Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I standby my view. That team had a great year but ran into a very hot Winnipeg team that mostly fired on all cylinders. The Jets made the wild look bad.

Overall, I’d rate the wild with the leafs and the bruins with the Jets.

Except the Wild would be another tough matchup for the Leafs as they aren't a soft team. Leafs don't play well against physical teams.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Will these playoffs change the unanimous belief held by everybody outside of Jets fans that Matthews is better than Laine if these two players continue on their trajectories?

To me, and im sure everybody else, Matthews has been invisible and the Jets are scorching hot with Laine leading the charge. In this up and down fluctuation of determining who is the better player, has Laine surpassed Matthews for the time being?
Sigh. Why is this a thing here?

Laine and the Jets as a whole have had a great first round. The Leafs and Mathews thus far haven't

I swear, I saw similar but reverse self- congratulatory crap this winter when Laine was on a cold streak and people were calling him a bum. He ended up with 44 goals. When Matthews was injured later and Laine was on a hot streak people started talking about how Matthews wasn't really a special number 1 pick. He finished at more than a point a game.

Why is it Winnipeg and Toronto fans have to define their best young stars at the expense of the other? These teams aren't even rivals and these two players aren't very comparable outside of their scoring prowess (one is a two-way centre and one is a hard-sniping winger). If they weren't in the same draft no one neither franchise's fans would be having these insecure pissing matches whenever one of the two of these players struggle.

Unbelievable; this whole mentality that for your player to be great another player has to be crappy is truly baffling. You guys all realize that unless the Jets and Leafs both make the finals (which would be a dream come true) this di*k measuring is entirely irrelevant; they play in different conferences.

Here is hoping Laine is able to lead the Jets to an upset of the Preds next round and Matthews gets hot and leads the Leafs to an improbable comeback against the Bruins.

Reactions: CH3NO2

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Except the Wild would be another tough matchup for the Leafs as they aren't a soft team. Leafs don't play well against physical teams.
Your proof of this is one series.

Dummditty dum dum dummm

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I came here to comment that Laine made some great defensive plays against Minnesota and was also throwing hits more than I've ever seen from him. It's really nice to see because I was worried at times this year when he looked so passive. Guess he was saving it for the playoffs.

But... it looks like the thread has already gone completely off the rails.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I feel like this thread was made with the intention of ripping Matthews
The odd Toronto/Winnipeg rivalry that has developed over the past couple years is weird... because it is pretty much just between bickering fans who feel threatened by a draft pick of all things. These teams only play each other twice a season for pete's sake; they are about as far away from being actual rivals as any two teams in the NHL can be.

I know that if the lottery balls had fallen in the opposite order we would have the exact same posters here saying the exact opposite about each player.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I came here to comment that Laine made some great defensive plays against Minnesota and was also throwing hits more than I've ever seen from him. It's really nice to see because I was worried at times this year when he looked so passive. Guess he was saving it for the playoffs.

But... it looks like the thread has already gone completely off the rails.
The Jets dismantled Minnesota and Laine was a big part of it; it was hugely entertaining to watch game 5. It bodes well for the much bigger challenge the team will face in Nashville. That defense will be tough to crack.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Laine and the Jets as a whole have had a great first round. The Leafs and Mathews thus far haven't

I swear, I saw similar but reverse self- congratulatory crap this winter when Laine was on a cold streak and people were calling him a bum. He ended up with 44 goals. When Matthews was injured later and Laine was on a hot streak people started talking about how Matthews wasn't really a special number 1 pick. He finished at more than a point a game.

Why is it Winnipeg and Toronto fans have to define their best young stars at the expense of the other? These teams aren't even rivals and these two players aren't very comparable outside of their scoring prowess (one is a two-way centre and one is a hard-sniping winger). If they weren't in the same draft no one neither franchise's fans would be having these insecure pissing matches whenever one of the two of these players struggle.

Unbelievable; this whole mentality that for your player to be great another player has to be crappy is truly baffling. You guys all realize that unless the Jets and Leafs both make the finals (which would be a dream come true) this di*k measuring is entirely irrelevant; they play in different conferences.

Here is hoping Laine is able to lead the Jets to an upset of the Preds next round and Matthews gets hot and leads the Leafs to an improbable comeback against the Bruins.

Get used to it. Happens in sports. Fans of both these teams turned it into a pissing match when they were drafted and it’ll likely stay that way until one falls off. As an outside fan, it’s annoying to read all the time but it is what it is. A rivalry.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine isn't even the best winger on his team.

Jets win one series and the dough heads come out, this thread is just hilarious.

Considering what they've had to listen in the last 2 years no surprise.

Laine isn't fast enough for NHL, Laine is E.Kane Jr, 1 dimensional, Chevy is garbage, Maurice is garbage, Helle can't catch a volleyball, Toronto has a better team, better forwards, Jets have 0 playoff wins and whatever. On and on and on for 2 years(since the lottery).

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Maybe,
But not in the playoffs this year - so far anyway.
I see Matthews struggling - not sure he likes the tempo and physical play that comes with the playoffs -hopefully he adjusts and maybe even tonight.
We all know he's good - but his current performance is surprising some people

Can’t compare them last year lol....

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

I keep saying this but i think Jets fans are out of this, it's Laine fans and Leafs fans only involved. One keeps provoking another, both are fanatic.

Laine fans are still pissed off their semigod wasn't picked first and genuinely feels it was insulting "he fell to second", Leafs fans just being Leafs fans

Last edited:
Reactions: Saintb

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Well you mention it quite a bit.

Anyway I'm just giving you a hard time. Matthews is great. I expect a big game from him tonight.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Sure, they would have lol. Will see how you do against Nashville with some real opposition.
Life could be worse next week.
Jets playoffs.jpg

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
chris.jpg
View attachment 115995 View attachment 115995
You’ve won one series....in franchise history
Yes Winnipeg has only had a team for the last 8 years. Took us 8 years to win our first series. We took over on of the worst franchises in the league that had never won a playoff game and built it up without ever having a 1st overall draft choice.
How many series wins do the Leafs have in the last 8 years.

Is this Jet fan better looking for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad