Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
thought of this today, what are the odds they come out with an improved 3rd version of Scarlet/Violet? I've yet to buy one but was debating and then i had that thought..​
It is just going to be the DLC, they won't release a new improved version.

The next game will probably be a remake of some kind.

Reactions: robertmac43

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
It is just going to be the DLC, they won't release a new improved version.

The next game will probably be a remake of some kind.

I remembered after posting the question that they said DLC replaces the 3rd version. The DLC for Sword and Shield was really good so hopefully we can get something of similar quality.

Reactions: wingsnut19

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I remembered after posting the question that they said DLC replaces the 3rd version. The DLC for Sword and Shield was really good so hopefully we can get something of similar quality.
Yeah I liked the DLC for Sword and Shield more than the core game, so I have pretty high expectations for it.

Reactions: robertmac43

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
How often do they typically provide an update or a Pokemon Direct or whatever?

I'm optimistic. Like you guys I agree that the Sword and Shield DLC was good at bringing interesting end game co-op content.

But longterm I'm still hoping for 2 things:

1) I want to see Pokemon take a size step now that it's taken a 3d step. The reason the worlds were so small back in the day was because of limitations. The Switch and the next Nintendo device will be powerful enough to handle a large world. The cities feel like towns or city blocks. The towns feel super small. The forests aren't particularly big. I want to see them re-work and re-think old regions. Why not start with Johto seen as the smallest region? Expand it. Keep the core idea of old historical buildings mixed with new modern ones but expand the size of everything to what you'd see in a modern RPG.

They were trending this way from Sword & Shield to Scarlet & Violet but lets keep increasing size.

2) I think longterm I want to see an MMO given the success of Pokemon Go at its launch. I don't want to see it soon but with AI getting better and better whether it's generating images or text conversations or procedurally generated stuff in upcoming games like Starfield I think it's time for Nintendo to start thinking about a Pokemon MMO and what that would look like. "Metaverse" gets thrown around a lot but to me it's simply a game or a medium for interacting with others. And why not make a Pokemon 'metaverse' MMO? People can fight worldwide to become the Pokemon Master for that year. If they don't want to do that there could be detailed breeding system and fashion systems. You could have more real world related stuff where you can do mining tasks or run a farm or a business or something too.

Sep 19, 2008
Hoping build a bear has more paldea starters!

PXL_20230726_122251424.jpg
PXL_20230725_213001327.jpg

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Finally read how to evolve Finizen...........

had to remove him from my team

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Nah, don't do those challenges anymore

Fair. He’s actually easy to evolve if you have a friend who plays: just battle with your friend with him (I don’t even think you have to win.), level him up, and boom, free Palafin, which - with flip turn - is well worth the price.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Definitely getting some Detective Pikachu and Scarlet/Violet DLC stuff in this. Also, give us Gens I-III on NSO (with Home compatibility, of course)!

Yeah I'm keeping expectations low. A lot of talk about Pokemon Unite, Cafe, the mobile phone games and then a little b it about Scarlet/Violet DLC.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Some rough notes:

00.00-05.00 World Championship related stuff - mostly merchandise opportunities and a new 'short' animated show.
05.00-09.00 Detective Pikachu game
09.00-10.00 Pokemon Horizons animated show teaser
10.00-12.00 Pokemon Go stuff
12.00-14.00 Pokemon Unite stuff
14.00-15.00 Pokemon Masters phone game selling using Pokemon Scarlet/Violet graphics
15.00-17.00 Pokemon Cafe
17.00-18.00 Nintendo Switch Online - Pokemon Trading Card Game for Gameboy, Pokemon Stadium 2 N64 and a few minigames.
18.00-19.00 Pokemon Sleep
19.00-21.00 Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - animated series in September!
21.00-23.30 Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - Mew available, fight Mewtwo (GETY0URMEW is code)
23.30-27.00 Pokemon Scarlet/Violet expansions teaser - first expansion Teal Mask looks story driven, dark. Second expansion Indigo Disk or whatever looks like minigames - your legendary motorcycle mount can fly (in a minigame?) lots of exploring, Mario Kart rainbow road multicolor stuff.
27.00-34.00 expansion teasers with explanations and a bit of background. Part 1 releases September 13th.

Pleasantly surprised about the fact they're adding a whole bunch of stuff to NSO. Trading Card Game and Pokemon Stadium 2 are said to be available right now (immediately).

But for a once twice a year event it's a little disappointing that's it. Detective Pikachu was the big announcement after they already announced in June.

Last edited:

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
The mystery gift Mew has a random tera type (mine is Dark).

Also new evolutions for Applin and Duraludon and new Paradox forms for Raikou and Cobalion (and since we already have Paradox forms of Suicune and Virizion, odds are there will be Paradox forrms of Entei and Terrakion later on).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I loved the TCG back in the day. Looking forward to playing that but other than that it was an underwhelming announcement imo.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I'm hoping the DLC makes scarlet/violet worthwhile like it it did for Sword/Shield.

Love that I get to play Horizon series on a Nintendo system

F3BilONXsA8PswE

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm hoping the DLC makes scarlet/violet worthwhile like it it did for Sword/Shield.

Love that I get to play Horizon series on a Nintendo system

Oh they're launching it on the Switch? I was planning on checking out the new series just to see what it's like. I stopped watching the original around Johto.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm surprised that the best rated Pokemon game is HG/SS. I'm 40 hours in and it doesn't come close to Alpha Sapphire for me. Plus the garbage AI so they have to make every gym battle insanely cheap is frustrating AF. I can appreciate having to redo battles if it makes sense but I'm facing Jasmine and get her last Pokemon to 10 HP and then she hyper potions it. I get it back to 10 HP and four straight attacks by my team miss and I run out of Pokemon. BS AI mechanics. I'm talking about moves like "cut" or "strength" for God sake. Moves that will land on every single Pokemon except because it's a gym leader, they're made to miss.

Just like now, I get her Magnemite to 25 HP with my Onix. She uses supersonic to confuse Onix, I use rock smash four times in a row and of course he hurts himself in confusion on the finishing blow. Then she gets a random critical hit in with sonicboom knocking him out. It's clockwork AF.

Reactions: LT

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
2 million XP away from level 49 in PoGo

still have about 20 lucky eggs in the chamber lol. Might as well use them during go fest this weekend
Isn't go fest next weekend? I only picked the game back up cause I saw Froakie community day and gofest were coming up but I thought it was the 26-27

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Isn't go fest next weekend? I only picked the game back up cause I saw Froakie community day and gofest were coming up but I thought it was the 26-27

I meant GoFest/Safari Zone NYC this weekend.

I really think if I utilized lucky eggs properly, I could have hit level 50 a year ago. Still play every day spinning stops and catching about 50-100 Pokémon while working, but having a two year-old hinders my playing abilities

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Bout to finish up Arceus and thinking of getting another Switch game. Which one would you guys recommend out of Let's Go/Brilliant/Shield/Violet?
Scarlet/Violet is probably the best, but its genuinely by default for me. It's fine but a downgrade on PLA in almost every aspect, however BDSP has basically no innovation from DPP, SWSH are very very bad and Let's Go... I actually quite liked, but it's hard to recommend at its price.

SV is very mid, but its getting new content and the online is pretty fine, this gen in general is a lot more fun than 8.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Scarlet/Violet is probably the best, but its genuinely by default for me. It's fine but a downgrade on PLA in almost every aspect, however BDSP has basically no innovation from DPP, SWSH are very very bad and Let's Go... I actually quite liked, but it's hard to recommend at its price.

SV is very mid, but its getting new content and the online is pretty fine, this gen in general is a lot more fun than 8.

I don't particularly care for online play so assuming money is no object, I'm deducing you'd pick let's go?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't particularly care for online play so assuming money is no object, I'm deducing you'd pick let's go?

Lets Go is a nostalgia trip if you remember the original games and anime (there's a Team Rocket story as you go on your journey similar to the show if you watched as a kid). It might also be a good fit if you have kids interested in playing co-op games with you and they like Pokemon.

I would say if you want a larger world to explore despite the graphics, performance being a bit lacking Violet and Scarlet is bigger and there is more to do but Lets Go really scratched the itch for reasons above. The anime and original games mixed together to create something like you might have imagined as a kid.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
I think its the best overall game, if that makes sense. Less content and the catching isn't for everyone - but you seemed to like PLA and the catching was unique there too - but as a game there isn't really much to complain about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad