Series Talk: (POLL) Do you think the Pens will qualify for the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Will the Penguins make the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

• Total voters

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
they will most likely make the playoffs but it will be for sure another embarrassing 1st round loss followed by a 3 year extension of Mike Sullivan's contract.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I do think so, but they need to stop the bleeding on defense. If Letang and Petry are both out for more than a month I think it looks really dicey.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Sully haters will hate this. But we should of won last year and it wasnt Sullys fault. 3rd string goalie and that wanker Trouba deliberately head hunting isnt on Sully.
This might hold more weight if we'd just lost outright to the Rangers and never been in a position to win because of goaltending. But we got out to a 3-1 series lead and also held 2-goal leads in games we ended up losing.

Plus, Jarry played in Game 7 and the result was the same.

At some point, regardless of who you're missing, having a 3-1 series lead should result in a series win. But Sullivan's teams simply are incapable of putting teams away when they have the chance since around 2018.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Qualifying/qualifying round play in, (what's the difference?) other than qualifying play in round is not the playoffs, it determines who's in the playoffs. Either expand the playoffs with more teams or don't do play ins.

Yes. They will make the playoffs in the truer sense of the word as one of the wildcard teams or better.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus, until the TDL where they could conceivably add a difference maker, I'm not totally writing them off 'til that time comes. They have some attractive assets no matter what anyone wants to believe it or not.

One thing I hate hearing is that they are attached to the whole (we are old) excuse. It's about having a solid team plan and all of its players playing their roles as close to perfect as possible while getting some puck luck and even the other team having unfortunate issues happen to them that has cost the Pens dearly over the years. They just need that 1 run where things go as best to plans as possible.

Ask these kind of questions at the TDL.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Plus, until the TDL where they could conceivably add a difference maker, I'm not totally writing them off 'til that time comes. They have some attractive assets no matter what anyone wants to believe it or not.

One thing I hate hearing is that they are attached to the whole (we are old) excuse. It's about having a solid team plan and all of its players playing their roles as close to perfect as possible while getting some puck luck and even the other team having unfortunate issues happen to them that has cost the Pens dearly over the years. They just need that 1 run where things go as best to plans as possible.

Ask these kind of questions at the TDL.
Ooo I got it! Toews at the deadline for our 3rd line center. Brings intangibles and age to our team! :sarcasm:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The Sully haters will hate this. But we should have won last year and it wasnt Sullys fault. 3rd string goalie and that wanker Trouba deliberately head hunting isnt on Sully.
Most coaches, knowing the situation with the goalie, would try to actually focus on playing some defense. Instead, they blew leads in every single elimination game because Sully refused to adjust to playing with a lead.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
The Sully haters will hate this. But we should of won last year and it wasnt Sullys fault. 3rd string goalie and that wanker Trouba deliberately head hunting isnt on Sully.

Or is it?

It can be debated whether Sully or Hextall is most to blame (I'll go with Sully), but maybe if the Penguins weren't consistently the wussiest team with the wussiest coach in the NHL then maybe they don't find themselves on the receiving end of so many cheap shots (Rakell, Sid) and maybe teams don't freely run our goalies as often as possible (Anders Lee injuring Jarry near the end of last season; Kappo Kakko [I think] running DeSmith in game 1 of the NYR series) with little to no risk of penalty and literally zero risk of retaliation, and we aren't forced to use some ECHL-level backstop in a playoff series.

Any respondents can skip the tired old (and quite stupid) "Oh, so you want us to just be a team of goons" argument.**

We don't need a useless jarhead like Ryan Reaves to protect our poor, weak little smurfs. Mike Sullivan would be appalled if it happened here, but I've noticed that players on other teams are actually allowed to stand up for each other -- and if dropping the gloves isn't the most effective answer at the moment, then "doing unto others as they have done unto you" might work better. In any case, I know what the answer to the problem surely is NOT:

"Just play".

Anyone who believes that a healthy Penguin team would have beaten NYR last April -- and the feeling among Pens fans is pretty much unanimous that they would have -- might want to try to recall exactly how those unhealthy players suddenly became unhealthy.

** Respondents can also skip the wussiest argument of all: "If we ever dare to retaliate even once, the opponent will target our top players eVaN mOaR!!!!". We certainly can't risk someone taking a deliberate cheap shot at Crosby.... oh, wait.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
Sully is what he is, for better or worse.. But the Penguins players outplayed both first round opponents the past two seasons. Goaltending really did cost us the past two seasons. The skill position players have shown they can compete in a 7 game series. I really think we would have made it to the ECF last year, and likely lost to Tampa, had our goalies been healthy... But this team isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Flawed, yes. Bad, no. They'll be back in the playoffs and hopefully nothing stupid happens this time.

As to the comment about protecting themselves.. This team really hasn't been able to successfully contend and protect themselves since the 09 run. Even during the back-to-back SCF wins, we witnessed Crosby nearly get decapitated among many other cheap shots without much of any pushback. Those teams were also faster and younger, and were able to recover faster. Reeves sure wasn't the answer, but this team can't rely solely on the speed game anymore.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Or is it?

It can be debated whether Sully or Hextall is most to blame (I'll go with Sully), but maybe if the Penguins weren't consistently the wussiest team with the wussiest coach in the NHL then maybe they don't find themselves on the receiving end of so many cheap shots (Rakell, Sid) and maybe teams don't freely run our goalies as often as possible (Anders Lee injuring Jarry near the end of last season; Kappo Kakko [I think] running DeSmith in game 1 of the NYR series) with little to no risk of penalty and literally zero risk of retaliation, and we aren't forced to use some ECHL-level backstop in a playoff series.

Any respondents can skip the tired old (and quite stupid) "Oh, so you want us to just be a team of goons" argument.**

We don't need a useless jarhead like Ryan Reaves to protect our poor, weak little smurfs. Mike Sullivan would be appalled if it happened here, but I've noticed that players on other teams are actually allowed to stand up for each other -- and if dropping the gloves isn't the most effective answer at the moment, then "doing unto others as they have done unto you" might work better. In any case, I know what the answer to the problem surely is NOT:

"Just play".

Anyone who believes that a healthy Penguin team would have beaten NYR last April -- and the feeling among Pens fans is pretty much unanimous that they would have -- might want to try to recall exactly how those unhealthy players suddenly became unhealthy.

** Respondents can also skip the wussiest argument of all: "If we ever dare to retaliate even once, the opponent will target our top players eVaN mOaR!!!!". We certainly can't risk someone taking a deliberate cheap shot at Crosby.... oh, wait.

Well said

Reactions: Victor Z

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hmmm. I'm surprised it's a landslide like this. Kinda proud of the board tbh. They've learned their lesson from years past.

Seems like our established doomers and haters are reluctant to put their name down. So it goes with blowhards when the chips are down.

Reactions: Night Shift

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sully couldn't construct a winning roster combination to just eek out 1 winning game out of 3?
I mean.... not even 1% MiSu fault?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Unless the issues are addressed in trades and Pens stay healthy, yes they can make the playoffs. I like the roster if the smart moves like Dumo gone. a Physical LD is traded for. Dead weight is sent out and a physical RW RS fourth line winger is brought in.
Dumo and a pick to a cap team. Kap and Ruhwedel traded to the Jets for Dillon. Money is a wash but Jets need a RD for depth. Pick and prospect to Nashvile for Sessons. Yes Pens take some money but the RW 4th line is solid with Poehling and DOC. Archibald to WB
Jake Sid RR
Zucker Geno Rust
McGinn TB Carter
DOC Poehling Sessons
Heinen

Dillon Letang
Petts Petry
POJ Rutta
Friedman

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Sully is what he is, for better or worse.. But the Penguins players outplayed both first round opponents the past two seasons. Goaltending really did cost us the past two seasons.
you seem to think that goaltending is outside the realm of coaching.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
you seem to think that goaltending is outside the realm of coaching.

I mean, how do you coach up a complete mental meltdown by Jarry and an injured CDS in 2021? And tough to coach up a beer league level goalie when your 1 and 2 are out hurt last year. Still inexcusable to give up three straight 2 goal leads, but a competent starting goalie in net wins us both series.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking about goaltending, ours has been pretty mediocre lately…I guess Jarry decided that since December was nearly over, he needed to turn into his second-half season self lol

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I mean, how do you coach up a complete mental meltdown by Jarry and an injured CDS in 2021? And tough to coach up a beer league level goalie when your 1 and 2 are out hurt last year. Still inexcusable to give up three straight 2 goal leads, but a competent starting goalie in net wins us both series.
1st you put in a system that will protect your goalie.
2nd you bench your goalie (it dosen't matter how bad his replacement is) to give him a chance to get his head on right when you come back to him.
these are just the obvious things. there are others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad