prospects, while Hughes works with all the prospects by himself. The long term future favours the Habs by a large margin.

Ken Holland had such an illustrious career in the NHL as a goaltender. No wonder he's such a good GM for the Red Wings.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There's no denying Orr and McClaren have done a great job in their roles this year.
If they play a team like Montreal in the playoffs and play the same way, they'll see themselves in the box fairly regularly.

Montreal has a 4th line that's built for the playoffs. All 3 of their 4th liners can consistently play on the 3rd line and are the primary penalty killers for the Canadiens.

I've gotta ask...why? Unless i missed the rule change that body contact is no longer allowed in the postseason.:laugh:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Ken Holland had such an illustrious career in the NHL as a goaltender. No wonder he's such a good GM for the Red Wings.

I'm talking about the development personel that's what it's all about. If you look at the big picture does Nonis have more credentials than Gordie Stelleck does to be the Leafs GM.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I've gotta ask...why? Unless i missed the rule change that body contact is no longer allowed in the postseason.:laugh:

Exactly. Orr doesn't take many stupid penalties, and neither does McLaren.

None of those guys will be in the penalty box regularly if they're playing. They know their roles.

We also have a versatile Frattin, McClement, Komarov and Hamilton who can play those roles if needed.

Bottom 6 or our 4th line guys is the last thing I'm worried about.

jughead42*

It warms the cockles of my heart to know a guy they used to call Breeze-by because he played like a pylon will be instructing the Habs blueline prospects. Awesome news.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Canadiens players won't engage and the refs will take penalize the instigator.

Orr and McLaren don't just randomly jump people for no good reason. The only example of that was with Kaleta in Buffalo, and even then Kaleta had it coming. Besides that, neither of them have done anything to jeopardize this team.

Asif16*

Orr and McLaren don't just randomly jump people for no good reason. The only example of that was with Kaleta in Buffalo, and even then Kaleta had it coming. Besides that, neither of them have done anything to jeopardize this team.

Habs fans are trying to save their ***** from looking soft, by coming out and saying stuff like "Orr and Mclren arent hockey players, they're just goons", "It wont work", "I dont care if our players get pummeled, we will go ahead and try to fail on the powerplay", "we dont engage in fisticuffs because we are a clean teams that plays the game the right way", "Our fourth liner are better hockey players than yours". LOL

Whining already. I wonder what level the whining is gonna get too in the playoffs

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Imagine if our last game of the season vs. the Habs will determine home ice advantage...

That would be great. I don't think we can make up the 6 pts. though. Too many points.

We need a big one this Saturday. I might go down and try to get nosebleed seats after the game starts.

Best Avatar EVER!

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto

Maybe you should take your own advice of watching the games of the team you're talking about before posting.

Or just read below.

Exactly. Orr doesn't take many stupid penalties, and neither does McLaren.

None of those guys will be in the penalty box regularly if they're playing. They know their roles.

We also have a versatile Frattin, McClement, Komarov and Hamilton who can play those roles if needed.

Bottom 6 or our 4th line guys is the last thing I'm worried about.

Love how we already have a Montreal fan coming here to just to tell us how great their bottom forwards will be in the playoffs where as ours will be useless.

SteveV*

What I find intriguing about possible series, one of the best PP's meets one of the best PK's, another reason I like how we matchup against the Scabs.

Asif16*

Maybe you should take your own advice of watching the games of the team you're talking about before posting.

Or just read below.

Love how we already have a Montreal fan coming here to just to tell us how great their bottom forwards will be in the playoffs where as ours will be useless.

Didnt we beat them on the scoreboard and physically, having both Mclaren and Orr on the team once already?? Yet they make it sound like the leafs are bottom feeders and its all becuase of ORR and MCLAREN. lol.

Soft tings

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Didnt we beat them on the scoreboard and physically, having both Mclaren and Orr on the team once already?? Yet they make it sound like the leafs are bottom feeders and its all becuase of ORR and MCLAREN. lol.

Soft tings

We beat them twice this year. Lost once.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Why are Habs fans so worried about Leafs dressing or not dressing Orr and MacLaren?

:laugh:

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010

Frankly....who cares if their front office has NHL games under their belt? There are plenty of examples of great players that are garbage scouts/coaches/trainers, and plenty of amazing scouts/coaches/trainers that never made the NHL. I honestly don't think it matters as much as you think it does....a good coach/trainer/etc is a good coach, regardless of whether or not they played in the NHL. Wayne Gretzky has a pretty dismal career as a Coach, and he's arguably the best hockey player that ever lived.

Some people can play the sport, some people can think about the sport intellectually. If I had to choose ONE of those traits, I'd go with the smarter hockey mind everytime over the better hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad