GDT: PO Game 4: Columbus vs. Washington | 4/19 7:30PM | USA, FS-Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Anyone bothered with "I don't believe in tired" interview? Anything new? :)

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm still going with the tired theory. I expect better Saturday.

Agreed.
They just looked really fatigued. That's what I'm going with, because I fail to believe that the CBJ I've been watching kick @SS since the trade deadline suddenly disappeared.
They're too good for that.

I expect a much better performance on Saturday.

Keep believing. And if you don't, then be careful with your ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Dirtfloor

Oct 12, 2016
Fatigue

It's the only reasonable explanation in my opinion. I've never seen malaise on the team appear in just 1 game.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No, it is not just fatigue. We are being badly outcoached. Trotz set up his D to take out Bread and challenge us to come up with someone else who could beat them . We could not. Whenever Panarin had the puck in the offensive zone, the Caps sent two men to guard him and cut off his passing lanes. All Bread could do was skate around. Whenever he stopped he was immediately confronted with two Cap defenders. Trotz knew his team would score at least 3 goals and he just had to figure out how to shut us down. And he did. He eliminated Panarin from our game and we had nothing else to replace him. It was not just fatigue. We were outcoached.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Well reading through thread doesn't make me feel any better after attending that mess of a game.

Going to have to go get another one on the road and come back home and get it in 6 at home. I don't feel very confident with that prediction.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said, but the turnovers , the forced passes, the cross ice passes, are pretty concerning. No adjustments, just keep trying to force it when it ain't happening.

Play better boys , we know you're capable.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Embarrassed.

That’s how I walked out tonight with 2 mins to go... even STH spend too damn much to watch this team not give a flying F*** tonight. Even at the STH rate I regretted paying to attend this joke of a game. (CBJ gouging non-STH with $140+ for LB tickets is a whole nother story).

We’re in some serious trouble — no matter what BS the players want to say in the post game interviews... lastly, if Torts runs the same damn lineup for game 5 he deserves to be fired. :)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Embarrassed.
lastly, if Torts runs the same damn lineup for game 5 he deserves to be fired. :)
He can't adjust, never was able to, esp facing adversity, he doesn't know what to do because "i have no plan before the game, and i don't match lines". All he knows is board batlles. F..cking board battles and "check some more"! God, i can't stand that idiot.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Didn't see the game as I was watching a titanic defensive struggle ECHL playoff game (good guys 7-6 in OT). Remember, these are the Caps. Playoff failure is their specialty.

FWIW, Bob has a 2.73 gaa and .921 save percentage so far in the playoffs.

NHL.com - Stats

Reactions: MoeBartoli

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I think tonight was mental. Most of the guys don't have much experience with the ups and downs of a playoff series. Game 3 was the single most unbearable hockey game I've ever watched. All the blasted posts, a game that should've been won in regulation, then losing on a cheap goal in a 2nd OT. It was a downer.

Sometimes when you're a little drained you can sometimes convince yourself that you're more tired than you are, especially if you haven't experienced it much. Mix that in with being tentative about disappointing the fans and blowing your series advantage, and voila.

Wash has pretty relentless offensive talent. They put a lot of pressure on a team, just like the Pens.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
"Fun" fact from cannon. After they lose on Monday, CBJ will remain the only NHL team without single series win. No one expect Jets to choke right? And it's not only in NHL. That includes all major leagues. NBA, NFL MLB, every team has at least 1 PO series win.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
"Fun" fact from cannon. After they lose on Monday, CBJ will remain the only NHL team without single series win. No one expect Jets to choke right? And it's not only in NHL. That includes all major leagues. NBA, NFL MLB, every team has at least 1 PO series win.

Not even surprised. This franchise is a joke. A cruel one at that

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I believe fatigue is a factor. They were run pretty good in the first 3 games of the series, our top guys especially, and they had no gas tonight. They made "tired" mistakes. Only Boone seemed to have any legs.

Another factor, and this has been a problem all year, is the teams psyche. When you hear things such as "nervous" and "tentative", words that Torts has used multiple times this year, it's not something that magically goes away. Washington got behind the 8-ball and went down 0-2 and hit the road. Typically, that's a death nail. I think the stat was 88% of teams that go up 2-0 win the series, but Washington didn't fold and came back hard. To our guys' credit, in G3 they outplayed Washington and should/could have won. But when the pressure got put back on us after that win, we folded like a cheap suit. And this isn't the first time either. They shit their pants against Pittsburgh in almost every game they've played against them. It's a team problem. It's not something coachable either. Even Ian Cole when he came over said the team gets on nails every time a team pushes back. This blown series lead, which I said before the winner of this game will win the series, will be another tough lesson for the team. Hopefully they grow from this.

I am heavily concerned the development of Bjorkstrand though. He was supposed to take a step. He had a pretty good regular season, but down the stretch and into the playoffs he was a complete no show. We shouldn't give up on him because he has tons of potential, but his playoff will go down as Wennberg-esc from last year.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I believe fatigue is a factor. They were run pretty good in the first 3 games of the series, our top guys especially, and they had no gas tonight. They made "tired" mistakes. Only Boone seemed to have any legs.

Another factor, and this has been a problem all year, is the teams psyche. When you hear things such as "nervous" and "tentative", words that Torts has used multiple times this year, it's not something that magically goes away. Washington got behind the 8-ball and went down 0-2 and hit the road. Typically, that's a death nail. I think the stat was 88% of teams that go up 2-0 win the series, but Washington didn't fold and came back hard. To our guys' credit, in G3 they outplayed Washington and should/could have won. But when the pressure got put back on us after that win, we folded like a cheap suit. And this isn't the first time either. They **** their pants against Pittsburgh in almost every game they've played against them. It's a team problem. It's not something coachable either. Even Ian Cole when he came over said the team gets on nails every time a team pushes back. This blown series lead, which I said before the winner of this game will win the series, will be another tough lesson for the team. Hopefully they grow from this.

I am heavily concerned the development of Bjorkstrand though. He was supposed to take a step. He had a pretty good regular season, but down the stretch and into the playoffs he was a complete no show. We shouldn't give up on him because he has tons of potential, but his playoff will go down as Wennberg-esc from last year.

Bjork was a non-factor in playoffs last year too.

0 goals.
1 assist.
5 games.

He now has a career resumé in the playoffs of:

0 goals.
2 assists.
9 games.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just finished watching. A complete and utter shit show from start to finish. Aside from from 2 flurries Jackets might as well have stayed home.
Reasons?:
Torts has run the guys who play into the ground (ice)
Bob, although not his fault last night, still doesn't have a playoff game under 3.00 GA.
Washington has more playoff experience
Lack of offensive fluidity
Washington wanted it more
Holtby is a playoff stud

Disappointed in the result but much more so with the way they lost.

Still 2-2 so now its a 2 out of 3. Let us pray.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Bjorkstrand is a Danish champion so no problems with his play-off performances. It ain't like most people enter the NHL without any play-off experience or playing games of sudden death so that is not anything more than another outer excuse in the list of referees, goaltenders, fatigue and mental health.

Only the play creates speed, control and structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad