Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not to be a dick, but I don't think anyone who has actually been stalked would appreciate you equating that experience with scrolling through a guy's IG feed for 40 seconds
lol ok. coming from the poster who equated the severity of incorrect sports reporting to the same level as doctors giving bs treatment advice.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Laine's final full season was definitely "nice" too. although it wasn't prolific/remarkable/contextually? (not sure the exact phrasing here) as his first 2 given the extremely high bar. finishing 29th in league scoring & 8th for RW, while being +4 at 5v5 (2nd among our fwd group, & on a team that was a -4 at 5v5 overall) is definitely in the "nice" category

nevertheless yes, the drama can for sure be tiresome i think. especially for those who are involved in the yearly song & dance. I also agree with PLD.... i think anything 8M+ is a definite overpay.

fwiw EvolvingHockey put out a contract projection based on his stats of 5x6.5m. but now it is being floated a possibly 1-year deal for this year, & then an 8-year deal at some point - similar to Kotkaniemi, or M. Anderson did on the Kings.

Given PLDs past behavior what if he decided to just bolt? :laugh:. This guy did say hitting UFA is extremely important to him :rolleyes:

I think there is some natural back and forth and like I mentioned in my most recent post we will see when the deal actually gets done where the truth lies in this situation.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
lol ok. coming from the poster who equated the severity of incorrect sports reporting to the same level as doctors giving bs treatment advice.
I forgot about that. Sticks out in your head for some reason

I compared them, I didn't equate them. Used them both as examples as what people shouldn't do.

I hope that none of the gals you're close to are ever a victim of stalking. I've known a few, and as a father, husband, brother and son I hope I never know any more

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I forgot about that. Sticks out in your head for some reason

I compared them, I didn't equate them. Used them both as examples as what people shouldn't do.

I hope that none of the gals you're close to are ever a victim of stalking. I've known a few, and as a father, husband, brother and son I hope I never know any more
hmmm i wonder why that may stick out in someone's head...

i have no problem saying sorry to those who are legit victims of stalking either online or offline. so i apologize to those.

but you can surely save the holier than thou posting or being some social-justice moderator when you've made some pretty absurd comments as well.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
hmmm i wonder why that may stick out in someone's head...

i have no problem saying sorry to those who are legit victims of stalking either online or offline. so i apologize to those.

but you can surely save the holier than thou posting or being some social-justice moderator when you've made some pretty absurd comments as well.
I've said plenty of stupid shit (and will continue to do so), and you've called me out on about 97% of it. No problem with that

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Nicely played by Hughes in Montreal. Hey PLD we aren't getting in a bidding war but we are still interested in you on our terms.
There's a reason why Hughes is the NHL's wealthiest GM.

'Nicely played' as in - 'we lost out on a sure thing by being greedy and chose Kirby Dach over you but I need to make the fanbase feel like we're still in it'?
Dach was the better choice then . . . and remains so today.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like what PLD brings as a player. He adds an element that teams covet. Too bad he can’t stay but I’m glad him and his agent are willing to do a sign and trade, that’s huge for us. Getting Vilardi, Iaffalo, a prospect and 2nd rounder would be a good return for a player we control for only one year. I like Vilardi for the next four years, good young player that has even more to give.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I think the one thing we can all say in hindsight is that the Dubois trade was a good one for us. If Columbus offered, would you trade him for Laine and Roslovic, straight up? I think most of us would say hell no. And the haul we are rumoured to get back from LA sounds better than those two also.
It's hell yes for me. I'd even do it straight up Dubois for Laine.

Who didn't sit up in anticipation when Laine was parked for the one-timer on the PP or coming down the wing ready to launch a rocket.

Other than Buff there has been no other Jet that was worth the price of admission for me. He was an elite scorer for us and has potential to continue for years.

He was damn fun to watch and in no way the cause of the drama that forced him out. Just an easy going kid that politely moved on when he was no longer welcome.

And Dubois? A guy who led us nowhere that doesn't want to be here. Can't trade him soon enough. Too bad it can't be for Laine.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
It’s a shame Dubois never worked out for us

Toss up between him and Laine to be honest.

I’d rather have PLD out of the two. Problem is Laine didn’t mesh with our room and Roslo didn’t want to be there. PLD may not have wanted to wear a Jets uniform forever but he at least was excited to be with the Jets when he first came

That said, if the return from LA is legit, I’d rather have Vilardi at his age. Plus lafallo. That’s a pretty sweet return.

Vilardi, Perfetti and Ehlers are 3 seriously good forwards

Problem is, can they all survive a full season?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's hell yes for me. I'd even do it straight up Dubois for Laine.

Who didn't sit up in anticipation when Laine was parked for the one-timer on the PP or coming down the wing ready to launch a rocket.

Other than Buff there has been no other Jet that was worth the price of admission for me. He was an elite scorer for us and has potential to continue for years.

He was damn fun to watch and in no way the cause of the drama that forced him out. Just an easy going kid that politely moved on when he was no longer welcome.

And Dubois? A guy who led us nowhere that doesn't want to be here. Can't trade him soon enough. Too bad it can't be for Laine.
Laine turned out to be a pretty dud of a 2nd OV pick. Over 7 full seasons he has averaged 28 goals and 55 points per year and is getting paid $8.7 M to do it. Never mind that his career year was his rookie season.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He wasn’t the same after the McCabe hit. I don’t know if that made him cautious, effected him physically or both.

The line of him, Scheifele, and Ehlers were all right around a point per game or higher when this happened. Then that line was never put back together.

Reactions: Aggie204

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Laine turned out to be a pretty dud of a 2nd OV pick. Over 7 full seasons he has averaged 28 goals and 55 points per year and is getting paid $8.7 M to do it. Never mind that his career year was his rookie season.

Us "winning" that lottery was in reality not that much of a win at the end. If we just stay at 6 and draft Tkachuk, I am pretty sure he is still here as we would have signed him long term after his ELC unlike what Calgary did. I guess the memory of that 17-18 run might be something to consider when weighing in the what ifs but one one wonders if we didn't win that lottery and drafted Tkachuk.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I’d rather have PLD out of the two. Problem is Laine didn’t mesh with our room and Roslo didn’t want to be there. PLD may not have wanted to wear a Jets uniform forever but he at least was excited to be with the Jets when he first came

I think PLD is a better athlete and overall has better tools to be an impactful player, he just can't seem to bring it consistently.

Laine just never developed the hockey skills, I think he tries his best but hasn't had the physical tools as of yet to to be able to do what he wants on the ice. You can tell watching him that the hands and legs aren't able to do what his brain wants to do. Whether it is injuries, lack of offseason work, just natural athleticism, or some combination of all of that, there has been something holding him back.

Laine might have been happy to be in Jets uniform but he would only have been happy in a Jets uniform if he played top minutes and got paid like the top player on the team... that is just not a recipe for the Jets win considering he wasn't able to deliver on-ice results to justify that.

I would be take PLD over Laine as well, esp if we are comparing him against the Laine after his 2nd season in the league.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
True and I think Maurice was a bit too fixated on turning him into a power forward. But Laine by all accounts didn't take his conditioning as serious as other pro players.
I hated that they tried to mould him into that. But he is one dimensional, so I understood why.

He is also an excellent passer, but couldn’t get the damn puck out of the defensive zone (I might be wrong, but I was so frustrated the times he tried to dipsy doodle and was stripped).

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Us "winning" that lottery was in reality not that much of a win at the end. If we just stay at 6 and draft Tkachuk, I am pretty sure he is still here as we would have signed him long term after his ELC unlike what Calgary did. I guess the memory of that 17-18 run might be something to consider when weighing in the what ifs but one one wonders if we didn't win that lottery and drafted Tkachuk.
Its a different world if Jets walk out of 2016 with Tkachuk, Tage Thompson and DeBrincat...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Think PLD and Laine are what you can expect out of 3rd and 2nd overall picks.

All time ppg and goals per game they're basically in the mix of what you can expect out of that draft position

all-time
the career per-82 gp average of a 2nd overall picked fwd is:
27 goals/63 pts

for 3rd overall pick it is
24 goals/57 pts

of the 47 fwds taken 2nd - Laine is 5th in GPG, and 13th in PPG.
of the 40 fwds taken 3rd - PLD is 16th in GPG and 15th in PPG.

I liked this team better with Laine though. As for individual season I'd rate it Laine Y2, Laine Y1, PLD Y3, Laine Y4, Laine Y3 then PLD Y1 (the last two had injuries and covid stuff going so tough to rate). I think we or I underrated the value of a lethal PP which undoubtedly he was a large part of and a big component of our 17-18 season, along with the 18-19 season (both superior than any season we had with pld). 5v5 stats are important but as voyageur always would mention, special teams are pretty damn important as well.

just like we now truly recognize the value of a great PK after this year. I know I used to scoff at PP scoring a bit, but at the end of the day it still counts for 1 on the board and gets fans off their seat. And having a top-5 pp weapon I'd say is a major boon for a team. No coincidence that Wheeler had b2b 91 pt years year with those sexy cross ice passes as well. Having an elite pp would have been a god-send through half the year too, notably after December.

I think if the vilardi+iafallo trade for PLD happens it could be > than what we got out of PLD. I like Vilardi as a long term peice at 5-6m for instance vs PLD at 8.5-9m. Iafallo is kind of a throw-in, but he seems like a solid third liner. He might be the leading scorer of the entire bottom 6 crew down there. But cap-savings is meaningless if you don't do anything with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

That said, if the return from LA is legit, I’d rather have Vilardi at his age. Plus lafallo. That’s a pretty sweet return.

Vilardi, Perfetti and Ehlers are 3 seriously good forwards

Problem is, can they all survive a full season?
I agree that he didn't mesh, but it seems it there was perhaps an issue in the locker room that had gone a little "Lord of the Flies".
I'd rather have his often injured ass as usually he gave a shit when he wasn't hurt. PLD just seemed disengaged and unmotivated for stretches.

Reactions: roccerfeller

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I hated that they tried to mould him into that. But he is one dimensional, so I understood why.

He is also an excellent passer, but couldn’t get the damn puck out of the defensive zone (I might be wrong, but I was so frustrated the times he tried to dipsy doodle and was stripped).
Quite a few Jets forwards have been guilty of careless D zone exits over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad