Line Combos: Playoffs: Leivo or Soshnikov and why?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leivo should be slotted in somewhere because he's got a bit of versatility and size. Could really use that out there on a smaller line to stop Washington from cycling them to death.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
our coach doesnt seem to like leivo, theres nothing fans or the player can do when your coach isnt a fan of you

like a lot of fans dont like hyman much, but dam babs loves him, and theres nothing you can do cause its the coaches say

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Leivo should be slotted in somewhere because he's got a bit of versatility and size. Could really use that out there on a smaller line to stop Washington from cycling them to death.

Leivo is closer to being out of the NHL altogether than in it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leivo is closer to being out of the NHL altogether than in it.

I wouldn't go that far. He could crack more than a few lineups in the NHL taking a regular shift in a bottom 6 role.

We just have a ridiculous amount of depth at forward and he's the victim of the numbers game here.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I wouldn't go that far. He could crack more than a few lineups in the NHL taking a regular shift in a bottom 6 role.

We just have a ridiculous amount of depth at forward and he's the victim of the numbers game here.[/QUOTE

He wouldn't be the first guy to bolt for Europe after finding very little success in North America in the 6 years after getting drafted.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
How about both? Either trade or expose Matt Martin. I don't see any enforcers on the Pens when they won the cup so why do we need one. Speed and Skill always triumph over physicality. Martin is useless and the 4th line would be much better with Sosh or Leivo in his spot.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
How about both? Either trade or expose Matt Martin. I don't see any enforcers on the Pens when they won the cup so why do we need one. Speed and Skill always triumph over physicality. Martin is useless and the 4th line would be much better with Sosh or Leivo in his spot.

Our speed game is one of the main reasons we are in this series, dressing Leivo would be counter productive to that. Sosh is injured, so not even an option.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
That's a bit extreme, he was generating pretty good offense last time he was in. Babcock just doesn't like him, we saw similar things with other players

41 games in 6 seasons and can't skate. He's going to start thinking about his future real soon.

He might be better off in Europe for his own sake.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
saying leivo cant skate isnt fair. Hes not the fastest player on the team but hes can still wheel when he has to. And id argue hes probably top 3 in terms of protecting the puck/ being strong his skates.

And you're being really disingenuous when your saying 41 games in 6 years cause if you prorate his production over that time frame, thats 36 points and 18g

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
saying leivo cant skate isnt fair. Hes not the fastest player on the team but hes can still wheel when he has to. And id argue hes probably top 3 in terms of protecting the puck/ being strong his skates.

And you're being really disingenuous when your saying 41 games in 6 years cause if you prorate his production over that time frame, thats 36 points and 18g

Leivo has a lot of great attributes, however, skating has never been one of them.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Agree to disagree, Leivo has improved his skating noticeably this year imo.
In terms of speed it is avg but hes really strong on his skates.

I'll take it even further, you're right, he is strong on the puck. But his first few steps are well below average. His skating has always been what's held him back and it always will be.

It's too bad too, his other skills are well above average.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

We just have a ridiculous amount of depth at forward and he's the victim of the numbers game here.[/QUOTE

He wouldn't be the first guy to bolt for Europe after finding very little success in North America in the 6 years after getting drafted.

He has 10 points in 13 games..... I'm sure a team would pick him up.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
He has 10 points in 13 games..... I'm sure a team would pick him up.

They might. It's also good for him there will be 12-14 new forward positions available in the NHL next year. But, would anyone be all that surprised if he opted for a longer term deal with more financial security in Europe?

He'll be 24 next month and again...only 41 games in the NHL for his career.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leivo puts up points in the ahl, and puts them up in the nhl...but the coaches dont play him, that sounds crazy doesnt it, but there has to be a reason right...and every answer points to skating and speed, like leivo isnt skating in quicksand out there, but when every young player moving forward has great to elite skating and speed, you tend to be stand out even more

look at our D and forwards right now, some lack height and size, some lack talent and skills, some cant even shoot the dam puck, some lack it all, like hunwick and carrick dont got nothing going on other than being great skaters...our scouts, management, and coaches are building a team based upon skill and speed

speed in all 3 zones is also our main advantage over caps right now

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'll take it even further, you're right, he is strong on the puck. But his first few steps are well below average. His skating has always been what's held him back and it always will be.

It's too bad too, his other skills are well above average.

its been too long since ive seen him play, you may be right about his first few steps, but i remember him being faster this year and hes still faster then boyle and martin imo, although boyle still brings A LOT else to the table, martin on the other hand....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad