Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Enjoying the spotlight in LA maybe if Winnipeg had a MLB he would have stayed.:laugh:
cut.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not sure what to make of this... PLD felt like he couldn't be himself here? Makes me wonder how he fit in the room (although by some accounts, he was a the social co-ordinator)

""Honestly, I think it's just an opportunity for me to be who I am," Dubois said Monday. "I think I'm misunderstood at times, but I think a lot of people don't really know me. And that's fine. Sometimes in this world it's hard to get to know guys. … Now it'll be a fun opportunity for me to just be who I am. Not show anybody, not prove to anybody, but just fully be me."

Reactions: Jet and macmaroon

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
After forcing two trades in six years, Pierre-Luc Dubois understands why he might not have the best reputation around hockey.

Now a member of the Los Angeles Kings with a new eight-year contract, Dubois is looking forward to changing that image.

"I'm just extremely happy to be here and to be here for a long time, and just show really who I really am and not just an image of what people think, people that they think they know me," Dubois said Monday.

Full: Dubois looks to change reputation with Kings

I have less and less respect for this guy. He gets paid millions of dollars, yet his mouth is bigger than his performance on the ice. Actions speak louder than words.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
After forcing two trades in six years, Pierre-Luc Dubois understands why he might not have the best reputation around hockey.

Now a member of the Los Angeles Kings with a new eight-year contract, Dubois is looking forward to changing that image.

"I'm just extremely happy to be here and to be here for a long time, and just show really who I really am and not just an image of what people think, people that they think they know me," Dubois said Monday.

I have less and less respect for this guy. He gets paid millions of dollars, yet his mouth is bigger than his performance on the ice. Actions speak louder than words.
Forcing a trade once could easily not be on the player, twice and something smells funny, 3 times already in a fairly short time frame and I'm glad he's gone. I highly doubt he was quiet to all the players about being unhappy AGAIN.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I don't understand what is there not to understand. The guy obviously never wanted to be in a "unattractive market/city" which is why he forced his way out of Colombus but since he was too young to dictate anything, he wasn't able to get a trade to some market/city he wants to stay permanently and ended up being in Winnipeg. He accepted it (I'm not saying he throve in it or embraced it!), did well enough to keep his value around the league high enough, started preparing the media and NHL community about the fact, that he's gonna want to go somewhere else, someplace he's gonna love and stay for a longer time. He used the Montreal connection as his "when nothing else I like comes by, I'm just gonna end up signing home and be happy with it and if something maybe even better comes by, like Los Angeles or New York says hello - well maybe even better" and this is exactly what happend. He completely acted along his rights as a NHL player before the UFA status. The first team he left got a very decent return, his second team he left got a very decent return.

"I feel like now I can be who I am" - he might very well mean exactly that. Now he can finally be the person or rather live the life he was dreaming about. He doesn't have to tippytoe around people asking him week in and week out about how much he likes being in a place he's only "meh" about. Sure, it's called "acting profesionally" - and he did. He never slipped and said "you know what - I don't like it here. Sorry. This just isn't my thing. I have nothing against you guys here in Manitoba and around your lakes and in your hockey crazy cold city - I get it, I mean I'm Canadien myself - but I wish for a different life personally. Sorry." because you obviously just can't do that. I fully expect him to at some point in time, maybe at the end of his career, go on a podcast and saying exactly that. "no hard feelings, I just wanted to be where I dreamt of being. People are different. I'm just more like 'THAT' kind of person. Sorry - it's nothing personal".

*edit*

"... Canadian myself." Man I've been doing that mistake for ten years now and somehow I will never learn Canadian/Canadien :laugh: But in his case, it kind of works anyway...

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Meh who cares really.

He spent some time in Winnipeg, probably never wanted to be here like some other players, but had two pretty solid seasons BY HIS STANDARDS including his career year in scoring and wanted to move on. Now that we did ok in the trade my give a shit factor on this topic is zero. This movie is getting old, our market is not for everyone (Kane, Trouba, Laine, and now PLD) and that is part of life. Maybe the org can trade assets a bit earlier before the situation gets toxic and the fans get upset (which is clearly the case here) but I don’t care if they play out the string under house arrest if we need them and they are contractually bound.

We are going into season 13 (which is really hard to believe) and with Wheelers departure we now have turned 100% of our player inventory from day 1. This is the game……… players come and THEY ALL GO. Some guys are fine to play here, and some not so much, either way they are all leaving. We are in the player rental market just like every other pro sport team the world.

I guess it’s just me but I don’t need these guys to like this city. The only reason I care is if they like the situation we can keep the asset a bit longer, but other than that this is business. When they wear the Jets Jersey they are the players I cheer for when they don’t then they are part of the team memories and I move on.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
I'm with ps241 on this one. Once the player leaves, I really don't care anymore and I don't really wish anyone any ill will.

NHL is a corporation with 32 branches. Someone's got to be #32 and that is us. Good thing though is that the majority of players are just happy to be in the corporation.

PLD did us a bit of a favour and we should remember that. He did a sign and trade to a market he wanted, and we got some better assets in return. This could have gone a different way.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Good posts @GJF and @ps241 ... I generally agree with both of you. Except for Kane, I still don't like that guy even though he's gone, not even necessarily because he called the city racist, but because he continues to make an ass of himself and is a blight on the sport but keeps getting chances because of his talent.

EDIT: As for PLD I wish him well. He honoured his contractual obligations, played well according to his skills and abilities, and didn't do any garbage like holding out. He also didn't limit the Jets to one place only, allowing us to get a decent return. No issues, no hard feelings. I wish guys could just open up and say stuff like what @GJF suggested.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No issue with PLD, I think injuries impacted his time here, especially in the back half of last season. I think people are just touchy about Winnipeg and its status around the NHL. He did what he could under the CBA, he's not obligated to do any more than that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not sure what to make of this... PLD felt like he couldn't be himself here? Makes me wonder how he fit in the room (although by some accounts, he was a the social co-ordinator)

""Honestly, I think it's just an opportunity for me to be who I am," Dubois said Monday. "I think I'm misunderstood at times, but I think a lot of people don't really know me. And that's fine. Sometimes in this world it's hard to get to know guys. … Now it'll be a fun opportunity for me to just be who I am. Not show anybody, not prove to anybody, but just fully be me."

I'd imagine there's a few things here. Not having any French Canadians on the team, the immense pressure of being traded for a fan fave, and people twisting and misinterpreting everything he did when I think he was just trying to be forthcoming.

You can see why players are so robotic and calculating in their discourse in a market as fanatical as Winnipeg.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't understand what is there not to understand. The guy obviously never wanted to be in a "unattractive market/city" which is why he forced his way out of Colombus but since he was too young to dictate anything, he wasn't able to get a trade to some market/city he wants to stay permanently and ended up being in Winnipeg. He accepted it (I'm not saying he throve in it or embraced it!), did well enough to keep his value around the league high enough, started preparing the media and NHL community about the fact, that he's gonna want to go somewhere else, someplace he's gonna love and stay for a longer time. He used the Montreal connection as his "when nothing else I like comes by, I'm just gonna end up signing home and be happy with it and if something maybe even better comes by, like Los Angeles or New York says hello - well maybe even better" and this is exactly what happend. He completely acted along his rights as a NHL player before the UFA status. The first team he left got a very decent return, his second team he left got a very decent return.

"I feel like now I can be who I am" - he might very well mean exactly that. Now he can finally be the person or rather live the life he was dreaming about. He doesn't have to tippytoe around people asking him week in and week out about how much he likes being in a place he's only "meh" about. Sure, it's called "acting profesionally" - and he did. He never slipped and said "you know what - I don't like it here. Sorry. This just isn't my thing. I have nothing against you guys here in Manitoba and around your lakes and in your hockey crazy cold city - I get it, I mean I'm Canadien myself - but I wish for a different life personally. Sorry." because you obviously just can't do that. I fully expect him to at some point in time, maybe at the end of his career, go on a podcast and saying exactly that. "no hard feelings, I just wanted to be where I dreamt of being. People are different. I'm just more like 'THAT' kind of person. Sorry - it's nothing personal".

*edit*

"... Canadian myself." Man I've been doing that mistake for ten years now and somehow I will never learn Canadian/Canadien :laugh: But in his case, it kind of works anyway...

People question his behavior on those teams when he "didn't want to be there". Again, Trouba didn't to be with the Jets, did anyone every question his effort or attitude? Panarin and Jones didn't wanna stay long term in Columbus and I never see CBJ fans calling them quitters or coming up with unflattering names like PL-Douche to describe them.

Maybe he is happy now in LA as a city but circumstances are often not ideal, what if he is asked to play in a role or a situation or linemates that he is less than enthused about? Is he going to revert back to his previous ways? I don't know and don't care. I am glad to have moved on from the constant PLD side show soap opera.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'd imagine there's a few things here. Not having any French Canadians on the team, the immense pressure of being traded for a fan fave, and people twisting and misinterpreting everything he did when I think he was just trying to be forthcoming.

You can see why players are so robotic and calculating in their discourse in a market as fanatical as Winnipeg.
Meh, I don't know. Personally, I would have loved to hear "Winnipeg is a great city and TNSE is a first class organization, but it's always been my dream to play in a bigger/warmer/more metropolitan market". If that's who PLD is, I think most fans would have appreciated hearing the truth instead of the constant deflections and dodges.

Anyway, I agree the PLD discussion has run its course, unless there is something within the org or city specifically that is making more players than just him feel this way. If so, it needs to be identified and addressed

Edit... if PLD wasn't happy in Columbus and Winnipeg... remember, Pierre-Luc.. "wherever you go, there you are"

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Forcing a trade once could easily not be on the player, twice and something smells funny, 3 times already in a fairly short time frame and I'm glad he's gone. I highly doubt he was quiet to all the players about being unhappy AGAIN.
I still say something happened in Montreal in December that threw the whole Jets season off track... I think my joke about PLD partying with Montreal players instead of the Jets maybe wasn't that far off after all

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I still say something happened in Montreal in December that threw the whole Jets season off track... I think my joke about PLD partying with Montreal players instead of the Jets maybe wasn't that far off after all

Or the hip injury he said he got in January was the culprit.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014

I hope you are not a NFL or NBA fan. The players in that league do much worse. Lillard in Portland has done way worse than PLD and the fan base does not hate him as much as Winnipeg hates PLD

We will see a lot more of this going forward

Let's hope it's McJesus or Bedard forcing there way here

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I hope you are not a NFL or NBA fan. The players in that league do much worse. Lillard in Portland has done way worse than PLD and the fan base does not hate him as much as Winnipeg hates PLD

We will see a lot more of this going forward

Let's hope it's McJesus or Bedard forcing there way here

In NBA terms, Lillard has been too loyal almost, that's why there's a lot of sympathy for him. He's stayed in Portland while other great players have forced their way to big name teams and the management there has done nothing to surround him with a winner. The last straw was Lillard wanting them to trade their pick for some help in a somewhat open West and they ignored him. But yes, otherwise your sentiment is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad