GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly)19 and 20

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Massive win for Leicester.

Big chance for Chelsea on the weekend against Liverpool now as well.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Missed penalty, brutal miss by Mane and too many missed headers to count. Not ready to jump out the window because of dropped points at a top six and a best of the rest during the festive fixtures.

If they lose at Stamford Bridge after dropping points at Anfield against 10-man Chelsea, then I will probably be ready to ship the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What a horrific display of finishing today.

Leicester do nothing, get their goal on their only good chance against the run of play, and take the points. That’s footie.

that was the recipe though. loud crowd, MOTM performance from the keeper and a bit of luck. Oh well. That’s what happens when you let a team off the hook

Reactions: Rob

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This but about Chelsea instead of Liverpool and "score not enough" instead of "concede too many"
In fairness, Liverpool and Chelsea are on pace for 82 points. There was a time where it would be a two horse race between teams with those totals.

A club with literally limitless funds has created a league where you need 30 wins to enter the conversation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
In fairness, Liverpool and Chelsea are on pace for 82 points. There was a time where it would be a two horse race between teams with those totals.

A club with literally limitless funds has created a league where you need 30 wins to enter the conversation.
Kind of mad when there are three teams better than any team that Ferguson ever had and two won’t win the league. And and least one of them may not win any silverware.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kind of mad when there are three teams better than any team that Ferguson ever had and two won’t win the league. And and least one of them may not win any silverware.
That's the state you're in when you have a team that's already the best on paper and they sign a talent like Jack Grealish to come off the bench just because they can. And that's just one example. They'll get one of Kane or Haaland eventually too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

f*** this sport sometimes.

Granted, the second half was disappointing from Liverpool but still. Game should have been dusted at halftime.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

f*** this sport sometimes.

Granted, the second half was disappointing from Liverpool but still. Game should have been dusted at halftime.

How much of that 2.42 was from the penalty though? A penalty is usually close to 1 xG, and the follow up chance would also be rated pretty high.

Liverpool definitely had the better chances though, a few huge saves from Schmeichel and that terrible Mane shot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How much of that 2.42 was from the penalty though? A penalty is usually close to 1 xG, and the follow up chance would also be rated pretty high.

Liverpool definitely had the better chances though, a few huge saves from Schmeichel and that terrible Mane shot.
I'm honestly not sure if this account counts penalties. They do on and off and I don't know what they're on now.

That being said, 2.42 even without the penalty? I would believe it. The save on Virgil, the save on Salah, Mane missing the Grand Canyon somehow, the crossbar following the penalty.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm honestly not sure if this account counts penalties. They do on and off and I don't know what they're on now.

That being said, 2.42 even without the penalty? I would believe it. The save on Virgil, the save on Salah, Mane missing the Grand Canyon somehow, the crossbar following the penalty.
Understat has the game at 2.73-0.62 with the penalty attempt with 1.83 xGs all from the penalty play.

Leicester 1 - 0 Liverpool (December 28 2021) | EPL | 2021/2022 | xG | Understat.com

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't get me wrong, we've also made our own bed this year.

You can chalk this one up to "deserved better, that's football" but the table looks a lot better if we didn't drop six points to Brentford, Brighton, and Tottenham because we literally just forgot to play defense.

We needed to shore up defensively to win trophies and now we need to do it again.

Virgil making spectacular stops 1v2 evidently isn't keeping teams off the board anymore.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
skysports-leicester-city-getty_5627696.jpg

Reactions: PanniniClaus

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Impressive. Kinda of funny the tweet author rates it higher than going invincible
Yeah that’s ridiculous (invincible season should be rated higher than everything else in football) but it’s a very cool achievment. The 2001-02 team were not far off 03/04 Arsenal at all.

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't get me wrong, we've also made our own bed this year.

You can chalk this one up to "deserved better, that's football" but the table looks a lot better if we didn't drop six points to Brentford, Brighton, and Tottenham because we literally just forgot to play defense.

We needed to shore up defensively to win trophies and now we need to do it again.

Virgil making spectacular stops 1v2 evidently isn't keeping teams off the board anymore.
Need another defense first midfielder. Not necessarily a stopper like Fabinho but definitely someone that can play next to him (and cover in a pinch). They need more help putting out those fires.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad