Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Whenever Stewart has had more than 16 mins of ice-time per game and more than 2 mins of PP time he has produced at 30+ goal pace.
Hitchcock and Stewart don't like each other.

that's because in 11-12 and this year and every playoff he's been, he's played like an ass. it would be very counter productive to play him that much.

he got that much ice time last year because he actually played well.

his points/60 with blues every year.

so it really isn't just about ice time. last year he just had sh% that was much higher than his career average.

wonder why hitch, who wants effort and emphasizes D a lot, doesn't like stewart.

I think Stewart would be as productive (if not more) with the Wings would be a lot more affordable against the cap and brings some much needed toughness.

i don't think he would be as productive

Vanek is a younger, more expensive and less physical Franzen who has scored more than Franzen (or Stewart for that matter)in the past because he wasn't required to be as responsible defensively, got more ice-time and ALWAYS plays with his best teammates.

his point pace has also been consistently better than that of stewart. every year the past 4 years. he wouldn't need to be more responsible defensively than bert or franzen who aren't that responsible and he can certainly do that.

The Wings don't need any forwards who aren't big, physical and can score.

vanek is big and can score. that's enough for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I strongly disagree.

Agreed.

Being one of the best offensive defenseman does not mean you are necessarily one of the best PPQBS.

Kronwall is not.
Kindl was a better QB on the PP than Kronwall for parts of last year.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Agreed.

Being one of the best offensive defenseman does not mean you are necessarily one of the best PPQBS.

Kronwall is not.
Kindl was a better QB on the PP than Kronwall for parts of last year.

..... No.

Johnz96*

I strongly disagree.

He is currently 7th among d-men for PP scoring on a team that is 10th on the PP having the 24th most ice-time on the PP.
He has scored a point every 10.2 mins of PP time which is actually better then Karlsson who leads the league's d-men in PP scoring with 13 PP points but has had 55 more PP mins and has scored a point every 12.1 mins of PP time.
You have a typical grass is greener on the other side, glass is half empty perspective on things.
Who do you suggest the Wings should get to have a true #1 PP QB?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is currently 7th among d-men for PP scoring on a team that is 10th on the PP having the 24th most ice-time on the PP.
He has scored a point every 10.2 mins of PP time which is actually better then Karlsson who leads the league's d-men in PP scoring with 13 PP points but has had 55 more PP mins and has scored a point every 12.1 mins of PP time.
You have a typical grass is greener on the other side, glass is half empty perspective on things.

No one, just hang tight. Ryan Sproul is going to be that guy in ~2 years.

The knock on Kronwall as a PP QB isn't as much of production, as it is the eye test. The way he positions on the PP and his tendencies aren't typically those of one that is a "QB" on the PP.

Watch Ryan Sproul's juinior highlights, or AHL highlights, and that is a guy that QB's the PP.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
..... No.

Go back and look at some GDT's from last year. It was mentioned several times throughout the year.

Even going into this year a lot of people thought Kindl on the 1st PP was a reasonable idea.

Johnz96*

Go back and look at some GDT's from last year. It was mentioned several times throughout the year.

Even going into this year a lot of people thought Kindl on the 1st PP was a reasonable idea.

People say the darndest things

NyquistIsMyGod*

There is no ****ing way that I'm going back to look at a game thread seeing as this site has about 500 posts per GT. I watched about 40 regular season games last year (missed a stretch when I was out of North America). I've watched every game this season besides Buffalo, and pieces of both Florida games.

Jakub Kindl is a bonehead on the PP. He really is. Those soft wrist shots towards the net with no screen, and the fact that he cannot keep the puck in. Kindl on the first unit. He didn't look bad, nor did he look good. Dats and Zetterberg if I'm not mistaken completely ran everything. Kindl wasn't able to do anything with it.

Kronwall can keep the puck in. He's actually solid at that. No Nick Lidstrom or Pavel Datsyuk, but solid. He passes cross netural zone, and throws some soldi shots on net. Great passer. Shot is solid. Sometimes he'll shoot it with no screen, but a lot of defenseman do that. Not the best, but it's not the worst. His pinches are always solid too, though he generally gets robbed in close as he goes high each time.

Kronny is a legit first unit PP QB. He's not a speclalist like a couple others, nor is he Erik Karlsson. I'm fine with him though. He does his job, and does it well.

You adn I seem to disagree a lot, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on needing another defenseman. Last season Brunner obviously struggled on it, and this season we're using Kidnl adn Sammy on unit 2. DeKeyser looked good, but it's like we're using left overs. Smith was a player that we thought that would take that role, but obviously hasn't. I hope he's on there tonight with Andersson in the middle. Luckily Almquist may be up next year and in 15/16, Ryan Sproul should be ready, and he could be elite.

tunasnacks*

Kindl last year on the PP was a solid QB. He hasn't been so spectacular this year.

Johnz96*

There is no ****ing way that I'm going back to look at a game thread seeing as this site has about 500 posts per GT. I watched about 40 regular season games last year (missed a stretch when I was out of North America). I've watched every game this season besides Buffalo, and pieces of both Florida games.

Jakub Kindl is a bonehead on the PP. He really is. Those soft wrist shots towards the net with no screen, and the fact that he cannot keep the puck in. Kindl on the first unit. He didn't look bad, nor did he look good. Dats and Zetterberg if I'm not mistaken completely ran everything. Kindl wasn't able to do anything with it.

Kronwall can keep the puck in. He's actually solid at that. No Nick Lidstrom or Pavel Datsyuk, but solid. He passes cross netural zone, and throws some soldi shots on net. Great passer. Shot is solid. Sometimes he'll shoot it with no screen, but a lot of defenseman do that. Not the best, but it's not the worst. His pinches are always solid too, though he generally gets robbed in close as he goes high each time.

Kronny is a legit first unit PP QB. He's not a speclalist like a couple others, nor is he Erik Karlsson. I'm fine with him though. He does his job, and does it well.

You adn I seem to disagree a lot, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on needing another defenseman. Last season Brunner obviously struggled on it, and this season we're using Kidnl adn Sammy on unit 2. DeKeyser looked good, but it's like we're using left overs. Smith was a player that we thought that would take that role, but obviously hasn't. I hope he's on there tonight with Andersson in the middle. Luckily Almquist may be up next year and in 15/16, Ryan Sproul should be ready, and he could be elite.

Smith is actually scoring at a higher points per minute played ES pace than Kindl. It's not his fault that the coach is stupid and won't play him on the PP. I believe when finally given the opportunity, he will prove that he IS a better PP QB than Kindl.
WTF is Babcock thinking??? Blashill always played Smith on the PP and never on the PK and that's how it should be.
He plays tentatively and seems too scared of ******* up rather than just playing.
I think once he gets unleashed and starts racking up some points on the PP his game and confidence will come together.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We do disagree a bit, but I am appreciate your point of view.

If you did watch Kindl last year I don't know how you can't appreciate some of what he was doing. It's clear you dislike the guy though. He had stretches where he was waking the line extremely well, better than kronwall at times, and his shots got through traffic more than the other guys on the point. When the guy is on and playing with confidence he shows those flashes of being on another level, I mean which is why he was a 1st round pick. But he doesn't bring it enough, and the points don't follow.

But we can agree he's been awful this year. Not just on the pp but in all 3 zones. But that doesn't make me forget about how he played last year.

And I love Kronwall, and he's been a beast this year. But his play style and tendencies don't match up with a PP QB. Same with Smith. Talented offensive d men who can lead the rush, but when you set up a cycle they don't excel at QBing the PP.

Johnz96*

We do disagree a bit, but I am appreciate your point of view.

If you did watch Kindl last year I don't know how you can't appreciate some of what he was doing. It's clear you dislike the guy though. He had stretches where he was waking the line extremely well, better than kronwall at times, and his shots got through traffic more than the other guys on the point. When the guy is on and playing with confidence he shows those flashes of being on another level, I mean which is why he was a 1st round pick. But he doesn't bring it enough, and the points don't follow.

But we can agree he's been awful this year. Not just on the pp but in all 3 zones. But that doesn't make me forget about how he played last year.

And I love Kronwall, and he's been a beast this year. But his play style and tendencies don't match up with a PP QB. Same with Smith. Talented offensive d men who can lead the rush, but when you set up a cycle they don't excel at QBing the PP.

Bottom line on the PP is production and Kronwall is one of the best in the league.
Smith hasn't had the opportunity yet at the NHL level but was very productive on the PP in the AHL much more so than Kindl.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
kindl has better pp production his year, relative to ice time than

karlsson
garrison
byfuglien
suter
boyle
OEL
phaneuf
doughty

etc.

24th of 77 players who have played at least 50 mins on pp.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
kindl has better pp production his year, relative to ice time than

karlsson
garrison
byfuglien
suter
boyle
OEL
phaneuf
doughty

etc.

24th of 77 players who have played at least 50 mins on pp.

What?! That doesn't seem right at all

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the arguing over whether or not Kronwall is a 1st unit guy or not is missing the point a bit. He might be able to get some points up from the spot, and his style is a bit different from what we're accustomed to with Lids and Rafalski back there. Still, he used to be the guy who anchored our 2nd unit, and he was at best the third best puck mover on the team in any situation. Now, he's the first. We've taken a massive step back in that from our blueline.

yeah, tell me about it.

check it out

Patrick Weircioch and Nick Leddy are ahead of those guys, too, while Eric Gelinas leads the league. Reminds me of the advanced baseball stats that tried to show Peralta as the third best defensive shortstop a couple of years ago.

It's too bad you can't set the minutes filter to 80 or so (rather than 100) to attempt to separate the first and second unit D guys a bit. the guy who impresses me the most is Yandle -tons of minutes and gobs of production.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

I don't think he's a qb though. He more steps into the play and let's our forwards be the qb closer to the net. Not to say he isn't great on the PP but not a true qb dman

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Patrick Weircioch and Nick Leddy are ahead of those guys, too, while Eric Gelinas leads the league. Reminds me of the advanced baseball stats that tried to show Peralta as the third best defensive shortstop a couple of years ago.

It's too bad you can't set the minutes filter to 80 or so (rather than 100) to attempt to separate the first and second unit D guys a bit. the guy who impresses me the most is Yandle -tons of minutes and gobs of production.

i'm not arguing anything, except kindl has had great production so far. and is deservedly on pp.

but too small sample size and too many variables to draw anything conclusive. it really doesn't tell much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad