Please vote for the best hockey player - (Crosby, Hasek, Jagr, Ovechkin, McDavid)

Please vote for the best hockey player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby kind of is a player that devalues the Conn Smythe though. In no way was he the best player in 15/16.
The Conn Smythe is the Hart trophy of the playoffs.

Also just because Kessel had 3 more points it doesn't automatically make him the better player that year either.

Reactions: Elvis P

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby #1 - he transforms your organization and lifts up everyone and makes them better. From the way they practice to on-ice play. Not to mention his two Conn smythes are more than the rest combined.

The rest of the group seem more concerned with personal stats and glory. I mean Ovechkin is even selling merchandise for his race to break the record.

I don’t think it’s wrong to say Crosby is the best leader however I don’t think it’s fair to assume the rest care more about personal stats than team success. Ovechkin seems like a pretty enthusiastic guy on the bench when his teammates score and if Crosby never had Malkin on his team would he even have a single Stanley Cup? I don’t think the other players had the teams he had more often than not.

Reactions: Elvis P

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The Conn Smythe is the Hart trophy of the playoffs.

Also just because Kessel had 3 more points it doesn't automatically make him the better player that year either.
Letang and Murray were also better.

And generally the Conn Smythe is only given out to one team, the Hart is split among all teams. They are nothing alike.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Crosby #1 - he transforms your organization and lifts up everyone and makes them better. From the way they practice to on-ice play. Not to mention his two Conn smythes are more than the rest combined.

The rest of the group seem more concerned with personal stats and glory. I mean Ovechkin is even selling merchandise for his race to break the record.

Lol seriously? It's 1 of the most significant NHL records and it's just a way to put a fun spin on it. How that turned into "more concerned with personal stats and glory" is next level reaching. More importantly, if Crosby was good enough to come close to breaking any significant NHL record then maybe he'd sell merchandise too. Unfortunately he isn't so we'll never know.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hasek, then I'm not sure. Leaving McDavid out of it for now since he's in the thick of his prime it's between Jagr and Crosby for second, probably leaning Jagr at the moment.

Reactions: Dessloch

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You didn't watch those playoffs, did you?
Yes I did actually.

Teams were exactly focused on Kessel....well not really.

Either way I treat Conn Smythes much like Harts, sometimes the voters aren't really voting for the "best player" or heck even the most valuable one but even if one doesn't think Crosby should have won it in 15-16, he has the best playoff resume of the 5 guys here and that's the important take one would think.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It is McDavid or Hasek depending on how you value goalies.. followed closely by Jagr/Crosby and finally Ovechkin.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
McDavid will be seen as a top 5 player of all time when he hangs them up and depending on how long he play will likely crack 2000 pts. It's him unless he suffers some debilitating injuries.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Not really.

McDavid is about to win his 5 Art Ross (his 7th consecutive top 2 finish and 3rd win in a row), 3rd Hart (5th finalist nomination), and 4th Lindsay in just 8 seasons. He’s flirting with a 140-150 point season as we speak and is in a terrific position to scoop up the Rocket and also lead the league in assists. He’s put up 1.61 PPG over the last 350 games of his career and needs to average just 1.56 for the rest of this season to hit 140, so don’t tell me that it or 150 isn’t in play.

He’ll also have 825+ career points through the completion of just 8 seasons which includes playing just half his rookie campaign and losing 37 games due to COVID.

If he does what seems to be the impossible and leads the Oilers to at least a Cup berth 6 months from now, it’s not going to be perceived as remotely insane. He’s about halfway home to being the consensus #5 all-time.

Enjoy his career as it happens, instead of being part of that crowd 10-12 years from now who will pretend it was an honor only when he’s about to retire.

It doesn’t take much to see that barring a catastrophic downturn in health, McDavid will have carved out a career that dwarfs all but the Big Four.

and the irony is even if McDavid did have a career ending injury tomorrow that would probably elevate his legacy with many if anything

people value that what-if shit over actual achievements all the time around here :laugh:

Reactions: Video Nasty

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
and the irony is even if McDavid did have a career ending injury tomorrow that would probably elevate his legacy with many if anything

people value that what-if shit over actual achievements all the time around here :laugh:
Seriously? And no they don't.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, it’s Hasek. putting a 25 year old above Hasek is wild to me…but it’s HF
Hasek had a 7 year NHL peak/prime. Very reminiscent to Lafleur in that regard.

McDavid is on pace for his 5th scoring title in 7 seasons and he finished 2nd the other two years. They have the same number of Harts. McDavid has an extra Pearson/Lindsay. And that's not counting what he's likely to pick up this coming summer. He's been on an underperforming team, but there isn't a whole lot he can do about it. He's not the coach or GM. In order for McDavid to match Hasek's NHL resume he needs to threaten retirement to get himself a new team that can win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad