Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is one of the most interesting storylines to follow in a season of interesting storylines.

I want to believe that Dubois will have a monster season but for some reason I'm extremely apprehensive. No reason in particular, just an uneasiness.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is one of the most interesting storylines to follow in a season of interesting storylines.

I want to believe that Dubois will have a monster season but for some reason I'm extremely apprehensive. No reason in particular, just an uneasiness.

To me PLD (1st) and Schmidt (2nd) are the two wildcard swing players. If they play closer to two seasons ago then I think the Jets are in a really good spot. More of last season and our team faces an uphill battle.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
To me PLD (1st) and Schmidt (2nd) are the two wildcard swing players. If they play closer to two seasons ago then I think the Jets are in a really good spot. More of last season and our team faces an uphill battle.

From all of the interviews I've read/heard, both of those players seem poised for big seasons... at least they say all of the right stuff and seem genuinely enthusiastic about playing for us.

Gives me a lot of hope/excitement for the new season... just drop the puck already!

Reactions: GNP, ps241 and Jet

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
My prediction is PLD has a decent season putting up about 50 points providing physical and defensive support on the second line allowing Ehlers to go buck wild.

Ehlers has another career year, carrying the second line and 2nd unit PP which also includes PLD.

People freak out over PLD not getting 72 points in a season and declare him a bust even though he's doing exactly what the coaching staff asks of him and doing it well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My prediction is PLD has a decent season putting up about 50 points providing physical and defensive support on the second line allowing Ehlers to go buck wild.

Ehlers has another career year, carrying the second line and 2nd unit PP which also includes PLD.

People freak out over PLD not getting 72 points in a season and declare him a bust even though he's doing exactly what the coaching staff asks of him and doing it well.

I expect 60 points but generally agree with your assessment otherwise.

Reactions: GNP and Dirtbag151

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he should be a good for 65-70 pts. PLD for some reason got a moniker of a strong-200 ft C, but the stats/on-ice measures really dont reflect this.... he's historically been more an offensive driver rather than a strong-all around C.

perhaps im overrating him a bit. but the guy put 61 pts as a 20 year old then followed it up with a 57 pt pace (w/o Panarin) playing in CBJ with a brutal PP and a Torts system that tried to emphasize limiting chances against.

Maybe im not giving enough credit to his linemates? in 19-20 (w/o Panarin) he was Bjorkstrand for the most part it looks like, then with either Nyquist or Foligno on the other Wing. Bjorkstrand is excellent, probably CBJs best offensive player, but id still take Ehlers over him. and then consider Copp on the other Wing, id take him over both Nyquist or Foligno.

So better linemates, better PP (CBJ ranked 27th and 28th in PP GF/60 those 2 years), not to mention contract year + overall growth as a player with already putting up 61 and 57 pt (paced) year in less favorable conditions..... idk, there's no reason he should be in the high 60s-70 pt range imo.

Reactions: Guerzy and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
he should be a good for 65-70 pts. PLD for some reason got a moniker of a strong-200 ft C, but the stats/on-ice measures really dont reflect this.... he's historically been more an offensive driver rather than a strong-all around C.

perhaps im overrating him a bit. but the guy put 61 pts as a 20 year old then followed it up with a 57 pt pace (w/o Panarin) playing in CBJ with a brutal PP and a Torts system that tried to emphasize limiting chances against.

Maybe im not giving enough credit to his linemates? in 19-20 (w/o Panarin) he was Bjorkstrand for the most part it looks like, then with either Nyquist or Foligno on the other Wing. Bjorkstrand is excellent, probably CBJs best offensive player, but id still take Ehlers over him. and then consider Copp on the other Wing, id take him over both Nyquist or Foligno.

So better linemates, better PP (CBJ ranked 27th and 28th in PP GF/60 those 2 years), not to mention contract year + overall growth as a player with already putting up 61 and 57 pt (paced) year in less favorable conditions..... idk, there's no reason he should be in the high 60s-70 pt range imo.

If he's on the second line and second PP he likely doesn't get enough minutes to produce those totals and we know Moe likes use PP one more.

Outside of PP2 being on fire which saw Ehlers produce a near ppg pace Nik has been a 60-65 point player despite dominating at 5 on 5.

We'd need Maurice to up.the minutes of the second line more if we want to see them produce 70 points imo.

Normal usage from Moe and I see PLD producing 60-65, the same goes for Nik.

Reactions: Guerzy and hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the difference between 60-65 vs 65-70 isnt much. it's basically 5 pts difference (from the median) of each range over 82 gp.

there's many 2nd line players that are roughly in that point range.

any loss in TOI/gp could probably get equalized or buffered with superior supporting cast. unless he's putting up great defensive play (which has never been his MO), 50ish pts would be really disappointing.

If he's on the second line and second PP he likely doesn't get enough minutes to produce those totals and we know Moe likes use PP one more.

Outside of PP2 being on fire which saw Ehlers produce a near ppg pace Nik has been a 60-65 point player despite dominating at 5 on 5.

We'd need Maurice to up.the minutes of the second line more if we want to see them produce 70 points imo.

Normal usage from Moe and I see PLD producing 60-65, the same goes for Nik.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
the difference between 60-65 vs 65-70 isnt much. it's basically 5 pts difference (from the median) of each over 82 gp.

there's many 2nd line players that are roughly in that point range.

any loss in TOI/gp could probably get equalized or buffered with superior supporting cast. unless he's putting up great defensive play (which has never been his MO), 50ish pts would be really disappointing.

Agreed, he put up roughly that as a 19 year old rookie playing 2nd line in Columbs.

I'm expecting him to score at a 2.2-2.3 p/60 rate at 5 on 5 which is first line caliber.

How many minutes he gets and how well pp2 does will ultimately determine where in the 60 to 70 point range he falls imo.

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed, he put up roughly that as a 19 year old rookie playing 2nd line in Columbs.

I'm expecting him to score at a 2.2-2.3 p/60 rate at 5 on 5 which is first line caliber.

How many minutes he gets and how well pp2 does will ultimately determine where in the 60 to 70 point range he falls imo.
if he is as good as ppl say he is or his CBJ stats indicate, our 2nd line should be getting more minutes than the years w/ Bryan Little.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
if he is as good as ppl say he is or his CBJ stats indicate, our 2nd line should be getting more minutes than the years w/ Bryan Little.

Yeah but Moe loves his matchup third but there is no reason the second line can't go power vs power.

Reactions: hn777

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I feel exactly the same way as you, and you would think if he cannot get motivated for a playoff series in his home town of Montreal, it's very likely we'll see much of the same kind of performance as last season from PLD. I was expecting great things, and I'm prepared for a disappointment this year. I hope he proves me dead wrong, because he does have the talent, but I question effort and desire.

Also as @ps241 says, the other swing player is Schmidt. We'll have to see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Schmidt should be okay if he doesn’t get lackadaisical about conditioning..always a rough one when potatoes and gravy are beckoning!

Reactions: GNP and ps241

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

My honest opinion on PLD this year... monster season.
25 goals, 40 assists, 70 penalty minutes, plus- 15.
He is still young. He is still the same player that scored over 60 points in Columbus two years ago, he won't be facing other team's top checkers, and he has a helluva lot to prove.

Reactions: Jet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Schmidt should be okay if he doesn’t get lackadaisical about conditioning..always a rough one when potatoes and gravy are beckoning!

I am not aware of his history and his passion (or lack there of) for training. I am hoping Nate is motivated nothing like a crappy season to light a fire (I hope).

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I am not aware of his history and his passion (or lack there of) for training. I am hoping Nate is motivated nothing like a crappy season to light a fire (I hope).
Schmidt's track record was good up until last year. New team, new scheme, new partner...can take some adjusting. Also the Canucks were pretty bad all around. I think a bounce-back (regression to the mean) is more likely than a repeat of last season.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Schmidt's track record was good up until last year. New team, new scheme, new partner...can take some adjusting. Also the Canucks were pretty bad all around. I think a bounce-back (regression to the mean) is more likely than a repeat of last season.
How Travis green still has a job is baffling

Reactions: Gm0ney and Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My prediction is PLD has a decent season putting up about 50 points
providing physical and defensive support on the second line allowing Ehlers to go buck wild.

I think this is about the way I think things will shake out with PLD.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I feel exactly the same way as you, and you would think if he cannot get motivated for a playoff series in his home town of Montreal, it's very likely we'll see much of the same kind of performance as last season from PLD. I was expecting great things, and I'm prepared for a disappointment this year. I hope he proves me dead wrong, because he does have the talent, but I question effort and desire. Also as @ps241 says, the other swing player is Schmidt. We'll have to see what happens.

I wouldn't read to much into how PLD played in the MTL series and the last part of last season. I got the impression the way PLD was playing late last season that he was a player that had lost his confidence and no matter how hard he worked things only got worse. I am hoping after a off season of training and a full camp with the Jets PLD will bounce back into a 50+ 2nd C. Anything over 60 points would be gravy for the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't read to much into how PLD played in the MTL series and the last part of last season. I got the impression the way PLD was playing late last season that he was a player that had lost his confidence and no matter how hard he worked things only got worse. I am hoping after a off season of training and a full camp with the Jets PLD will bounce back into a 50+ 2nd C. Anything over 60 points would be gravy for the Jets.
I really liked his interview today. I think we see the real PLD from day 1 this season and he will soon be a fan favourite.

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad