GWT: PL Matchweek Jan 18-24

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I brought the other 3 as a proof of what other CB do. And YOU brought up Varane :facepalm:
Varane is ONE year older than Laporte. How can anyone compare the 2?
… and that’s great for the other 3 cbs next time you praise a player I’ll just bring up Messi.

i brought up Varane in jest considering I was the buffoon who drafted him over Laporte lol. Take the win that france has enough cbs to supply the rest of europe. Any praise for Laporte doesn’t take away from any other players success. Yeeeeesh

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Did I say it took away? Where did you see any of that?
DD never played Laporte and I'm happy to see it. There are better players out there.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Did I say it took away? Where did you see any of that?
DD never played Laporte and I'm happy to see it. There are better players out there.
Because you mentioned them when I praised laporte lol.

Good for DD and Spain and Laporte I suppose.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Doesn't mean I "take away". I was merely making a technical point.
Yes good for Spain. They can't seem to develop CBs.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn't mean I "take away". I was merely making a technical point.
Yes good for Spain. They can't seem to develop CBs.
No you called him overrated which you still can’t prove. Torres, ramos, and pique disagree but who cares

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Both are overrated AF
Stones clear

One thing that amazes me about the narrative on city is that most of their players are overrated. KDB, laporte, Dias, rodri, ederson, cancelo, etc yet they win and let in the least amount of goals, score the most and pep is also overrated. Guys pick a lane lol.

Reactions: les Habs and koyvoo

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Weird, everybody at City, from manager to players seems to be overrated, and product of...well, something. Yet they are clearly ahead of everyone else in the table. Oh well.

Reactions: les Habs

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Weird, everybody at City, from manager to players seems to be overrated, and product of...well, something. Yet they are clearly ahead of everyone else in the table. Oh well.
I still can’t like posts so quoting this and it should be plastered on every epl thread.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Stones clear

One thing that amazes me about the narrative on city is that most of their players are overrated. KDB, laporte, Dias, rodri, ederson, cancelo, etc yet they win and let in the least amount of goals, score the most and pep is also overrated. Guys pick a lane lol.
Only the CBs are overrated. You can throw Stones in there too. That’s my lane.

City are the best team money can buy. There isn’t a ton of overrating. They buy well but they buy at the top of the food chain. They aren’t exactly geniuses. They buy the best and they expect the best.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Only the CBs are overrated. You can throw Stones in there too. That’s my lane.

City are the best team money can buy. There isn’t a ton of overrating. They buy well but they buy at the top of the food chain. They aren’t exactly geniuses. They buy the best and they expect the best.
Yup and LFC has 15 top 5 CBs yet when VVD went down that whole defensive line collapsed.

Amazing yet you have the most expensive keeper in the world and most expensive CB(maguire doesn't count he's basically not a footballer). Rodri, KDB, Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Laporte, and Gundogen these were considered the top of the food chain when they bought them? lol No one is going to mistake City as an academy team and there's lots to be annoyed with them but no need to make shit up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yup and LFC has 15 top 5 CBs yet when VVD went down that whole defensive line collapsed.

Amazing yet you have the most expensive keeper in the world and most expensive CB(maguire doesn't count he's basically not a footballer). Rodri, KDB, Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Laporte, and Gundogen these were considered the top of the food chain when they bought them? lol No one is going to mistake City as an academy team and there's lots to be annoyed with them but no need to make shit up.
Whose talking about LFC here? Things collapsed when VVD went down because LFC didn’t have another 80 million Euro CB laying around for a rainy day like City do. Also no one attacks City anyway. City have 68m 65m 55.6m and 45.3m CBs right now. They also have spent 90m combined on Otamendi and Mangala.

Liverpool’s second most expensive CB is less than all of that, and didn’t come until this summer. When I said Top of the food chain I meant they are able to shop at the top of the market. KDB (and cost 76m) and Gundogan went to City as the top midfielders in the Bundesliga/the world. Laporte was one of the top defenders in La Liga, (and was LFC’s backup plan to Virgil. Rodri cost 62.7m. Ederson is the 4th most expensive keeper transfer ever. These aren’t exactly hidden gems.

Liverpool spent on Virgil and Alisson and others, but had to lose Coutinho to finance it. LFC are a net spend team. City are not. But I’m not even trying to talk about LFC. I’m saying City’s CB are overrated and I stand by it. They don’t get attacked. Dias is no where near the level he was at last year and most of Laporte highlights are him going forward. Stones is Stones. He is mid. Southampton has relative success (compared to the rest of the bottom half of the table teams) against City because they actually press them.

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

City still bought a lot of those players at very high prices. Being able to trigger a £62.6 million release clause to take a risk on a player like Rodri is a huge advantage.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn’t matter how you got your money you had it and you bought the top of the food chain. The ref of your post I skimmed through becuase it’s extremely biased and not worth my time to read. I’ll just say I mentioned lfc because at some point here lfc had multiple top 5 cbs according to you lot. So if you want to talk about overrated maybe start there. City players are underrated for the most part because they have no fans and not a single regular poster here likes them particularly.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
City still bought a lot of those players at very high prices. Being able to trigger a £62.6 million release clause to take a risk on a player like Rodri is a huge advantage.
Rodri gets trashed on here regularly and even claimed he wasn’t a starter like a season ago. The comment he made was wrong and he got called out for it. City spend a boat load no argues against this but they hardly spend it on sure fire players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Doesn’t matter how you got your money you had it and you bought the top of the food chain. The ref of your post I skimmed through becuase it’s extremely biased and not worth my time to read. I’ll just say I mentioned lfc because at some point here lfc had multiple top 5 cbs according to you lot. So if you want to talk about overrated maybe start there. City players are underrated for the most part because they have no fans and not a single regular poster here likes them particularly.
Sure it matters. City can buy who they want when they want. LFC cannot buy without selling. There is a big difference there.

No bias in more of the post. Just facts and euro dollar figures. If you can find where I said LFC had multiple top five CBs (in the PL yes. In the world no), feel free to produce it. Can’t comment on anyone else though. Don’t think anyone is saying that right now. The only joke is people saying Dias is Virgil level. That was a completely ridiculous narrative from the jump, but again no one is saying it this season because Dias is down.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rodri gets trashed on here regularly and even claimed he wasn’t a starter like a season ago. The comment he made was wrong and he got called out for it. City spend a boat load no argues against this but they hardly spend it on sure fire players.
Rodri has definitely been good. He did take a while to adjust (same a Fabinho) but he’s gotten better every year for sure. Still can make a brain fart every now and then but same goes for most.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure it matters. City can buy who they want when they want. LFC cannot buy without selling. There is a big difference there.

No bias in more of the post. Just facts and euro dollar figures. If you can find where I said LFC had multiple top five CBs (in the PL yes. In the world no), feel free to produce it. Can’t comment on anyone else though. Don’t think anyone is saying that right now. The only joke is people saying Dias is Virgil level. That was a completely ridiculous narrative from the jump, but again no one is saying it this season because Dias is down.

But what does that have to do with city buying at the top of the food chain when they clearly dont based on the list I gave you at the time none of those players were considered the best of the best. Yet LFC bought the most expensive keeper and CB.

It was well documented with Matip and Gomez feel free to read your own fan base's posts.

Rodri has definitely been good. He did take a while to adjust (same a Fabinho) but he’s gotten better every year for sure. Still can make a brain fart every now and then but same goes for most.

Cant say I disagree. Either way his talent was fairly obvious from the start, 2 mins of watching at Villareal you knew he was the goods.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But what does that have to do with city buying at the top of the food chain when they clearly dont based on the list I gave you at the time none of those players were considered the best of the best. Yet LFC bought the most expensive keeper and CB.

It was well documented with Matip and Gomez feel free to read your own fan base's posts.

Cant say I disagree. Either way his talent was fairly obvious from the start, 2 mins of watching at Villareal you knew he was the goods.
I mean I can’t comment on my own base base. LFC at their best have had multiple top five in PL. not across the world though. I think that’s fair. I don’t know how you can read that list and think it’s not top of the food chain. That’s the wrong interpretation. Certainly at the time they were bought as well. It’s matters because City can buy without sacrificing talent. And City can break a transfer record for a player, have them bust and it not effect things at all. Few other teams in the world have that luxury.

see attached for some numbers. City have broken the transfer record for a player at their position 8 times. They’ve done it top three 16 times.

LFC doing it twice when they had to make one of the biggest sales of all time in order to finance it isn’t exactly a Gotcha.

Attachments

• BF6BAC11-1394-4966-9739-A5449946CB9B.jpeg
    BF6BAC11-1394-4966-9739-A5449946CB9B.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Stones clear

Who said Pep was overrated? He's the core of this team. Those defensemen are overrated because as you can see when they're not playing for City, they often struggle outside a defensive system. Because keeping the ball for 70 minutes IS a defensive system that shadows the individual deficiencies.
And nobody rates Ederson, so not sure what you mean.

Reactions: Savant

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If it makes you feel any better, most Liverpool players are overrated AF as well.
That comes with the territory when a coach makes a team overachieve. Pep and Klopp do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad