Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
No one said anything here about trading Scheifele.

Comparing Dubois to Scheifele at the same ages isn’t meant to claim that one’s better than the other, or start any controversy.

The point is just that Scheifele didn’t become the PPG player he is today until around 2016, when he got the chance to play on the 1st line, with Little out. And Scheifele’s track record until that point is very comparable to Dubois’ career so far, over the same age range.

So if — IF — Dubois is going to elevate his game over the next few years, like Scheifele did starting around this age, he probably has the talent and upside to do that. And now with Scheifele sidelined, he also has the opportunity.

We’ll see what he makes of it. So far, so good.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Jets are in a win now mode they are not going to trade a major piece let alone the face of the franchise unless the wheels (blades) fall off. The team is deep, talented and has a Vezina calibre goalie. After several seasons attempting to upgrade the 2nd line it is looking like Dubois IS the answer.

Any argument surrounding Scheifele should not be his play. It is how the coach deploys him / his linemates. It has been speculated / rumoured that Scheifele and Wheeler control the lineup. Probably more an indictment of the coach than based in any reality.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Comparing Dubois to Scheifele at the same ages isn’t meant to claim that one’s better than the other, or start any controversy.

The point is just that Scheifele didn’t become the PPG player he is today until around 2016, when he got the chance to play on the 1st line, with Little out. And Scheifele’s track record until that point is very comparable to Dubois’ career so far, over the same age range.

So if — IF — Dubois is going to elevate his game over the next few years, like Scheifele did starting around this age, he probably has the talent and upside to do that. And now with Scheifele sidelined, he also has the opportunity.

As to the bolded you didn't but others have.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure why we need to start up a Scheifele Vs. PLD debate. If people aren't aware of it they aren't in competition with each other. They play on the same team. Most cup champions are strong down the middle and this is what we are. We are also set up well with a handful of good wingers that gives us a very strong top 6 in multiple configurations. Considering the current cap hit for the 2 combined is a shade over $11 M we are laughingly well positioned at center which a short while ago was considered our biggest weakness. People seriously need to take a break from trying to find controversy in every single thing that happens with the team.

Agreed, it's nice to have both of them. They are both real different players as well. Dubois is strong, solid in his end (projects really well there as he develops), fast and strong 2ith a real good shot and good vision that goes to the hard areas. He's the type of big physical two-way C that all the cup winning teams have in the playoffs like a O'Reilly.

Scheifele is more of a finest based C that moves the puck real well in ozone. He lives at moving in and put of space and off the cycle to score. He could improve in his end but be brings elite finishing and offensive creation to the table.

There is more then enough room for both and with the Dubois/Conner combo I think it gives Moe the ability to provide mark with a bit more help in the form of Ehlers and maybe a defensive guy in Copp to mitigate his weaknesses.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed, it's nice to have both of them. They are both real different players as well. Dubois is strong, solid in his end (projects really well there as he develops), fast and strong 2ith a real good shot and good vision that goes to the hard areas. He's the type of big physical two-way C that all the cup winning teams have in the playoffs like a O'Reilly.

Scheifele is more of a finest based C that moves the puck real well in ozone. He lives at moving in and put of space and off the cycle to score. He could improve in his end but be brings elite finishing and offensive creation to the table.

There is more then enough room for both and with the Dubois/Conner combo I think it gives Moe the ability to provide mark with a bit more help in the form of Ehlers and maybe a defensive guy in Copp to mitigate his weaknesses.

I'd be happy if they flipped Ehlers and KC - I think both lines might be better if they do.
Leave 71 with PLD / KC for now - Leave Wheels with Scheif (add Ehlers)
I'd like to see them give this a few games -

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be happy if they flipped Ehlers and KC - I think both lines might be better if they do.

Given that Wheeler had symptoms it might be a good idea to slowly work hi. Back in then to just give him big minutes.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Given that Wheeler had symptoms it might be a good idea to slowly work hi. Back in then to just give him big minutes.

For sure - I'm referring to a time when all players are healthy -
It comes down to whether or not we now have more options, other than Ehlers /Scheif, that can drive play in our top 6 -
This allows Ehlers and Scheif to get a shot playing together - and still have a play driving, effective 2nd line.
We might . . .

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Scheifele at his peak was a top 10 forward in the nhl. I don't see that in dubois which is absolutely fine.

If he's 70 pts-ppg with ror or Couturier 2way game, there's a possibility I guess? But so far, his career to date he rates closer to average defensively than anything elite. And idk if he can crack top 10 in scoring like Scheif has

If ppl can't handle a discussion or comparison between players, might want to stay off a sports forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He was legitimately bad last season, it wasn't the coach's doing. When he got moved to the Lowry line and then the 4th line in the playoffs no one here complained, which is impressive since people are usually on the look out for that kinda thing to point out Maurice's bad decisions.
He struggled mightily but from day 1 last year Pmo treated him like a 19 year old rookie and didn’t help his confidence from the start. And I like Pmo.
Anyhow. Its great to have such middle depth this year. Dubois looks great and I’d keep him with Connor.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Svech hasn't impressed me with PLD and Connor. I'd like to see those two with another faster forward. Wheeler or Copp, maybe.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Svech hasn't impressed me with PLD and Connor. I'd like to see those two with another faster forward. Wheeler or Copp, maybe.
Well Wheeler isn't very fast, but agree he'd be more effective than Svech. I would probably put Copp with 55-27. That would help fix Mark's defensive issues.

I'd also like to keep 12-17-93 together, but that would put 25 on the 4th line, which Maurice seems unwilling to do.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon
Nov 24, 2006
PLD play so far this year, esp with Connor should almost force Mo to keep these two together. They have 10 goals between them and we are 2-0 since Scheifele and Wheeler have been out.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I'd be OK with Copp - not Wheeler. If Wheeler is faster than Svech, it's not by much.
I also don't think they will separate Wheeler / Scheif so I didn't bother trying to move him.

Svech isn't going to stay there anyway - but I would have liked to see a few more games to confirm if that magic he had with PLD, is gone or a possibility.
Copp would be fine on that line - he's looking better recently and is likely sticking to the top 6 at this point.

I look forward to seeing what Maurice comes up with on the top 6 - was PLD / Ehlers enticing enough to make changes?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I've been a big PLD supporter, never really thought last season was a true reflection of what we had in him, considering everything he went through during a difficult season. He's off to a great start this season, which is great to see. I don't know where this notion that he's some kind of above average player defensively comes from though.

I'm happy we have both him and Scheifele, wasn't that what we were supposed to be happy about?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd be OK with Copp - not Wheeler. If Wheeler is faster than Svech, it's not by much.
I also don't think they will separate Wheeler / Scheif so I didn't bother trying to move him.

Svech isn't going to stay there anyway - but I would have liked to see a few more games to confirm if that magic he had with PLD, is gone or a possibility.
Copp would be fine on that line - he's looking better recently and is likely sticking to the top 6 at this point.

I look forward to seeing what Maurice comes up with on the top 6 - was PLD / Ehlers enticing enough to make changes?
I think Wheeler is actually quite a bit faster than Svech overall, and is a better playmaker at this point. I just found Svech to be pretty slow to react and often interrupted the flow of play. Maybe Wheeler wouldn't be the right fit, but I think it'd be reasonable to start with him. Copp and Harkins might actually be other good options, but I'm liking the Harkins-Lowry-Ves line at this point.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think Wheeler is actually quite a bit faster than Svech overall, and is a better playmaker at this point. I just found Svech to be pretty slow to react and often interrupted the flow of play. Maybe Wheeler wouldn't be the right fit, but I think it'd be reasonable to start with him. Copp and Harkins might actually be other good options, but I'm liking the Harkins-Lowry-Ves line at this point.

Do you think Wheeler plays a fast game?
You might be right that he can be faster - but I don't see a lot of speed in his game recently (meaning the last Year or so).

What I'm going to say next might support your angle more than mine -

Wheeler and Scheif seem to play a fairly slow game - and that might be due to them playing with each other (IDK).
There game is methodical, nothing much in the way of speed of the rush and their work in the O zone is more cycle related and based less on speed.

You could be right in the sense that spitting these two might force them to reboot their game in an effort to keep up with new players.
We already see that with PLD / KC - both seem to have more jump and it might be something they are feeding off each other.

Combining Ehlers and Scheif along with Copp might drive that line into new territory - more speed, less methodical - similar to how KC/PLD are adjusting.
Adding Wheeler to PLD / KC might get Wheeler moving - it's worth a shot.

Back to Svech - as noted, he's a long shot in the top six anyway. I was only hoping that the opportunity to work with a line mate he has worked very well with in the past (although at a minor level) might rekindle something that would be worth looking at (longer than 2 games). More of a hope and a prayer type thing with me - a long shot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do you think Wheeler plays a fast game?
You might be right that he can be faster - but I don't see a lot of speed in his game recently (meaning the last Year or so).

What I'm going to say next might support your angle more than mine -

Wheeler and Scheif seem to play a fairly slow game - and that might be due to them playing with each other (IDK).
There game is methodical, nothing much in the way of speed of the rush and their work in the O zone is more cycle related and based less on speed.

You could be right in the sense that spitting these two might force them to reboot their game in an effort to keep up with new players.
We already see that with PLD / KC - both seem to have more jump and it might be something they are feeding off each other.

Combining Ehlers and Scheif along with Copp might drive that line into new territory - more speed, less methodical - similar to how KC/PLD are adjusting.
Adding Wheeler to PLD / KC might get Wheeler moving - it's worth a shot.

Back to Svech - as noted, he's a long shot in the top six anyway. I was only hoping that the opportunity to work with a line mate he has worked very well with in the past (although at a minor level) might rekindle something that would be worth looking at (longer than 2 games). More of a hope and a prayer type thing with me - a long shot.
I think Wheeler can play a faster game than Svech. It's not just about footspeed, but how quickly they make reads and passes. Wheeler has shown that he can play effectively with Connor and Scheifele, who are actually very quick in transition (as is Dubois). What I've noticed with Svech is that he seems to impede fast transition by not making quick enough reads, or by lagging behind the play in his skating. Dubois and Connor are two of the fastest forwards in the NHL, and they like to play fast (as does Scheifele). They need a winger who can at least facilitate in transition, and I haven't seen much of that from Svech.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My favorite thing about Dubois is he plays angry. Man crush on him for sure :nod:
Scheifele's absence early this season might be a blessing in disguise, allowing Dubois to settle into a leading role. When Scheifele and Wheeler are back and up to speed, the Jets should be able to send waves of speed and size at opponents with Scheifele, Dubois, Connor, Ehlers, Copp, Wheeler, Vesalainen, Harkins... I expect the D and F to clean up the zone exits and transition, particularly with Pionk and Dillon getting settled in, and forwards playing more compact structure, as Maurice seems to be preaching. You can see it developing with Dubois and Connor and Copp and Ehlers. I thought Pionk was much tidier last game. That pair's only issue was when Copp and Ehlers muffed a smooth exit and created a turnover that ended up in the Preds' 1st goal. Pionk made a good read and a good pass, and Copp and Ehlers were in good positions for transition, but they played the puck too casually and gave up the turnover.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Dubois has to be more like his Capfriendly size of 6’3, 218lbs and not the NHL.com/HockeyDB 6’2, 205lbs right?

I feel like 218lbs is small for how he looks out there.

Although he comes up on the Jet page, I have a BJs logo on my tab. It’s disgusting having to look at that. NHL.com needs to get their act together! (Mostly fake outrage here before someone chimes in)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dubois has to be more like his Capfriendly size of 6’3, 218lbs and not the NHL.com/HockeyDB 6’2, 205lbs right?

I feel like 218lbs is small for how he looks out there.

Although he comes up on the Jet page, I have a BJs logo on my tab. It’s disgusting having to look at that. NHL.com needs to get their act together! (Mostly fake outrage here before someone chimes in)
combine he was listed at 6'2 205 lb. def looks bigger now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad