GWT: PL Matchweek around New Years

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Saka has 43 G/A in his career for Arsenal. Sancho had 76 the last two seasons.
Saka is younger and played wingback for much of his career. Also in this season and last, Sancho has 39 G/A. Saka has 28 while playing wingback for many of those games. In this season alone, when both players are playing in the same league on similarly statured teams, Sancho has 2 Gs and 0 As while Saka has 7 and 4

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saka is younger and played wingback for much of his career. Also in this season and last, Sancho has 39 G/A. Saka has 28 while playing wingback for many of those games. In this season alone, when both players are playing in the same league on similarly statured teams, Sancho has 2 Gs and 0 As while Saka has 7 and 4

My post referred to Sancho before United. I don’t see how what he’s done at United is relevant to that. The rest doesn’t make Saka better. A bunch of excuses. Some valid, but Sancho prior to United is a much higher level than Saka has ever played at.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
My post referred to Sancho before United. I don’t see how what he’s done at United is relevant to that. The rest doesn’t make Saka better. A bunch of excuses. Some valid, but Sancho prior to United is a much higher level than Saka has ever played at.
You said Saka isn't half the player that Sancho is.

I guess if you ignore a chunk of his career and the only time you can make like to like comparisons, sure. There aren't any excuses there, other than the simple fact that Saka was playing wingback. If you think that's making excuses for not scoring more, I'd love to hear you explain to me how, for instance, Steffen Tigges is a better footballer than Virgil van Dijk

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I wouldn’t call out Sancho just yet. He can still turn his career around. But if we are to compare him with Saka he isn’t going in the right direction now while Saka clearly makes progress every season.

It could still be the fact that he’s only 21 and at that age players tend to have rough periods. Or he just isn’t good enough for the Prem. We don’t know yet.

United will probably get a new manager for the next season so that is about it. That will be the third manager he’ll play under at the club and if he still can’t show something then it’s on the player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You said Saka isn't half the player that Sancho is.

I guess if you ignore a chunk of his career and the only time you can make like to like comparisons, sure. There aren't any excuses there, other than the simple fact that Saka was playing wingback. If you think that's making excuses for not scoring more, I'd love to hear you explain to me how, for instance, Steffen Tigges is a better footballer than Virgil van Dijk

I think it’s pretty clear what I meant. Sancho without whatever he’s become at United is two times the player that Saka is. Maybe you misinterpreted what I meant.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Saka has also had to battle through the biggest Arsenal tire fire of my life the past couple of seasons. He basically put the team on his back and carried them as far as he could during a heavy period of transition.

Sancho's early career was better and his numbers have shown that. That being said he played in a more advanced position and was playing under far better circumstances.

Edit: I want to add that I'm a fan of Sancho and think he will become a great player over his career. Right now though, Saka is clear for me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t call out Sancho just yet. He can still turn his career around. But if we are to compare him with Saka he isn’t going in the right direction now while Saka clearly makes progress every season.

It could still be the fact that he’s only 21 and at that age players tend to have rough periods. Or he just isn’t good enough for the Prem. We don’t know yet.

United will probably get a new manager for the next season so that is about it. That will be the third manager he’ll play under at the club and if he still can’t show something then it’s on the player.

Isn’t good enough for the Premier League? Why is that the go to? Are all these players and managers at that club not good enough for the Premier League or maybe the club should take some responsibility?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think it’s pretty clear what I meant. Sancho without whatever he’s become at United is two times the player that Saka is. Maybe you misinterpreted what I meant.
If you only look at the games Saka scores or assists in and only look at the games Messi doesn't score or assist in, using G/A numbers, Saka is clearly the better player.

Anyone that argues with that is wrong.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Isn’t good enough for the Premier League? Why is that the go to? Are all these players and managers at that club not good enough for the Premier League or maybe the club should take some responsibility?

Well he’s an englishman and it’s clearly the best league in the world so it would be in his interest to show everyone he can make it there. There are for sure others at United that has no business being at the club but that is another issue they will have to deal with.

Sancho so far in the EPL wouldn’t flourish at Norwich though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean it's not like production has been an issue for the guys at United. CR7, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani, and Greenwood have all been productive in the squad in the last ~2 years.

Reactions: Jussi

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pogba had more G+A in one half than Sancho during a half season. One is a MF, the other a winger.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Isn’t good enough for the Premier League? Why is that the go to?
It's way too early to claim he isn't good enough for the prem. 21-year-olds have slow starts and I think Sancho deserves some grace for joining United at one of their worse points in decades. I think he turns it around.

That being said his play and stats do not scream Premier league beater and I get why people are on him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I'm not a fan of either United or Arsenal so don't have any bias, this statement is just plain wrong and almost ridiculous. Not sure if you're vastly overratting Sancho or greatly underestimating Saka but I don't see the world of difference you do. Saka biggest issue before this season was his consistency which he has eliminated while Sancho used to be consistent but is now unreliable. Going forward I think Arsenal system is set up better for Saka to shine, while Sancho will struggle in how United want to play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean it's not like production has been an issue for the guys at United. CR7, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani, and Greenwood have all been productive in the squad in the last ~2 years.

Pogba great at Juventus. Not so much at United. Mourinho great at Chelsea. Not so much at United. Is Van de Beek only a reserve team level player? Now Sancho. Rangnick barely has started, but he has a good prior reputation and is struggling. Seems to be quite a few with a high profile that this has happened to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not a fan of either United or Arsenal so don't have any bias, this statement is just plain wrong and almost ridiculous. Not sure if you're vastly overratting Sancho or greatly underestimating Saka but I don't see the world of difference you do. Saka biggest issue before this season was his consistency which he has eliminated while Sancho used to be consistent but is now unreliable. Going forward I think Arsenal system is set up better for Saka to shine, while Sancho will struggle in how United want to play.

The way you frame it is pretty off. Sancho was a world class player prior to this season. Saka was a talented young player that hadn’t really produced yet.

Again, I’m not sure what this season or their current combined season’s caliber has to do with this discussion.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Pogba great at Juventus. Not so much at United. Mourinho great at Chelsea. Not so much at United. Is Van de Beek only a reserve team level player? Now Sancho. Rangnick barely has started, but he has a good prior reputation and is struggling. Seems to be quite a few with a high profile that this has happened to.
Lmao Mou is a great example, he's done incredible everywhere else past United. I'm not sure what's going on with Sancho right now, and he's better than he's shown. But to say it's 100% United is rich.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4