Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I think a few things will factor into Dubois having a BIG season.

-Contract year, he’s got a lot to prove to this organization.

-He’ll be channeling the memory of his close friend Kivlenieks by wearing his #80

-After a challenging year of trying to build chemistry with new teammates while not on his A game, he will be rejuvenated and ready to show his teammates what he really is capable of.

-Having an energized crowd in the building will be a game changer as players really do feed off the energy in the building.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Dubois is sure due for a bounce-back as well. He hit 5v5 career worsts in CF/60, CF%, GF/60, GF%, xGF/60, xGA/60, xG%, SCF%, HDCF/60, HDCA/60, HDCF%, On Ice SH%, On Ice SV%, and PDO. A down year, plus bad luck (I mean his career worst on-ice-SV% is with Hellebuyck behind him?)...anyway a lot of things didn't work out for him last season. He's always been over 50% in Corsi, Goals, xGoals, Chances, HD Chances until last season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dubois is sure due for a bounce-back as well. He hit 5v5 career worsts in CF/60, CF%, GF/60, GF%, xGF/60, xGA/60, xG%, SCF%, HDCF/60, HDCA/60, HDCF%, On Ice SH%, On Ice SV%, and PDO. A down year, plus bad luck (I mean his career worst on-ice-SV% is with Hellebuyck behind him?)...anyway a lot of things didn't work out for him last season. He's always been over 50% in Corsi, Goals, xGoals, Chances, HD Chances until last season.
he has always been paired with 5v5 studs like Panarin or Bjorkstrand in CBJ, and Ehlers here. No reason he shouldnt be hitting those feats and career highs this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WiscoJet

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I don't even care about how many points he gets....I just want to see him look like a powerful 2 way C that can shut down an oppositions 2nd line....He was brutal on offense AND in his own zone last year...Im okay with baby steps

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he's looked overall solid the first few games. one of the only few forwards that would actually crash the net & has been awarded for it.

i think shift-to-shift consistency could improve (find he disappears for half a period/or more), but could probably say that for most players. overall, definitely good start for him.

would like to see a line eventually with Perfetti-PLD-Wheeler, and Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers. Probably next year though.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
he's looked overall solid the first few games. one of the only few forwards that would actually crash the net & has been awarded for it.

i think shift-to-shift consistency could improve (find he disappears for half a period/or more), but could probably say that for most players. overall, definitely good start for him.

would like to see a line eventually with Perfetti-PLD-Wheeler, and Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers. Probably next year though.

It wouldn't surprise me if Goal Perfecti was called up after the World Juniors. Looks like we found the top two centre we have been missing. PLD plays the game the way I like it. A hard match up who is physical and very strong on the puck.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah I can see both those lines working well at at some point. Might need an upgrade on Wheeler if it happens next year as I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
It wouldn't surprise me if Goal Perfecti was called up after the World Juniors. Looks like we found the top two centre we have been missing. PLD plays the game the way I like it. A hard match up who is physical and very strong on the puck.
We have never had a type of player like PLD. Taking a while for others to adjust to him.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The injuries to 55 and 26 has been a blessing in disguise for this team and for players like PLD.
I have always liked the player. Last year coach killed his confidence, little ice, no special teams or being out with extra attacker, playing wing.
I’m glad he’s showing the player he can as we will need him to play like this if we want to make a run.

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have always liked the player. Last year coach killed his confidence, little ice, no special teams or being out with extra attacker, playing wing.
I’m glad he’s showing the player he can as we will need him to play like this if we want to make a run.

He was legitimately bad last season, it wasn't the coach's doing. When he got moved to the Lowry line and then the 4th line in the playoffs no one here complained, which is impressive since people are usually on the look out for that kinda thing to point out Maurice's bad decisions.

Reactions: LowLefty

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Dubois has a ways to go before he replaces Scheif...nothing against PLD but he isn't at Scheif's level yet.

It’s not an exact comparison, just a rough parallel.

Scheifele at his peak was better than Little ever was. But it wasn’t obvious he’d be that good the year before Little’s injury, when he put up 15 goals and 49 points in 82 games as a 21 year-old, and looked terrible in the playoffs against Anaheim (1 assist in 4 games, 47.5 CF%).

Meanwhile, Dubois as a prospect was better than Scheifele was. He was drafted higher, made the NHL full-time earlier, and scored more at a younger age (including 27 goals and 61 points as a 20 year old). Dubois’ 21-year-old season was 18 goals and 49 points in only 70 games, and he was great in the playoffs (10 points in 10 games, 53.8 CF%).

PLD struggled last year, with the fallout of the trade in the middle of the pandemic. But it’d be no great surprise if he caught back up to Scheifele’s pace this year, and matched his 23 year-old production (which was 32 goals and 82 points in 79 games), especially if Scheifele misses more time with Covid or other issues, and he ends up playing with a goal scorer like Connor.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
PLD is a very strong and skilled player but doubtful he will become a true #1 star C. Dumb penalties and doesn't exactly see the ice well enough to elevate his linemates. Hope he proves me wrong.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Dubois has a ways to go before he replaces Scheif...nothing against PLD but he isn't at Scheif's level yet.

Disagree, there is far more to being a #1 ctr than pure offence. I expect PLD to be a better over all player than prima donna Schiefele as early as this season. Except for whining on ice "it wasn't me" there Schiefele has no peers on the team.

Reactions: Mbraunm

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Disagree, there is far more to being a #1 ctr than pure offence. I expect PLD to be a better over all player than prima donna Schiefele as early as this season. Except for whining on ice "it wasn't me" there Schiefele has no peers on the team.
Scheif has been a point a game player for what? 6 seasons? 5? 7?

Talk to me when PLD has 6 or so seasons of consistency.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Scheif has been a point a game player for what? 6 seasons? 5? 7?

Talk to me when PLD has 6 or so seasons of consistency.

Scheifele has 5 PPG seasons. His first was at age 23.

Through their age 22 seasons (this includes 2015-16 for Scheifele, when he scored 29 goals and 61 points in 71 games, after taking over at 1C with Little out):
Scheifele: 58 goals and 145 points in 227 games
Dubois: 74 goals and 179 points in 280 games

That’s an identical rate of points per game (0.639 PPG each) and very similar rate of goals per game (0.256 for Scheifele vs 0.264 for Dubois).

Dubois may never produce at similar rates to Scheifele in his prime, but it’s not a stretch to think he could.

Reactions: larmex99 and JetsUK

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure why we need to start up a Scheifele Vs. PLD debate. If people aren't aware of it they aren't in competition with each other. They play on the same team. Most cup champions are strong down the middle and this is what we are. We are also set up well with a handful of good wingers that gives us a very strong top 6 in multiple configurations. Considering the current cap hit for the 2 combined is a shade over $11 M we are laughingly well positioned at center which a short while ago was considered our biggest weakness. People seriously need to take a break from trying to find controversy in every single thing that happens with the team.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Dubois doesnt have to produce at quite the same level as Scheifele to have the same impact either, he's a better 200 foot player than Scheifele is. But I'm happy having both on the team as the top 2Cs, and I agree with @KingBogo there's no need to compare and pick a winner between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad