GDT: PO Game 4: Columbus vs. Washington | 4/19 7:30PM | USA, FS-Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
If we are speaking of career play-off resumes I think it is important to count all professional ice hockey champions in the team.

Bobrovski, World champion
Zatkoff, National Hockey League champion

Cole, two time National Hockey League champion
Kukan, Champions Hockey League champion
Murray, world champion
Nutivaara, SM-liiga champion
Savard, world champion

Bjorkstrand, Danish champion and Danish Cup champion
Jenner, world champion
Panarin, Gagarin Cup champion
Vanek, world championship D1|A gold leader

Team Washington:

Holtby, World Cup champion

Jerabek, Extraliga champion, 1. Liga champion
Orlov, world champion
Orpik, NHL champion

Bäckström, two time world champion
Kuznetsov, two time world champion
Ovetskin, Russian Superleague champion, three time world champion

I wouldn't say lack of experience in winning play-offs is an issue. More important might be how you play if you want to win ice hockey games.

Last edited:

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
to me, over and over again I saw their physical strength. And not just hits, I mean getting pushed around and beat in most of the battles. Compare the size of their team to ours. At a high level, we are basically 170 - 210 pounds, and they are basically 195 to 235. You could see it. If they wanted the puck, they just leaned on us and took it. We might be faster, but they are bigger, stronger, more experienced and (other than panarin), more skilled.

Washington Capitals 2017 Roster

Columbus Blue Jackets 2017 Roster

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bjorkstrand is a Danish champion so no problems with his play-off performances. It ain't like most people enter the NHL without any play-off experience or playing games of sudden death so that is not anything more than another outer excuse in the list of referees, goaltenders, fatigue and mental health.

Only the play creates speed, control and structure.

And only the players play. So what happens if the players play without speed, control and structure, because of fatigue and mental health?

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
Last night was a tough one. Washington came up with a great game plan. Put a couple guys on Panarin and make the rest of the team make plays. This was like stacking the box in football and stopping the run. Gaining the zone due to that trap they played was tough.
Columbus seems to be full of grinders who have a heck of a time making plays. There is quite a drop off in talent from Panarin.
Washington has so much more room to operate. It looks like the rink is twice as wide when they have the puck. They are just top to bottom a more talented team.
Washington has all the momentum now and game 5 will be brutal.

Reactions: Ruudukkopupuset

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
And only the players play. So what happens if the players play without speed, control and structure, because of fatigue and mental health?

Only the play creates speed, control and structure so it ain't you lose because a team of twenty lost to a team of twenty who are individually who knows where in terms of fatigue and mental health. If there was a skating and skills competition instead of a game between these two groups I doubt you would even then get meaningful differences.

In a league with no doping control and many commercial breaks I find it very hard to believe that it was about physical or mental strength this one time or about goaltenders or referees on the other nights. Your culture of discussion creates these excuses as it finds reasons to avoid analyzing the play or playbooks of these respective teams while commercializing the non-important instead. Of course in Finland we too suffered from this until the new millenium when a new way of rational thinking was launched and there is now at least a minority of followers. You come on the latter train.

Far more meaningful for the result is how the trap is set and whether you use delayed beginnings to your advantage. In SM-liiga finals in the two springs (Tappara, KalPa and Kärpät participating) the best teams have fielded the most delayed starts versus trap setting, with over 30 ones counted in the first period couple days ago.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Only the play creates speed, control and structure so it ain't you lose because a team of twenty lost to a team of twenty who are individually who knows where in terms of fatigue and mental health. If there was a skating and skills competition instead of a game between these two groups I doubt you would even then get meaningful differences.

In a league with no doping control and many commercial breaks I find it very hard to believe that it was about physical or mental strength this one time or about goaltenders or referees on the other nights. Your culture of discussion creates these excuses as it finds reasons to avoid analyzing the play or playbooks of these respective teams while commercializing the non-important instead. Of course in Finland we too suffered from this until the new millenium when a new way of rational thinking was launched and there is now at least a minority of followers. You come on the latter train.

Far more meaningful for the result is how the trap is set and whether you use delayed beginnings to your advantage. In SM-liiga finals in the two springs (Tappara, KalPa and Kärpät participating) the best teams have fielded the most delayed starts versus trap setting, with over 30 ones counted in the first period couple days ago.

Talk about oversimplification. Yes, these humans can't possibly be getting tired, having mental lapses, the referees never affect the outcome of a game, etc. They are robots designed to play/referee hockey, they are essentially identical, and it all comes down to the "playbook."

Why are you back here? The draft is over, and CBJ didn't take your favorite player of all time, Jesse P. It's time to move on.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Last night was a tough one. Washington came up with a great game plan. Put a couple guys on Panarin and make the rest of the team make plays. This was like stacking the box in football and stopping the run. Gaining the zone due to that trap they played was tough.
Columbus seems to be full of grinders who have a heck of a time making plays. There is quite a drop off in talent from Panarin.
Washington has so much more room to operate. It looks like the rink is twice as wide when they have the puck. They are just top to bottom a more talented team.
Washington has all the momentum now and game 5 will be brutal.
I agree with all of this. Painful game to watch.
Hopefully the boys show up in game 5

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Talk about oversimplification. Yes, these humans can't possibly be getting tired, having mental lapses, the referees never affect the outcome of a game, etc. They are robots designed to play/referee hockey, they are essentially identical, and it all comes down to the "playbook."

Why are you back here? The draft is over, and CBJ didn't take your favorite player of all time, Jesse P. It's time to move on.

Someone tell that geezer that I was in prison.

It does not make them humans if every loss will be explained away without judging the play. The hunt for scape goats is busy this time of the year and Grubauer and Vanek are only the latest who have had the honour of blame rather than having the privilege of the game speaking for them when games and the teams playing are put into proper context. As brother bus claimed that Fog is individually better than Wennberg I wondered ain't ice hockey more often a game of five versus five.

We are talking about a hockey team which has trained and been set up for months for these games so I do not exactly buy that the game plan was being undone only because the friend was on the go with a better skate.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Someone tell that geezer that I was in prison.

It does not make them humans if every loss will be explained away without judging the play. The hunt for scape goats is busy this time of the year and Grubauer and Vanek are only the latest who have had the honour of blame rather than having the privilege of the game speaking for them when games and the teams playing are put into proper context. As brother bus claimed that Fog is individually better than Wennberg I wondered ain't ice hockey more often a game of five versus five.

We are talking about a hockey team which has trained and been set up for months for these games so I do not exactly buy that the game plan was being undone only because the friend was on the go with a better skate.

So you believe being tired doesn't impact the level to which a human is able to execute something in a playbook?

You can judge the play and try to learn why the play failed for reasons other than the play itself.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The Caps are a deeper, more talented team. Trotz designed a scheme to neutralize Bread and we had no answer. End of story. I think it shows that while we are a good team, we are not yet in that high level of elite teams. We need a few more slices of "bread" before we get there. That being said, I still think we win Game Six and force it back to DC for a Game Seven where, under pressure of a Game 7, anything can happen. (Yes I am assuming a loss in Game 5).

If Taveras is available in the off season, JK must look at trying to get him and jettisoning Wennberg. I know the finances are bad. but it we got rid of Wennie and his salary, maybe that could be the start of balancing the books.

Back on topic. I still say we get a Game Seven.

Reactions: excaliber

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Still can’t believe how quiet NWA was for the first two periods. Almost unheard of in an NHL playoff game.

If you were the douchenoggle in the row behind me in section 203 who spent more time yelling his dissatisfaction with the crowd than with the team, then you're a douchenoggle and there's nothing else I can say.

Last edited:
Reactions: SavenForever

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Last night I,was as unhappy as most posters with our game 4 play. The list of problems is long, but it all sums up to a badly played game by the team. I'd add the timing couldn't have been worse.... a costly loss indeed.

But.....The word of emphasis here is game. As the thread evolved the criticism has bled over fromgame to the series play. Yet we were a goal post away from being up 3-0 in three thrilling OT games. Thus. I'll try to limit my kvetching to game 4.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
On one of the goals Sevard does not even get into the frame long after the puck goes in. He is just coasting back!? Lousy effort in their home rink makes no sense. One of the things I noticed about the Jackets in this series is that some guys just don't know when to get off of the ice. 40 second shifts for everyone even from your stars if you want to pull this series out. Jackets were just taking hits too and looked tentative while being beat into submission. Bobs was not near as magical as he was in games one and two. It is a uphill climb now after blowing 2 at home.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Had you told me before the series began we'd be going into game 5 tied 2-2, I'd take that. However, seeing as how the first 4 games unfolded, its EXTREMELY disappointing. I especially feel bad for the fans who dropped hundreds of dollars for tix last night.

Oh well, March on... just hope its not a funeral march.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
"Fun" fact from cannon. After they lose on Monday, CBJ will remain the only NHL team without single series win. No one expect Jets to choke right? And it's not only in NHL. That includes all major leagues. NBA, NFL MLB, every team has at least 1 PO series win.
Fun
:shakehead

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I Was flying home last night, missed the whole game- disappointed to hear that we sounded slow, lackluster and that we gave away two straight at home. I have watched the Caps fold before, they will again - really just hope it starts tomorrow. Young team needs to fight

Reactions: CharlotteJacket

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Pretty tough to overcome playing a 3 line game with multiple OT's.

Unfortunately Torts is known for playing his top guys until they can no longer skate. Our guys are gassed & the longer you leave players sitting on the bench, the more unfair it is to put them out. If you can't find ice time for your 4th line @ home when you get the last change how do you do it on the road?

We might be screwed unless Bob can steal a game or 2 now.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Maybe this is how it goes. Just like the regular season, we start of the season playing bad but still winning, now we are playing bad and it caught up with losses, maybe now we get to go to the good win streak jackets and start playing good and winning.

just a thought...pretty please...

Daytonian

Nov 6, 2014
Dayton OH
Most of them sucked, especially Vanek.
Will Wennberg be back? Vanek was not good in Game 4--but neither were most Jackets. Vanek's contributions are totally different when Wennberg's on the ice? People have dumped on Vanek before, when he initially arrived. But he then demonstrated his skill and ability to contribute--to getting pucks in the net. He needs a partner on ice with him.

Reactions: Samkow

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When a team and its coach openly admit to being nervous it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they will suddenly rise up when the pressure is only going to increase from now on. Kind of a joke really.

Reactions: DJAnimosity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad