Line Combos: Playoffs: Leivo or Soshnikov and why?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Assuming Kapanen is sent down and they are both healthy enough to play, who gets the final spot in the forward group? I vote Leivo because he is a great depth scorer and we have Komarov, Boyle, Hyman and Brown available as PKers.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I want to say both, since really, we need all the grit and talent we can get. But between the two; Leivo. Better down low, which will be very useful in the playoffs. Can fill in the top 6 if needed and defers to superior talent.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Sosh at first... Leivo can be a useful secret weapon if we start falling behind. One of those guys that we can boost up to the 2nd line with kadri if we start losing

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think we keep Kapanen over either of them in the playoffs

If he goes down, I'd rather have Leivo. More of a threat offensively.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kapanen. Why send a guy down if he's your best option?

I'd choose Leivo with Matthews and Hyman to the 4th line if I could but that's never an option

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sosh. Leafs don't need what Leivo brings in the top 9, and Sosh has allowed just 1 goal on the PK all year or something stupid like that.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Depends on who we are playing:

Montreal: Soshnikov Boyle Leivo (ie scoring)
Boston: Martin Boyle Soshnikov(experince/toughness/speed)
Ottawa: Martin Boyle Soshnikov(experince/toughness/speed)

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I keep things unchanged. No complaints with Kappy on the PK, and he brings more to improve the 4th line and add a bit of offensive danger than Sosh. Even though he hasn't put up points, I think the 4th line has had more o-zone time with him on it.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I just assumed management was allowing him to gain experience with Leivo and Sosh out. Kapanen has been impressive and I'd be happy if he stayed though. His speed is dangerous and it's just a matter of time before he snipes one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leivo's the most offensively ready and his defensive play is fine. I'd go with him if given the choice.

Don't think babcock has much interest in him though. Like Panik before him: just not one of "his guys"

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Leivo's the most offensively ready and his defensive play is fine. I'd go with him if given the choice.

Don't think babcock has much interest in him though. Like Panik before him: just not one of "his guys"

Babcock basically said he didn't get as many games as he should because he doesn't play on the PK. Considering our special teams is a huge reason for where the Leafs are this season, I'd say he's made the right decision.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Soshnikov has both speed and a physical edge. Much more suitable for the fourth line and PK. He hasn't really scored like he can, but it's like a sleeping weapon that might show up and be handy in the playoffs.

Kapanen has been very good, similar to Shosh in that he has hands, speed and can play the PK, but without the pest qualities Soshnikov has.

Leivo is the best finisher and results speak for themselves, but on the 4th line I want a bit more speed and tenacity on the forecheck.

I like all 3 but I think you give a nod the the guy who played most of the year there. (I think Kapanen is up for good now, and will practice with the team if he isn't in the lineup)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Leivo for sure. Shosh is nice to have around but he doesnt produce reliably. If they have any injuries/slumps and need someone to move up to the top 6, Lievo fits in. Shosh is looking like an energy guy which is nice to have but limited.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Leivo for sure. Shosh is nice to have around but he doesnt produce reliably. If they have any injuries/slumps and need someone to move up to the top 6, Lievo fits in. Shosh is looking like an energy guy which is nice to have but limited.

He's been on the 4th line almost the entirety of the year. Hard to produce reliably, albeit he didn't do much the couple chances he moved up.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Leivo > Kapanen > Sosh

I like all three though.

I also don't think it's the end of the world to sit Martin sometimes and rotate these guys in. I'm not saying we should bench Martin permanently, but he doesn't need to play every day if his toughness and fighting isn't needed at the time.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if its on the 4th line...give me the player with better speed and defense and physicality

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I slightly prefer Sosh at the moment.

But Leivo it's close. A good problem to have.

Kapanen we'll see. All could be starting next season hard to say.

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017
I vote Eric Fehr! haha. I like Kapanen-can kill penalties and provides better offence then Sosh although Sosh isn't bad. Lievo isn't a great option on the 4th line as he doesn't kill penalties. It's too bad really because Lievo has done nothing but put up points. It's a good problem to have but if they can't find a spot for Lievo they really need to move him.

Matt Martin doesn't kill penalties and doesn't exactly put up points. Maybe they should sit Martin? Idk not a huge fan of the 4th line. Boyle and Martin are limited offensively.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Also, I would like to add, the guy we keep is dependent on the match-up. If we play the Sens, I would not be hesitant to sit Martin for instance and keep two of Kapanen and one of the other to go with Boyle on the 4th line. Boyle with Sosh and Kapanen's speed beside him would likely cause havoc in all areas of the ice. A huge threat on the rush and the tenacity plus size (Sosh's grit and Boyle's size) down low would cause troubles on the cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->