Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Nothing will ever convince me that Smogon's OU council is not braindead. And this is the cherry on top.
1702739397375.png

Yeah, let's allow something with f***ing Giratina's bulk but 30 more base special attack, and the same speed tier, and access to rock polish/calm mind/stored power/good coverage (even though it doesn't need it if it teras) for setup sets, and rocks/toxic/rapid spin for support, AND a broken signature move that hits everything neutrally, to start in OU. :facepalm: It doesn't take a lot of thinking to understand it would force everyone to run at least one faster close combat user (ideally stab)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Both DLCs are so pathetic. Only got my money's worth on nostalgia by getting to shiny hunt the Minior I lost when I traded in my DS and Pokémon sun to buy my Switch at a discount.

No Battle Tower (and a replacement tournament without level scaling) even behind a paywall is atrocious. I think this is the last game in the series I get. There's some good stuff in S/V but it's drowned out by disappointments.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lmaooo and this stupid ass Union Square system made my game crash so I went from 6000BP after an hour of play to 300 (from playing solo)

Love it.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Finally beat Legend Arceus, pretty boring game, but somehow addicting in a way.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Are there any Pokemon games worth getting on the Switch? I basically quit Pokemon after Sun and Moon because I didn't enjoy it or X and Y and nothing from the gens after appealed to me at all either from what I've seen - but I don't know for sure.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Are there any Pokemon games worth getting on the Switch? I basically quit Pokemon after Sun and Moon because I didn't enjoy it or X and Y and nothing from the gens after appealed to me at all either from what I've seen - but I don't know for sure.
I would say the best on to go for Legends Arceus.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Brilliant Diamond

• Love
Reactions: LT

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Only the Let's Go series tbh

Although I have to say, I think Sword/Shield aged well only because of the DLCs

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Legends Arceus is the best IMO.
SV are fun if u go in with low expectations.
I always enjoy mystery dungeon games as well.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm gonna have to give Legends Arceus another shot. I put it down after a few hours. Could not stand the professor, but I didn't get too far into the gameplay.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
What’s the story on legends arceus? It’s the one game I haven’t played. Went to buy it a few weeeks ago but it was sold out at Best Buy and wal mart. It’s on my next game to buy list.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What’s the story on legends arceus? It’s the one game I haven’t played. Went to buy it a few weeeks ago but it was sold out at Best Buy and wal mart. It’s on my next game to buy list.

You basically fall back into ancient days in the Hisui region and so you are responsible for catching, documenting Pokemon in various ways. We're talking early, early times. Your first encounter with any kind of civilization is a settlement-fort made of wood like this is the 1700s and the Americans are rebelling against the British.

Think of it as in some ways a traditional RPG like Zelda. You'll have a main quest, some side quests. And then add in Pokemon where you need to collect and fill out a Pokedex. You don't just have to catch one Pokemon, you have to see them use moves a certain number of times, catch big ones, small ones, etc... to fill out your Pokedex. There is a story, there are boss fights that are somewhat action based as you move to harder zones in the game unlike a traditional Pokemon game.

Personally I got bored of it pretty fast but a lot of people love that gameplay and I'm a terrible judge of RPGs. I'd call it a collection of good ideas and a proof of concept personally. I liked a lot of stuff but I'm not huge on the "see Cyndaquil use Ember 20 times in the wild".

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I kinda feel like the bar has been so low that anything new in Pokemon (like LA has) was celebrated. I agree with the above, my limited exposure to it was not particularly enjoyable. But to each their own.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
You basically fall back into ancient days in the Hisui region and so you are responsible for catching, documenting Pokemon in various ways. We're talking early, early times. Your first encounter with any kind of civilization is a settlement-fort made of wood like this is the 1700s and the Americans are rebelling against the British.

Think of it as in some ways a traditional RPG like Zelda. You'll have a main quest, some side quests. And then add in Pokemon where you need to collect and fill out a Pokedex. You don't just have to catch one Pokemon, you have to see them use moves a certain number of times, catch big ones, small ones, etc... to fill out your Pokedex. There is a story, there are boss fights that are somewhat action based as you move to harder zones in the game unlike a traditional Pokemon game.

Personally I got bored of it pretty fast but a lot of people love that gameplay and I'm a terrible judge of RPGs. I'd call it a collection of good ideas and a proof of concept personally. I liked a lot of stuff but I'm not huge on the "see Cyndaquil use Ember 20 times in the wild".
Thanks for this! I do like the idea they are trying to change things up. Not all ideas will land but at least they’re trying something different.

A concept like this might work in the newer game.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We'll probably get a short segment for a game similar to Lets Go or Arceus, hopefully Johto with a ton of historical buildings, that's what I enjoyed about Gold/Silver/Crystal back in the day, the old history mixed in with the new and modern.

The vast majority will be fluff-ish for existing things like Pokemon Unite, various TV mini series stuff, Pokemon TCG.

Pipe-dream - Gameboy on NSO starts adding Pokemon games.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad