Series Talk: (POLL) Do you think the Pens will qualify for the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Will the Penguins make the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

• Total voters

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Vezina is up there with Jack Adams in terms of trophies that don’t mean very much.

That said, Igor was totally beatable. We had him shook, and then we didn’t follow through and we let them reel off 3 straight wins. That’s not on our goaltending, that’s on us not being able to seal the deal.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Vezina made more sense when goalies were idiots, standing around with socks as pads.

Then you had the twin mattresses and 5XL chest protectors era.

Now it is all mathematical angles and defensive schemes to limit quality chances.
Plus, all goalie stats are largely team-dependent, which skews the numbers for the position, which in turn skews how the voters choose the Vezina winner (because they don't watch even a fraction of the games around the league, lol). There are some clear cut best goalies, sure, but I don't think the difference between the 3 finalists and the rest of the league's starters are really all that huge as they were in the era of Hašek and Brodeur or even earlier with goalies like Roy or Fuhr.

What's fun is to look all the streaky milquetoast goalies who won it. MAF. Bob. Jim Carey. Kolzig. Holtby. Rinne.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Plus, all goalie stats are largely team-dependent, which skews the numbers for the position, which in turn skews how the voters choose the Vezina winner (because they don't watch even a fraction of the games around the league, lol). There are some clear cut best goalies, sure, but I don't think the difference between the 3 finalists and the rest of the league's starters are really all that huge as they were in the era of Hašek and Brodeur or even earlier with goalies like Roy or Fuhr.

What's fun is to look all the streaky milquetoast goalies who won it. MAF. Bob. Jim Carey. Kolzig. Holtby. Rinne.

Jim Carey was like a 2 year wonder and then out of the league quick. But I remember his goalie mask, like his nickname associated with the movie. These are the cheesy things that made the 90s great. But Goalie Masks in the 90s were the best.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jim Carey was like a 2 year wonder and then out of the league quick. But I remember his goalie mask, like his nickname associated with the movie. These are the cheesy things that made the 90s great. But Goalie Masks in the 90s were the best.

The Net Detective. And the short-lived Blaine "The Lach-ness Monster" Lacher.

Reactions: Night Shift

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
They'll qualify but it will just be another 1st round embarrassment. One of these years the Pens will make it to the second round which will be just enough to not get Sullivan fired

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think they miss. Too many decent to good teams in the conference. We haven't had our usual major injury run yet, and we can't seem to put together more than 20 mins at a time.
Except now we have our top three D men out in Letang, Petry and Petts lol…can’t wait to see our D tomorrow night in Vegas lol

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Except now we have our top three D men out in Letang, Petry and Petts lol…can’t wait to see our D tomorrow night in Vegas lol

I did say "major" and "yet" because I wasn't sure what the status of Letang was. But we could be in the middle of it for all I know.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petts maintenance day and clearly the D is just going to be hard to win with. Pens once again are in the position of how good are we with all hands on deck. Pens to me if they don't make smart moves here, they are not a playoff roster with Sullivan rewarding his smurfs.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
They're gonna be a wild card team and lose to the Bs or Canes in round 1.

Pathetic.
Even if they get 2nd or 3rd seed they won't beat the Hurricanes, Devils, Rangers, Capitals or the Islanders... (in a seven-game series)
So what difference does it matter?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Vezina is up there with Jack Adams in terms of trophies that don’t mean very much.

That said, Igor was totally beatable. We had him shook, and then we didn’t follow through and we let them reel off 3 straight wins. That’s not on our goaltending, that’s on us not being able to seal the deal.
disagree Vezina is about playing at a high level consistently, sure better defensive schemes play a big role in that. However same reliance on team mates is a factor in all the individual awards pretty much, except for the one for being a gentlemen or the masterson.
Also in the playoffs we lost because of two things. Sid got cheap shotted, which extended the series and a guy like Louis gets more and more exposed the longer he plays.
We 100% dominated the rangers in almost every statistical category if memory serves we dominated them at a level we were dominating teams in our 2016 run.
You can not diminish the effect a faltering goalie has on the rest of the team and just how much momentum it gives to the other team when questionable goals are being scored.

I think we make the playoffs, I have no confidence that our goaltending will be any better this year. We've tried this a few times already with Jarry/CDS but sure let's try the exact same thing again and expect different results.
Hopefully I'm wrong and Jarry actually is healthy and actually goes on a streak, but he's gotta prove it to me at this point he's literally never been the better goalie then his opponent in the playoffs. what the hell let's try the same thing again...

Reactions: Andy99

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If they keep Sullivan?

No.

disagree Vezina is about playing at a high level consistently, sure better defensive schemes play a big role in that. However same reliance on team mates is a factor in all the individual awards pretty much, except for the one for being a gentlemen or the masterson.
Also in the playoffs we lost because of two things. Sid got cheap shotted, which extended the series and a guy like Louis gets more and more exposed the longer he plays.
We 100% dominated the rangers in almost every statistical category if memory serves we dominated them at a level we were dominating teams in our 2016 run.
You can not diminish the effect a faltering goalie has on the rest of the team and just how much momentum it gives to the other team when questionable goals are being scored.

I think we make the playoffs, I have no confidence that our goaltending will be any better this year. We've tried this a few times already with Jarry/CDS but sure let's try the exact same thing again and expect different results.
Hopefully I'm wrong and Jarry actually is healthy and actually goes on a streak, but he's gotta prove it to me at this point he's literally never been the better goalie then his opponent in the playoffs. what the hell let's try the same thing again...
Well said.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes unfortunately, this would have been the year to grab a top 10 pick. Our playoff streak is already a sham after losing the qualifying round to the Habs so who cares.
Nah. Team had a record that put them in the play offs.
Having them play a best of 5 against a team non play off team.....after being off for 5 months. 🤣
That entire season was a write off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad