Please vote for the best hockey player - (Crosby, Hasek, Jagr, Ovechkin, McDavid)

Please vote for the best hockey player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The recency bias is insane here

Not really.

McDavid is about to win his 5 Art Ross (his 7th consecutive top 2 finish and 3rd win in a row), 3rd Hart (5th finalist nomination), and 4th Lindsay in just 8 seasons. He’s flirting with a 140-150 point season as we speak and is in a terrific position to scoop up the Rocket and also lead the league in assists. He’s put up 1.61 PPG over the last 350 games of his career and needs to average just 1.56 for the rest of this season to hit 140, so don’t tell me that it or 150 isn’t in play.

He’ll also have 825+ career points through the completion of just 8 seasons which includes playing just half his rookie campaign and losing 37 games due to COVID.

If he does what seems to be the impossible and leads the Oilers to at least a Cup berth 6 months from now, it’s not going to be perceived as remotely insane. He’s about halfway home to being the consensus #5 all-time.

Enjoy his career as it happens, instead of being part of that crowd 10-12 years from now who will pretend it was an honor only when he’s about to retire.

It doesn’t take much to see that barring a catastrophic downturn in health, McDavid will have carved out a career that dwarfs all but the Big Four.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Not really.

McDavid is about to win his 5 Art Ross (his 7th consecutive top 2 finish and 3rd win in a row), 3rd Hart (5th finalist nomination), and 4th Lindsay in just 8 seasons. He’s flirting with a 140-150 point season as we speak and is in a terrific position to scoop up the Rocket and also lead the league in assists. He’s put up 1.61 PPG over the last 350 games of his career and needs to average just 1.56 for the rest of this season to hit 140, so don’t tell me that it or 150 isn’t in play.

He’ll also have 825+ career points through the completion of just 8 seasons which includes playing just half his rookie campaign and losing 37 games due to COVID.

If he does what seems to be the impossible and leads the Oilers to at least a Cup berth 6 months from now, it’s not going to be perceived as remotely insane. He’s about halfway home to being the consensus #5 all-time.

Enjoy his career as it happens, instead of being part of that crowd 10-12 years from now who will pretend it was an honor only when he’s about to retire.

It doesn’t take much to see that barring a catastrophic downturn in health, McDavid will have carved out a career that dwarfs all but the Big Four.

The recency bias here would include Crosby & Ovechkin sir :)

Reactions: Elvis P

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Jaromir Jagr past his peak did match Crosby & Ovechkin, and he did so playing the 2006-2007 season with a bum shoulder no longer being able to take slapshots on the PP! Without that shoulder injury he would have blown both Crosby & Ovechkin out of the water even in his mid 30s :cool:

This is the best timeframe to compare these players against each other since its the last years when Jagr still was not overhill but still 7-8 years from his prime. Also should be noted that Jagr in the 2007-2008 at age 37 lead the playoffs in scoring after 2 rounds (facing Crosby & Ovechkin) before leaving for the KHL!

Jagr at age 34 and 35 vs Crosby at age 18 and 19 vs Ovechkin at age 20 and 21
---
Crosby: 75 goals + 151 assists = 226 points +9

Jagr: 84 goals + 135 assists = 219 points +60

Ovechkin: 98 goals + 100 assists = 198 points -17

If anyone makes the argument that Sid is an overall better player than Jagr, I would not say they are necessarily wrong or right, but anyone arguing for Ovechkin over Jagr is out of bounds.

As for Hasek, I cant rank him against the other players since he plays a different position entirely.

Last edited:

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
McDavid. McDavid is the best skater, stickhandler, passer and up there with the best shot, especially on breakaways.

Imo those 4 stats are the defining attributes which reflect a players skills and attributes for a forward most closely

Reactions: Buck Naked

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
All 5 are really close. I have Crosby #1, than Jagr/Ovechkin/Hasek super close in that order.

McDavid isn't there yet, but will get there and can challenge for #1.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Don’t like to compare skaters and goalies but McDavid tops this list.

#TheBig5
(Not referring to the players in this poll)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby #1 - he transforms your organization and lifts up everyone and makes them better. From the way they practice to on-ice play. Not to mention his two Conn smythes are more than the rest combined.

The rest of the group seem more concerned with personal stats and glory. I mean Ovechkin is even selling merchandise for his race to break the record.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Crosby #1 - he transforms your organization and lifts up everyone and makes them better. From the way they practice to on-ice play. Not to mention his two Conn smythes are more than the rest combined.

The rest of the group seem more concerned with personal stats and glory. I mean Ovechkin is even selling merchandise for his race to break the record.

Crosby kind of is a player that devalues the Conn Smythe though. In no way was he the best player in 15/16.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Only Gretzky and Ovechkin has 3 years in a row top ppg and gpg. And Ovechkin done it vs best duo on Earth without having HOFers on his team. plus 3rd hardware all time
McDavid doesn't have any equal opponents.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As others have said, it's hard to compare Hasek to the others, as goalie is a very different position. I've decided to rank them based off of how many wins I they caused for their team, and that's Hasek.

I don't see "Wins" even listed on anyone else's stat sheet. ;)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Has it really come to that?

To be fair I goggled it and can't find evidence of this other than this link which is fair game for players although there is nothing Washington here probably due to copyright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad