Post-Game Talk: Post Mortem Analysis

Janka

Jan 5, 2009
Massachusetts
I do have to say I liked what I saw from Montour this playoffs, despite what Randy Bo Bandy says. Once that kid gets more confidence and settles in he is going to be a great defenseman! And of course Gibson continued to carry to the team.

Everyone else was pretty underwhelming or just whelming.

Agreed on Montour, although I don't think confidence is an issue for him. That is, unless Carlyle has beaten it out of him with his scapegoating.

Reactions: pbgoalie

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
I don't think the window is closed, as long as some prospects develop well. If even one of Steel, Jones, or Terry can make an impact next season, and one of Larsson, Wellinski, or Pettersson can become a solid bottom pairing guy, they'll be fine next year.

Getzlaf-Kesler-Henrique is still excellent center depth. Rakell and Silf are solid top 6 wingers, while Perry and Kase are 2nd/3rd line tweeners. They will be a playoff team next year. If they want to contend then they'll need prospects to make some jumps.

No need to rebuild. I think we get spoiled sometimes even with the terrible playoff losses. The Ducks have taken it to at least six in every series they've lost except for Dallas in 08 and Edmonton 06. They were bound to have a really shitty showing eventually. Think how many sweeps we have been on the right side of. Detroit. Minny. Colroado. Winnipeg. Calgary. It was just bound to happen eventually.

I don't think it's because they didn't care. I think that's a lazy excuse for fans. They looked like they cared and I believe everyone was busting their ass. The execution was just downright terrible, and on top of it they could not catch a f***ing break. But that's sports sometimes.

All I know is, as a Charger fan, I would kill to see my team in the playoffs. Don't take that shit for granted.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Trade Ritchie while he has some value

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Rakell, Cogliano, Silfverberg, Fowler, Ritchie, Henrique, Lindholm, Manson, everyone not named Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry, or Eaves.

Lindholm + Ritchie + 2nd for EK.
I think for us to be able to afford EK it would have to be Fowler.

I could see silf moved, even Henrique if the contract talks don't go anywhere. Ritchie is a sell low, I guess he could be. Not sure what that does.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not saying I think it's a bad idea, but it's also the same kind of talk that happened when we still had Palmieri.
Palms showed scoring ability and not much else... Ritchie shows nothing unless we are playing the Kings.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Omg, I decided to go for a sneak on some Ducks Facebook page. Holy shit, you think that Gibson lost this series all by himself. Big mistake going there

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think for us to be able to afford EK it would have to be Fowler.

I could see silf moved, even Henrique if the contract talks don't go anywhere. Ritchie is a sell low, I guess he could be. Not sure what that does.
Yes, but I think that for Ottawa to trade EK without us having to take Ryan back it would have to be Lindholm.

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
Omg, I decided to go for a sneak on some Ducks Facebook page. Holy ****, you think that Gibson lost this series all by himself. Big mistake going there

I imagine Team Facebook pages are like the Yahoo comments section.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ritchie's value is a 2nd round pick right now

That's not the move this team needs to be focused on. The focus should be on getting younger and more skilled this offseason. Ditch Bieksa, Vermette, Chimera, Kelly, etc and give some younger/hungrier guys more of a look next year.

Hope/pray Terry and Steel show up at camp stronger.

BM should be on the phones seeing what he can get for several players and someone wants to overpay he should pull the trigger. I think its time for a shakeup for sure. Doesn't have to be a nuclear rebuild but get some fresh blood in that locker room and start a culture change. Even if the team takes a bit of a step back in the short term I think it will be worth it to shake things up and let some younger guys get a better look

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Roy should be ready, as well as Kossila for sure. Kerdiles might be ready for a 4th line grind role.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Pretty much besides Cogs and Montour, no one did anything in this series.

Getzlaf was fully to blame on the second goal against tonight. I was at the viewing (more like a funeral than a party) so I couldn’t fully tell if it were he or Pettersson that lost their man on the first goal.

Perry had so many chances tonight, and couldn’t do anything with them. It was infuriating.

Gibson wasn’t all-world in this series, but it didn’t matter with the chances we gave up combined with scoring 5 goals total.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Subject might have already been dead before the four instances of blunt force trauma which made identification of subject largely impossible. No teeth were found on the decaying body, ruling out a comparison with dental records. There have been several missing-person-reports in the area that will be re-investigated to check for potential matches.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1. Let Carlyle go
2. Search for a coach that is willing to roll 4 competitive lines and not run Getzlaf to the ground with 25-26 minute games
3. Give the best strenght/conditioning workout plans to Steel and Terry, let them get ready for next year
4. Give Ritchie an offseason plan to regain his skating and shot. Make him listen to classical music all summer to tone dem nerves down a bit
5. Resign Grant
6. Do whatever you can to help Kes heal. Hips don`t lie
7. Bag skate Perry for whole summer or until he is somewhat quick
8. Solve the situation with RFAs. Someone will have to go

I do believe we still have a lot of pieces. I do believe Murray is a good GM that should stay. But we desperately need a new coach who doesn`t run his top players to the ground. We have to gradually move the pressure from Getz to new generation and we sure as heck will need 4 lines for that.
Let us rest and regroup. And focus on skating and conditioning in the offseason, ffs

GO DUCKS!

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Getzlaf played 21 minutes per in the regular season and playoffs. That's right around what's he's averaged since 2011 give or take a minute or so. In a perfect world he'd be closer to 19, but you can't use fatigue as an excuse when he only played 56 games this year. There's no reason he shouldn't have been fresh for the playoffs.

Anything less than a new coach and GM along with the letters being stripped from Getzlaf/Perry is not enough IMO. Hopefully Henry's pocketbook is feeling a little light after this flame out.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Why is people so bitter? I couldn't watch the team as much as many if you, but to me it was pretty clear that after barely making the playoffs, we weren't contenders. The sweep and the way we played made everything worse, I agree, bit I think this was really the ceiling for a team with 1.5 effective lines.
Rebuild is a big word, just send the dead weights out and get some youngsters of just somebody who gives a shit about playing in the NHL (see Vegas). And fire Carlyle of course.
Our window closed way before today as I said before, but we're not ready to be a crappy ass team fighting for a lottery pick, we're stuck in a limbo (making/missing the playoffs): we can only hope barstool or whoever replaces him understand it's time for big changes.
BTW when Kesler was signed to that cobtrcon, I kbek or would turn into an albatross, but it has happened sooner than expected. Good luck in getting him at 80% of what he was.

Reactions: Trojans86 and Kalv
Oct 18, 2011
Ritchie's value is a 2nd round pick right now

That's not the move this team needs to be focused on. The focus should be on getting younger and more skilled this offseason. Ditch Bieksa, Vermette, Chimera, Kelly, etc and give some younger/hungrier guys more of a look next year.

Hope/pray Terry and Steel show up at camp stronger.

BM should be on the phones seeing what he can get for several players and someone wants to overpay he should pull the trigger. I think its time for a shakeup for sure. Doesn't have to be a nuclear rebuild but get some fresh blood in that locker room and start a culture change. Even if the team takes a bit of a step back in the short term I think it will be worth it to shake things up and let some younger guys get a better look
If anything Bob Should keep his mouth shut(except for firing the coach) about changes. He promised stuff last year and did nothing. He's gotta be stealth I feel like that talk may have hurt his leverage.

That or he's gottabe clear to the League he'll listen to anything. We can't bring this slow team back again

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad