Player Discussion: Drew Doughty Thread

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Patrick O'Neal during the Flames/Kings broadcast in March (20:02) - "HNIC After Hours had a great interview with Drew Doughty in which he said term and money does not matter, team and winning does. That's all that matters."

Reactions: KingTrouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Patrick O'Neal during the Flames/Kings broadcast in March (20:02) - "HNIC After Hours had a great interview with Drew Doughty in which he said term and money does not matter, team and winning does. That's all that matters."
So, he lied? Let's see if Doughty is true to his word. Lombardi won the last round with Meehan when he forced Doughty to give the Kings more years than he wanted to on Doughty's second deal. I bet that still doesn't sit well with Meehan.

I am still looking forward to the next CBA.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I would say that was the exception, not the rule. And it certainly isn't the rule for our top players. Kopi got max, Doughty held out last time. Quick got close to top dollar when he signed.
Stamkos is the exception until someone else does it. Why not Doughty? I am growing tired of the players saying all the right things to look good to the fans, then doing something else.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
So, he lied? Let's see if Doughty is true to his word. Lombardi won the last round with Meehan when he forced Doughty to give the Kings more years than he wanted to on Doughty's second deal. I bet that still doesn't sit well with Meehan.

I am still looking forward to the next CBA.

You got him all wrong. He’s telling the truth. He’s going to sign in Vegas for less, net more, and be on a contender. :sarcasm:

Reactions: KINGS17
Jun 30, 2006
True, but I just can't see the PA pushing for the 14 mil just for the sake of their union.

You underestimate the Union. They will lean on Doughty to set the table for the next batch of free agents. When was the last time a potential 2 time Norris winner/Cup winner/gold medalist was up for a contract extension?

Reactions: Rorschach

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The worst.
mrz041718-color-1-4_1_orig.jpg

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Whatever happens, I hope it happens quickly. If he's not signed by 7/1, trade him no later than 7/2. I absolutely cannot take months and months of Doughty speculation. It's been bad enough already. Not that it'll distract the team or anything. Not that it'll make him play distracted. None of that do I care about. Just my own enjoyment. I'd rather watch the team lose quietly in 4 games than talk about where Doughty goes. I'd rather watch the team meekly miss the playoffs altogether than listen to every broadcast where it's all about what's going to happen with Doughty.

I don't even care what the Kings get for him in a trade if they trade him. A conditional 6th is fine. If not 7/1, end this on 7/2. Please. I wish the deadline was today.

1 assist in his last 8 playoff games. Playoff Doughty left with the rest of them.

Doughty's value on July 1st will be the exact same as his trade value during next trade deadline (since either way, the team will have him for one playoff run). Management is going to use all the time they have to convince their franchise defenseman to sign.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Stamkos didn't really sign for much of a discount. He was coming off a 64 point season. After dominating offensively for four straight seasons, he had a major leg injury, followed by two straight seasons of declining production.

So at the time he signed the deal, it wasn't exactly the best time for him.

Also there's no income tax in Florida, which probably saves him around 1M/year. Other wise he may not have settled for what he got.

Additionally, under the CBA if he didn't re-sign with Tampa, he would only be allowed a 7 year deal, which further incentived him to sign with TB so he could get that extra year. This is once piece of leverage the Kings hold over Doughty as well.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Yeah, I don’t know where the “Stamkos took a discount” narrative came from. He didn’t. At the time of his contract, he was a depreciating asset with some major injury concerns.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, I don’t know where the “Stamkos took a discount” narrative came from. He didn’t. At the time of his contract, he was a depreciating asset with some major injury concerns.
Mostly centered around other teams being rumored to be willing to pay him much more.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Doughty's value on July 1st will be the exact same as his trade value during next trade deadline (since either way, the team will have him for one playoff run). Management is going to use all the time they have to convince their franchise defenseman to sign.
I couldn't disagree more. Any team which trades for Doughty this summer gets him for an entire season, then another 8 seasons. That's worth more than getting Doughty at the deadline next season. Kings are also exposed to the possibility of an unsigned Doughty getting injured during the season, which could reduce his value.

There is absolutely no reason for a contract to not get done if both sides are serious about it, and if Doughty really is interested in winning in LA again. It's Meehan though so my expectations are not high.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I don't think Doughty will have a quick answer for the Kings. Remember what happened last time. Kings will re-sign him or lose him for nothing.

This CANNOT happen. If Blake and co choose to negotiate into the season they have to know if he is not signed by the trade deadline you have to move him and get what you can. Really the team should have a feel in the offseason so I really hope it is decided one way or the other by start of season but it could drag on.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

I think this might be the interview you referenced. They had him on years ago (2010), that might have been the only other time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No, but you have to show Doughty that you’ll do whatever to keep him. Both sides are playing nice right now.

No need to get serious until contracts are proposed.
I bet Doughty can tell when people in the organization are being sycophants.

Jun 30, 2006
I bet Doughty can tell when people in the organization are being sycophants.

If by people you mean Luc, then yeah I’m sure he knows.

But they got to be careful here, start handing out unnecessary praise for pr purposes then Doughty/Meehan will really think he’s worth 14 million.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In case you guys weren't aware...

The NHL announced on Monday the each club’s nominee for the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, awarded annually “to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.” The only King to have won the award was Dave Taylor in 1991.

In line with the contributions the LA Kings have made to the Ronald McDonald House – the team donated $1 million to the charity following their 2014 Stadium Series game, which helped open a new dining hall and activity center, and has continued to provide assistance through its Pedals for Pucks fundraiser – Doughty has also personally donated and has helped raise funds through his own private endeavors.

For the third year in a row, he raised funds for Camp Ronald McDonald’s Wilderness Outdoor Leadership Program, a program for teens that develops leadership skills by empowering kids to take initiative through team-building activities. For the last two summers, he has hosted the Drew Doughty Ronald McDonald House AAA Invitational and has matched the funds raised by the tournament each year. Half of those funds went directly to Ronald McDonald House, with the other half going to the London Junior Knights to cover the scholarships and costs of high-level minor hockey for families that have trouble affording it.

In addition to his work with Ronald McDonald House, he donates $50,000 each year on tickets for children and their families to attend Kings games, and since his arrival in Los Angeles, has “adopted” families from the Child Abuse Prevention Center during the holidays, supplying 10 families with basic needs and other gifts. This year, he and his fiancé, Nicole, began supporting Schools on Wheels, an organization that provides academic tutoring to children living in shelters, motels, cars, foster homes and those without homes, and purchased suites and catering for those kids so that they were able to experience games at Staples Center for the first time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I find it impressive that Drew has done all that with, until now, no fanfare.

Seems like he does it low key and doesn't call for attention any time he does something charitable for the sake of publicity. He's a star who doesn't have to be in the spotlight, and he seems to take things in stride.

I know to some he may across as arrogant and brash, but he doesn't really care what others think of him, he shoots from the hip, and he's a fiery competitor.

Take a look at what Quick had to say about Drew.

Quick exit interview transcript, video - LA Kings Insider
On what it’s like having Drew Doughty playing in front of him:
I mean, he’s the best at what he does. I think the way he thinks the game is his biggest strength and the ability to make plays under pressure, you know it helps us get out of the zone. I mean, every time he’s out there, he’s always helping his partner, helping me, helping the forwards, so from my standpoint, his ability to help get pucks out of the zone and get into the offensive zone is something that helps me a lot.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Seems like he does it low key and doesn't call for attention any time he does something charitable for the sake of publicity. He's a star who doesn't have to be in the spotlight, and he seems to take things in stride.

I know to some he may across as arrogant and brash, but he doesn't really care what others think of him, he shoots from the hip, and he's a fiery competitor.

I mean, he’s the best at what he does. I think the way he thinks the game is his biggest strength and the ability to make plays under pressure, you know it helps us get out of the zone. I mean, every time he’s out there, he’s always helping his partner, helping me, helping the forwards, so from my standpoint, his ability to help get pucks out of the zone and get into the offensive zone is something that helps me a lot.

I wish we could get the "after a couple of pops" version. :D

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Doughty does everything Quick says he does. The question is what is that worth in the context of a team, which needs to add depth throughout the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad