Player Discussion: Drew Doughty Thread

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
When you lose, everything becomes a conspiracy.

Seems like it's lose-lose no matter what happens. Keep Doughty, the cap is done, and it's all celebrating the past for at least the next half decade until all the other bad contracts are finished. Trade Doughty, and they have the wrong guys in charge of that task anyway, so they won't get the best deal they can, just the one they can sell to fans even if they can sell just one more ticket.

The worst thing the franchise ever did was win the Cup. They'll never let go of it. They haven't. Every move since winning has proven that. Same way Edmonton hasn't let go of the Gretzky days. I'm sure the Islanders still sell the 4 year run 35 years ago. The Flyers certainly do with the Bullies. The Wings won't ever be the same with the son of a great owner. The Hawks won't be the same.

The Kings had their time, and now it's about enshrining it. That's why everyone after 2012 has gotten their contracts, even though nobody should have. It'll probably be decades, if then, before they get the right circumstances, at the right time, with the right guy, to do anything again. Until then, it's remember 2012 and 2014, because that's all you're getting.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When you lose, everything becomes a conspiracy.

Seems like it's lose-lose no matter what happens. Keep Doughty, the cap is done, and it's all celebrating the past for at least the next half decade until all the other bad contracts are finished. Trade Doughty, and they have the wrong guys in charge of that task anyway, so they won't get the best deal they can, just the one they can sell to fans even if they can sell just one more ticket.

The worst thing the franchise ever did was win the Cup. They'll never let go of it. They haven't. Every move since winning has proven that. Same way Edmonton hasn't let go of the Gretzky days. I'm sure the Islanders still sell the 4 year run 35 years ago. The Flyers certainly do with the Bullies. The Wings won't ever be the same with the son of a great owner. The Hawks won't be the same.

The Kings had their time, and now it's about enshrining it. That's why everyone after 2012 has gotten their contracts, even though nobody should have. It'll probably be decades, if then, before they get the right circumstances, at the right time, with the right guy, to do anything again. Until then, it's remember 2012 and 2014, because that's all you're getting.
I recommend being vocal about not supporting this approach. It's just a hockey organization and in the great scheme of things it really doesn't matter, but when the organization asks, let them know what you think.

Biggest thing you can do is vote with your wallet.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I recommend being vocal about not supporting this approach. It's just a hockey organization and in the great scheme of things it really doesn't matter, but when the organization asks, let them know what you think.

Biggest thing you can do is vote with your wallet.

Just not sure the wallet matters at this point. More fans shouldn't go, but the franchise has married themselves to the Cup core, and nothing is going to change until that's played itself through. The first wrong move was re-signing Quick when Jones was still here. They had their next cheaper guy, and if they win in 2014 with Quick, they probably do the same with Jones(who might've saved the season anyway when Quick got hurt). Once that was done, then the mess of a contract with Brown had to happen, and it's been downhill since.

Brown is done in 4 years. Quick in 5. Kopitar in 6. At least 2023 before anything significant happens. They all signed retirement contracts, and will retire as Kings. They have the right guys to manage this era of mediocrity. Big Kings names of the past selling championship banners. This is the downside of actually winning, because winning has never lasted forever, for any team.

I agree, fans should not invest in this team for the time being. Emotionally, or financially. There's really nothing the franchise can do to change anything. They made their bed a long time ago. Nobody needs the big ticket players on this team. Even if they did trade Doughty, there's still too much cap space in old players. They're not getting what the Flyers got for Carter. Muzzin and Martinez, if we know what they are, so does the rest of the league. Martinez is a 3rd pairing defenseman. Probably not getting a solid 2nd line scorer for that. If they got another Pearson for him, that would be a great return. Nothing good will happen for at least 5 years, other than potentially getting some high picks if they suck enough.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just not sure the wallet matters at this point. More fans shouldn't go, but the franchise has married themselves to the Cup core, and nothing is going to change until that's played itself through. The first wrong move was re-signing Quick when Jones was still here. They had their next cheaper guy, and if they win in 2014 with Quick, they probably do the same with Jones(who might've saved the season anyway when Quick got hurt). Once that was done, then the mess of a contract with Brown had to happen, and it's been downhill since.

Brown is done in 4 years. Quick in 5. Kopitar in 6. At least 2023 before anything significant happens. They all signed retirement contracts, and will retire as Kings. They have the right guys to manage this era of mediocrity. Big Kings names of the past selling championship banners. This is the downside of actually winning, because winning has never lasted forever, for any team.

I agree, fans should not invest in this team for the time being. Emotionally, or financially. There's really nothing the franchise can do to change anything. They made their bed a long time ago. Nobody needs the big ticket players on this team. Even if they did trade Doughty, there's still too much cap space in old players. They're not getting what the Flyers got for Carter. Muzzin and Martinez, if we know what they are, so does the rest of the league. Martinez is a 3rd pairing defenseman. Probably not getting a solid 2nd line scorer for that. If they got another Pearson for him, that would be a great return. Nothing good will happen for at least 5 years, other than potentially getting some high picks if they suck enough.
I think the Quick contract happened in 2012 when they had Bernier as backup, but I get what you mean. Jones was a member of the Manchester Monarchs at the time.

Winning doesn't last forever, which is why I have said in the past they had a great three year run, and now it's over. Time to move on and garner whatever assets they can by moving out the older players for whatever they can get. Carter, for example should have been moved at the deadline in 2016.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
If the office really wants to come even close to contending, they need to look at firing Stevens, who has failed as a head coach IMHO.

-Took one of the best possession teams in league history and turned them into a below average possession team.

-Focused on high scoring chances while failing to produce them at any meaningful rate or when it mattered most. This is reflected by a bottom 13 Goals For and Bottom 10 Expected Goals For, which reflects shot quality.

-Turned an aggressive, possession based defensive system into meme, homebase defense, which has never worked for long stretches of time. This is reflected in the huge disparity between a 5v5 rank 3 Goals against, but an expected goals against of rank 13.

-Took a team with the best start in franchise history to almost missing playoffs.

Despite the actual results of the team being on paper better than last year (but really, whats better, missing playoffs or getting swept??), in every in depth analytical sense, we've gotten much worse.

It's become clear that Stevens doesn't know what he's doing, despite thinking he does. The goal was to take Sutter's system, add some offensive flair, and score more. Stevens has done the opposite.

The front office and coaching staff constantly preach moving into the future, embracing analytics, and trying to create a modern system. This year, they have utterly failed in that regard. The best move to signal their understanding of modern hockey would be to can Stevens.

Of course, that will never happen.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I mean I´m certainly not convinced Stevens is the best option out there but I think taking a step away from advanced stats being a huge point of focus is probably a good move. The Kings were crushing the advanced stats under Sutter but had virtually nothing to show for it over three years time. After that I think us Kings fans know better than most that advanced stats aren´t everything since The Kings were among the best at it but still sucked, or at least were underwhelming.

That being said I would like to see them be above average at it, that´s for sure.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Did I really just read that the worst thing to happen to the Kings was winning the cup??

Cmon, tongue in cheek there? A little?

Seriously, if you believe that, WTF are you cheering for then? OMG my team won the cup, HOW DARE THEY, worst thing that could happen to them, I much prefer that they make the playoffs but don't do anything.. you do realize that's the alternative right??

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Brown is done in 4 years. Quick in 5. Kopitar in 6. At least 2023 before anything significant happens.

You don't know this.

Tampa married themselves to Richarads/Lecavalier/Boyle/MSL. Half that core was traded 4 years later.

If the Kings capitulate and bottom out, something will happen.

Muzzin and Martinez, if we know what they are, so does the rest of the league. Martinez is a 3rd pairing defenseman. Probably not getting a solid 2nd line scorer for that. If they got another Pearson for him, that would be a great return. Nothing good will happen for at least 5 years, other than potentially getting some high picks if they suck enough.
This is simply wrong. Muzzin and Martinez are top 4 defensemen on good contracts. The going rate for players of their ilk is a 1st.

Just not sure the wallet matters at this point. More fans shouldn't go, but the franchise has married themselves to the Cup core, and nothing is going to change until that's played itself through.
I do understand what you're saying, but I think you're jumping to conclusions and being overly pessimistic on a few things.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the Quick contract happened in 2012 when they had Bernier as backup, but I get what you mean. Jones was a member of the Manchester Monarchs at the time.

Yeah, I figured since Bernier had already been supplanted by Quick, he wasn't the guy to take over for him.

Winning doesn't last forever, which is why I have said in the past they had a great three year run, and now it's over. Time to move on and garner whatever assets they can by moving out the older players for whatever they can get. Carter, for example should have been moved at the deadline in 2016.

2016? The 2015 deadline, if not the 2014 draft, when everyone on this roster should've been dealt. Not one player has increased in value since that 2nd Cup was raised.

If the office really wants to come even close to contending, they need to look at firing Stevens, who has failed as a head coach IMHO.

-Took one of the best possession teams in league history and turned them into a below average possession team.

-Focused on high scoring chances while failing to produce them at any meaningful rate or when it mattered most. This is reflected by a bottom 13 Goals For and Bottom 10 Expected Goals For, which reflects shot quality.

-Turned an aggressive, possession based defensive system into meme, homebase defense, which has never worked for long stretches of time. This is reflected in the huge disparity between a 5v5 rank 3 Goals against, but an expected goals against of rank 13.

-Took a team with the best start in franchise history to almost missing playoffs.

Despite the actual results of the team being on paper better than last year (but really, whats better, missing playoffs or getting swept??), in every in depth analytical sense, we've gotten much worse.

It's become clear that Stevens doesn't know what he's doing, despite thinking he does. The goal was to take Sutter's system, add some offensive flair, and score more. Stevens has done the opposite.

The front office and coaching staff constantly preach moving into the future, embracing analytics, and trying to create a modern system. This year, they have utterly failed in that regard. The best move to signal their understanding of modern hockey would be to can Stevens.

Of course, that will never happen.

All that possession stuff was really just throwing pucks on net. It wasn't actual possession. Not like Detroit back in their heyday. A little smoke and mirror action because Lombardi never got enough actual talent. Outside of trading the future away, which started years before Lucic.

The goal was to make the players happy, since most of them aren't going anywhere, and that was done by not playing Sutter's system. Plus they don't have the manpower to play Sutter's system anyway. Look at the defense. The depth isn't there up front to even consistently roll lines.

Stevens is fine, he's just working with a flawed roster. Even if Stevens isn't good, there's no coach that's going to make the team better. Gallant wouldn't even do it. The Panthers lost to the a 1 man Islanders team in the 1st round a couple years ago. He's not making Toffoli fast, and nobody is mistaking Pearson for Perron either.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Did I really just read that the worst thing to happen to the Kings was winning the cup??

Cmon, tongue in cheek there? A little?

Seriously, if you believe that, WTF are you cheering for then? OMG my team won the cup, HOW DARE THEY, worst thing that could happen to them, I much prefer that they make the playoffs but don't do anything.. you do realize that's the alternative right??

It's not the worst thing, but in terms of holding onto the past, it is the worst thing that could happen. They'll always be able to remind us of what used to be if anything doesn't go right. Like if they have 1 playoff win in 4 seasons, they can remind everyone that they do have championships.

Mediocrity is normal for most teams most of the time though. Most teams make the playoff, if they make it, with no real chance of winning. Maybe go out in the 2nd round, probably out in the 1st. A real chance comes along rarely in a franchise's history. It's why Lombardi did what he did in 2015 and 2016, and why I don't have a problem that he did it. He tried to keep that window open, because it doesn't happen often. You want to squeeze as much as you can from that turnip.

You don't know this.

Tampa married themselves to Richarads/Lecavalier/Boyle/MSL. Half that core was traded 4 years later.

If the Kings capitulate and bottom out, something will happen.

Trading Richards then, and trading Brown now, are a little different. Richards was about 4 or 5 years younger, and Brown needs another really good season, and then he'd be 34 with still a couple years left. Maybe buy guys out after the next lockout.

For all intents and purposes, they're locked into the retirement contract guys.

This is simply wrong. Muzzin and Martinez are top 4 defensemen on good contracts. The going rate for players of their ilk is a 1st.

Muzzin, sure. So many people keep saying that Martinez plays too much though. He's become a top 4 for the Kings as they've lost other defensemen for one reason or another, but is he a top 4? On a playoff team, maybe. It's been 50/50. On a contender? Hasn't been the case yet.

It might be pessimistic, but any time with trade talk, I figure any return will be on the lower end. Unless you get very lucky, or you're trading a guy when you wouldn't realistically think about trading him. You wouldn't trade Doughty after he won the Norris in 2016, but that would be the best time to trade him. If you're talking getting great value back.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
There's 31 teams in the league, soon to be 32. It took 45 years to win a cup. The likelihood of us seeing another cup win anytime soon is low...regardless of what we do.

Lidstrom won the cup at 39 with a cap hit of $7.45m when the cap was $56.7m.

Niedermayer won the cup at 34 with a cap hit of $6.75m when the cap was $44m.

We can still win more cups with Doughty and Kopitar on the roster, we can still fail to win cups even by trading them for peak value. If we blow it all up and still don't win I'll resent that we shipped off Hall of Famers in the prime of their careers for nothing.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Trading Richards then, and trading Brown now, are a little different. Richards was about 4 or 5 years younger, and Brown needs another really good season, and then he'd be 34 with still a couple years left. Maybe buy guys out after the next lockout.

For all intents and purposes, they're locked into the retirement contract guys.

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick are all on moveable contracts. "Untradable" players have a way of getting traded. If the Kings bottom out, I think something will happen. Maybe not, but in modern pro sports players and teams really aren't married.

Muzzin, sure. So many people keep saying that Martinez plays too much though. He's become a top 4 for the Kings as they've lost other defensemen for one reason or another, but is he a top 4? On a playoff team, maybe. It's been 50/50. On a contender? Hasn't been the case yet.

It might be pessimistic, but any time with trade talk, I figure any return will be on the lower end. Unless you get very lucky, or you're trading a guy when you wouldn't realistically think about trading him.
Matinez plays 22 minutes a night for the best defensive team in the NHL. Plays in all situations. Has extensive playoff exprience. Is signed at a relatively low cap hit. The going rate for this type of player is a first round pick.

Nick Hjalmarsson was traded for a 1st round prostpect and a 2nd round prospect.

Cap Hit:
Hjalmarsson 4.1M (2 yeas left)
Martinez 4M (3 years left)

Martinez 30

Stats:
Hjalmarsson 21:30 TOI/G 18pts
Martinez 22:52 TOI/G, 25pts

And Hjalmarsson is a SC champion coming from a former contending team. He's as good of a comp as possible.

But like I posted about Carter, it doesn't matter anyways because it doesn't look like they're trading him.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
They were a "black hole" team during the cup years. The kings never had a dominant regular season like Chicago, Nashville, Pittsburgh etc.

I think some of the suggestions here are very knee jerk and unnecessary. The pain of the sweep is tough and it tests fans patience however I think it's silly to think this team can't be retooled. Players like Kopitar, Doughty, Quick don't just fall out of the sky, even with a lot of hard work you need some luck to draft guys like these.

I'm not the biggest fan of Rob Blake but I'll certainly defer to his expertise over many of the the minds found here.

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach
So dire.

Our core just had career years.

Peterson and Vilardi are in the pipe.

Kempe, Amadio, and Iaffalo were good adds.

Ran into fn Vegas. Lost four one goal games and held them to 7 goals.

I had fun this season even if the playoffs sucked.

They are a bit of a black hole team but not the worst team out there.

there is a lot of doom and gloom on the boards. always has been. id been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to jump in the fray despite the negativity. you can either choose to look at the situation 1 of two ways: have hope in the guys like amadio, kempe, vilarde, et al., or tell everyone that it will be DECADES until the kings are even close to being contenders.

I'm not saying that it wont be decades because no one really knows. it certainly might be. but I actually look to the coming years with a degree of optimism. you can sh*t all over Stevens, and the defense if it makes you feel better, but I'm choosing a more positive route. I've invested money, time, energy and emotion into this team and it's deflating to buy into the idea that this team is trash and will never be a good team. It brings me down, man. So, I choose to take the brighter path because in the end, no one here knows for sure what is going to happen.

Naive? perhaps. but it makes me feel better so that's the direction I go.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
there is a lot of doom and gloom on the boards. always has been. id been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to jump in the fray despite the negativity. you can either choose to look at the situation 1 of two ways: have hope in the guys like amadio, kempe, vilarde, et al., or tell everyone that it will be DECADES until the kings are even close to being contenders.

I'm not saying that it wont be decades because no one really knows. it certainly might be. but I actually look to the coming years with a degree of optimism. you can sh*t all over Stevens, and the defense if it makes you feel better, but I'm choosing a more positive route. I've invested money, time, energy and emotion into this team and it's deflating to buy into the idea that this team is trash and will never be a good team. It brings me down, man. So, I choose to take the brighter path because in the end, no one here knows for sure what is going to happen.

Welcome to the boards. I can get down on this team but it’s good to keep things in perspective. Will always love the Kings no matter what peak or valley they are in.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

Ya gotta have hope.

I never thought I'd see this team win two championships, I would have sold my soul to see it happen once. People crap all over Lombardi and sutter but they brought glory to our beloved franchise.

To expect this team to contend for a cup year in and year out is unrealistic and quite frankly pretentious. I've peaked as a sports fan, no question. I'll never care as much as I did before 2012. I think some of the younger fans here don't know what it's like to wait 20 or 30 years watching your team get their d***s knocked in, always wondering what it's like to taste the cup.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We weren't supposed to be playoff contenders this year. What we needed was to re-tool this team after Lombardi left a big hole in roster talent and show that we can make the playoffs. And our young defensemen need some more time to mature.

Mission accomplished.

Now we just have to bring in more young guys to put around our core. So far so good with Blake's UFA signings. We do need to fix whatever's going on with Toffoli and Pearson as well and re-sign Doughty.

Other than that, 90%+ of the NHL still wishes they had our core.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ya gotta have hope.

I never thought I'd see this team win two championships, I would have sold my soul to see it happen once. People crap all over Lombardi and sutter but they brought glory to our beloved franchise.

To expect this team to contend for a cup year in and year out is unrealistic and quite frankly pretentious. I've peaked as a sports fan, no question. I'll never care as much as I did before 2012. I think some of the younger fans here don't know what it's like to wait 20 or 30 years watching your team get their d***s knocked in, always wondering what it's like to taste the cup.

This hit home for me seriously. I get those "facebook memories' and everything up to 2012 is posts every Kings, Lakers, Rams, Dodgers game and now I didn't even realize the draft was yesterday and it's totally bare. The anxiety I felt in 2012 and 2014 is totally gone. We lost this year and I was very 'oh well' while in 2011 my remote flew a lot more than once a game. Sure part of it is getting older too, but the catharsis of that success numbed everything else I feel in sports. Even the Dodgers deep run, the Rams coming home didn't really move the needle...mayyyybe Dodgers Game 7. Maybe in another generation I'll get that feeling back if we suck again for decades, but that experience was seriously indescribable.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There's 31 teams in the league, soon to be 32. It took 45 years to win a cup. The likelihood of us seeing another cup win anytime soon is low...regardless of what we do.

Lidstrom won the cup at 39 with a cap hit of $7.45m when the cap was $56.7m.

Niedermayer won the cup at 34 with a cap hit of $6.75m when the cap was $44m.

We can still win more cups with Doughty and Kopitar on the roster, we can still fail to win cups even by trading them for peak value. If we blow it all up and still don't win I'll resent that we shipped off Hall of Famers in the prime of their careers for nothing.

A trade would not result in any of the Kings players being shipped off for 'nothing'. If any of those 3 were traded, the Kings would get valuable assets and top picks back.

Keeping Quick, Kopi and Doughty doesn't' mean the Kings will get to the SCF again or win, either. They've been on the team these last 4 years when the Kings failed. And depending on what the return was, for any of these players, there is a chance they could contend again.

Keeping them doesn't make them better, it makes them the same as they are now. But creating a stronger, better team going forward, including trades if that is the path, should be their goal.

Reactions: kenito7 and KINGS17

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
A trade would not result in any of the Kings players being shipped off for 'nothing'. If any of those 3 were traded, the Kings would get valuable assets and top picks back.

"For nothing" means trading them and not winning cups with the pieces that are returned. If we don't win cups with the players returned when all is said and done I'll look back at the decision and consider it a mistake. The argument for trading them is to improve our chances to win cups, if we don't win cups as a result, then we gave up on our hall of famers "for nothing."

Keeping Quick, Kopi and Doughty doesn't' mean the Kings will get to the SCF again or win, either. They've been on the team these last 4 years when the Kings failed. And depending on what the return was, for any of these players, there is a chance they could contend again.
Keeping them doesn't make them better, it makes them the same as they are now. But creating a stronger, better team going forward, including trades if that is the path, should be their goal.

My point is that the likelihood of winning a championship in a 31 (or 32) team league is very low regardless of course of action. I also don't believe that keeping them forfeits our ability to contend again or represents some misguided notion of loyalty or lack of effort. Elite players can still win cups past the age of 30, rebuilding teams can still fail spectacularly. Pittsburgh's core is on the wrong side of 30. Guentzal and Murray were 3rd round picks.

Reactions: The Butcher

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
"For nothing" means trading them and not winning cups with the pieces that are returned. If we don't win cups with the players returned when all is said and done I'll look back at the decision and consider it a mistake. The argument for trading them is to improve our chances to win cups, if we don't win cups as a result, then we gave up on our hall of famers "for nothing."

My point is that the likelihood of winning a championship in a 31 (or 32) team league is very low regardless of course of action. I also don't believe that keeping them forfeits our ability to contend again or represents some misguided notion of loyalty or lack of effort. Elite players can still win cups past the age of 30, rebuilding teams can still fail spectacularly. Pittsburgh's core is on the wrong side of 30. Guentzal and Murray were 3rd round picks.

For nothing- okay, it's a bit more clear, as stated above. But keeping them isn't any guarantee and they could contend again with skilled players achieved in a trade. So that works both ways

Keeping them and contending- That also works both ways, keeping them hasn't done anything for the last 4 years, and keeping them w/o changes might never get that Cup again. Teams that make trades win Cups too. Pens success was born of changes made to the existing team, with a high profile core that could not achieve success the last several years. So in Jan 2 yrs ago, they were sinking and got a new coach/style and players (Haglin, Bonino, Kessel) that they traded for to make their team better. W/O that new coach and those players, it's unlikely they'd have 2 Cups in the last 2 years. Those 'core players' they had for several years prior, did nothing for them to get to the SCF.

It still takes a whole team to win that Cup. And w/o changes, I don't see this Kings team keeping up with the speed and skill of the div/con and NHL. But I think Luc and Blake know that as well and will make the right moves.
Doughty wants to win' cups' and this team, as it is composed now, is not in the place to do that. He's not that dumb, and if they want him to stay , they will have to move out some key players to improve their team.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad