Line Combos: Playoffs: Leivo or Soshnikov and why?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Kapanen. Why send a guy down if he's your best option?

I'd choose Leivo with Matthews and Hyman to the 4th line if I could but that's never an option

Yep, agreed for sure. I really like what Hyman brings to Matthew's line but I would have loved to see Leivo there a little earlier than now to see if he's an improvement....which I think he is

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Kap is going to cause the most fear and stress to the opposing team. Not only do you have to worry about having your ribcage snapped from Martin, you now have to deal with the other winger getting a breakaway if he gets possession of the puck. I just wouldn't stress as much playing against Leivo or Soshnikov.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Going with Leivo. Reward progress and accomplishment. Kappy should be a top 9 guy anyways, 6 even. Sosh is fine but lacks production.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd say the job is Sosh's to lose, but the leash is short in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Assuming Kapanen is sent down and they are both healthy enough to play, who gets the final spot in the forward group? I vote Leivo because he is a great depth scorer and we have Komarov, Boyle, Hyman and Brown available as PKers.

Just continue with Kapanen.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably Soshnikov in Babcocks mind, for his PK ability. I do think Leivo is better though.

At this rate, Soshnikov is out for a little while though. He very likely suffered a concussion from that Chara hit.

Send Kapanen back to the Marlies for their run and play Leivo. He deserves his shot to play. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Leivo, size, creates turnovers, offensively is more dangerous and seems like he can move up and down the lineup if need be, strong forechecker, doesn't seem to get separated from the puck,his skillset seems made for the playoffs.

Kappy got his taste, he should be ready to challenge next year for a fulltime spot

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
It's actually a tough call, especially now that Kap is in the mix but I'd lean towards Leivo. He's shown that he can drive a line offensively and he's bigger and stronger along the boards and on the forecheck which is how that line is going to be effective. I also see the merits of having some speed on the wing to push back the opposing D though so it would depend on how the other team defends against them. Leivo is also really good on the PP

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
babs pretty much already picked, sosh has 56 games this year, if wasnt for injuries he maybe reaches 70, pretty much with the team the whole year, it comes down to what the coaches think the team needs more of

leivo
- better offensive player, better in the offensive zone

sosh
- better defensive player, better in neutral and defensive zone
- better speed, on forecheck and backcheck, more physical
- PKs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
babs pretty much already picked, sosh has 56 games this year, if wasnt for injuries he maybe reaches 70, pretty much with the team the whole year, it comes down to what the coaches think the team needs more of

leivo
- better offensive player, better in the offensive zone

sosh
- better defensive player, better in neutral and defensive zone
- better speed, on forecheck and backcheck, more physical
- PKs

it might even go deeper then that

there is no debating that sosh sacrifices his body out there and plays a style (that the coach wants) one that puts him at a higher risk of injury.

now what does that say to the other players when babs asks the same of them BUT

when you come back from inevitable injury, your starting roster spot is gone?

if you are asked to play a Physical /sacrificial style of play, your starting spot has to still be there when you come back from injury

no 2 ways about it.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Is there any news on Leivo's injury? When can we expect him healthy enough to be an option?

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I vote Eric Fehr! haha. I like Kapanen-can kill penalties and provides better offence then Sosh although Sosh isn't bad. Lievo isn't a great option on the 4th line as he doesn't kill penalties. It's too bad really because Lievo has done nothing but put up points. It's a good problem to have but if they can't find a spot for Lievo they really need to move him.

Matt Martin doesn't kill penalties and doesn't exactly put up points. Maybe they should sit Martin? Idk not a huge fan of the 4th line. Boyle and Martin are limited offensively.

I'm curious what you're using to reference this. Sosh has points this year in the NHL...Kapanen does not (yet). I'm not denying you may be right, but that's a pretty bold statement to make when the numbers say otherwise right now.

For me it's Sosh > Kapanen > pylon > Leivo

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Sosh. Not sure why you would make any unforced changes to the lineup going into game 1.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm curious what you're using to reference this. Sosh has points this year in the NHL...Kapanen does not (yet). I'm not denying you may be right, but that's a pretty bold statement to make when the numbers say otherwise right now.

For me it's Sosh > Kapanen > pylon > Leivo

I'll take Sosh too but pylon? WTF, Leivo has been great when he has played

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Before Leivo got hurt and Sosh, I think Babcock said that position was theirs to lose. So whomever is slotted in there now will probably play until injured or makes a horrible bonehead play. I would expect to see Kapanen there for the playoffs until he gets injured now. The team is playing well, Kspanen has been solid so he won't switch it up now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad