Player Discussion: Drew Doughty Thread

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Chicago retooled while still making the playoffs and winning cups. The Kings have won one playoff game in two playoff appearance in 4 years.
What other team besides Pittsburg has won the cup with the same core 5 years apart?
Seems like that's a pretty small pool, but I'll take a shot. I've been following hockey for over three decades, and over that time, the Redwings, Devils, and Avalanche, in addition to the Penguins you named, have all won Cups separated by 3-5 years with a core group. It's doable.

In the past 10 seasons (counting this one), only four teams in the NHL have won a Cup. That's Pittsburgh and Chicago thrice each, Kings twice, and Bruins once. Penguins and Bruins are in the hunt again this year. Every one of those teams had a very strong core and retooled to stay competitive. The Stanley Cup is very difficult to win. You have to have a great core, a strong team identity, AND get really lucky to win. Can the current core do it again? Maybe.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Seems like that's a pretty small pool, but I'll take a shot. I've been following hockey for over three decades, and over that time, the Redwings, Devils, and Avalanche, in addition to the Penguins you named, have all won Cups separated by 3-5 years with a core group. It's doable.

In the past 10 seasons (counting this one), only four teams in the NHL have won a Cup. That's Pittsburgh and Chicago thrice each, Kings twice, and Bruins once. Penguins and Bruins are in the hunt again this year. Every one of those teams had a very strong core and retooled to stay competitive. The Stanley Cup is very difficult to win. You have to have a great core, a strong team identity, AND get really lucky to win. Can the current core do it again? Maybe.

Hmm. Two of those teams drafted a goalie in the first round and a third drafted one in the first as well but flipped him for a HHOF goalie.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Detroit was a fluke. They had a core full of Hall of Fame players then drafted two more Hall of Fame players in the late rounds of back to back drafts after winning their cups.

Imagine where the Kings would be if Jonny Brodzinski and Spencer Watson were both Hall of Fame players, that is what Detroit had happen to them with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Detroit was a fluke. They had a core full of Hall of Fame players then drafted two more Hall of Fame players in the late rounds of back to back drafts after winning their cups.

Imagine where the Kings would be if Jonny Brodzinski and Spencer Watson were both Hall of Fame players, that is what Detroit had happen to them with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Who says they aren’t? I believe!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I'm sure in Basilik's head Max Kitsyn and Nikolai Prokhorkov could still become those players.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

There's still time! :naughty:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Exactly. People talk about Detroit like they’re the golden standard and not a freakish anomaly. The Datsyuk pick alone may never be replicated in the NHL again with how much better teams have become at scouting European players.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Pens fan coming in peace. If LA were to float a trade proposal to Pittsburgh for Doughty what do you all think that might look like?

Right now it seems like most of our roster and prospects can be had aside from Crosby and Malkin of course. Guentzel would be the only other person considered untouchable. Does a deal based around Letang and Kessel get the ball rolling?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Pens fan coming in peace. If LA were to float a trade proposal to Pittsburgh for Doughty what do you all think that might look like?

Right now it seems like most of our roster and prospects can be had aside from Crosby and Malkin of course. Guentzel would be the only other person considered untouchable. Does a deal based around Letang and Kessel get the ball rolling?
It's really hard to say. We'd want an astronomical return, but I don't think any team is willing to give up the amount of assets we want because Drew only has one year left on his deal.

Kessel and Letang wouldn't do it for me. They're both 30. I'd want excellent young players or prospects.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Not Letang,

Not knowing too much about the Pens players,

Maata, Sprong, Guentzel, and a 1st or 2,

I don't see any other way, and there's no way Pittsburgh does that for just one year of Doughty

Reactions: King Trouty

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Exactly. People talk about Detroit like they’re the golden standard and not a freakish anomaly. The Datsyuk pick alone may never be replicated in the NHL again with how much better teams have become at scouting European players.

They had the title of greatest drafting team in history for so long because of those two, yet never replicated anyone of that talent since. They got so lucky with Datsyuk and Zetterberg it's not even funny.
In a way it's like the way the Kings found Kopitar. They were scouting the next Esa Pernes and saw him by accident playing in the SEL of where ever.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Crosby or Malkin. There are no untouchables when it comes to Doughty.

Reactions: King Trouty

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings and Pens would be bad trade partners if Blake were to try and move Doughty. The Pens would not part with Crosby or Malkin and beyond that there really isn't much that would interest the Kings.

Reactions: ziggyfan

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

The Kings would take any proposal from another team and then go to the Leafs, to see if they would do better. Marner, Liljegren (rhd) + #1 ??
Letang and Kessel have contracts through 21-22 and for 7.25 and 8.0. That's 15.25 million for those 2. Cannot afford that, just best to sign DD for the 11+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad