GWT: PL Matchweek 7

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I would say City are the best defensive team in the world. They are compact in pressing, well drilled as a unit and have world class defenders.
But that's not what you wrote. You talked about personnel.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
When he took the job they were a point behind Lyon, Lille took top of the table a month later. Their team does have a lot more talent than their opponents so I find that inexcusable not to win.

Them losing in the CL last year is really no big deal. They make the end, they lose, no judgments to be made, life goes on.

As for this season they were pretty fortunate not to lose to Brugge so it isn’t like them finishing first in their group is a guarantee. So they might finish second and have to do it the harder way. I’m just saying here. When it comes to top managers he is clearly below the top tier. Everyone knows that. So a lot of the games they play in the CL after these he will be facing his equals or managers better than him. A lot of the time that is not good.
I don't think everyone knows that. I think this year will tell us a lot about Poch.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It’s hard to argue any other team are better right now. All other top sides have significant weaknesses, but Manchester City and Liverpool don’t. Bayern are quite weak defensively, PSG have a poor press and their offensive patterns of play aren’t as effective as the ones Liverpool and City have, Real Madrid lack depth and good defenders, Atletico don’t create enough chances, and the top Serie A clubs have less high end talent.

How about the team ahead of both City and Liverpool?

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think everyone knows that. I think this year will tell us a lot about Poch.
Yup, its make it or break for Poch. I will say this people are expecting perfection from PSG when all things considered they have done well so far this season.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
How about the team ahead of both City and Liverpool?
Would be surprised if they finished above 4th because they have no creative players and a risk averse system that restricts their goals. To answer your question, they are strong defensively but not on the level of City. Mendy is the only goalkeeper/defender they have that start for City, imo. Maybe Silva. Systematically Chelsea are a top defensive unit, but not quite City level, I don’t think.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
PSG shouldn't be scared of any team. That's certainly true. Any team with Mbappe, Neymar and Messi, et al, should not be afraid. Nor should Bayern. They just won the CL, and have enough talent and depth to win any competition.

But I think Liverpool, having done it recently, would not be afraid at all. Especially if there's a leg at Anfield.

Neutral site, it's a coin flip.

As for the match yesterday, as long as City do not have a striker of any repute, and Sterling is still lost in the woods, I think Liverpool's 11 outclasses City by a fair bit when all is said and done and they're healthy. Pep knows that. I think he's happy for a draw, but the whole Milner thing, he clearly was hoping for the full three points and the space that would give them. Liverpool did not play well in the first half, and I think that was down to the ability in exploiting Milner and the trouble that caused. Liverpool were not able to attack, and get back coverage without exposing the flank. That sometimes occurs with TAA, but he's much more capable of going forward. I think Henderson was not at his best, and looked a bit tired. Makes sense.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As for Chelsea, they have a very deep squad, and likely should be considered as one of, if not the favorite for the EPL title.

I think that's especially the case as Lukaku is a notorious flat track bully. He alone is worth a number of points when Chelsea are playing poorly, and he's able to scrounge a goal against a Burnley or Palace at the end of the match. I don't know that Liverpool or City really have that right now (though admittedly, both teams have had late match luck in seasons they won).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
PSG can match Liverpool and City on raw talent, and their depth significantly improved this summer, but their attacking stars make it so hard to get the balance right. None of them play any defense, so you have to play 3 true midfielders, and play very specific tactics. It’s difficult for a manager to figure out. Bayern can score goals, but their defense turns on the inconsistent Upamecano. All the rest of their defense is weak for a top club, and Upamecano also often is. Their depth is also not the best. Chelsea can keep it close against any of these teams, but I don’t think Tuchel plays offensive enough to win a one-off more times than not against these top clubs.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Upa has been everything but inconsistent for Bayern.
He's been consistently excellent so far.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I would say that LFC fans will be happy with the point, City played them completely off the pitch in that first half as the away team that the game would've been over if they actually had a striker. Could've been three-nil by half-time IMO. I get all the Foden love by pundits, but his finishing was absolutely dreadful today.

E: Also no idea why or how Juve gave up on Cancelo. Brilliant player.

Lol, mate Romeo isn't even a starting CB for a mid-table club. I would pipe down with the poor judgement comments when you're clearly wrong. We can't even debate between Romeo vs White because one is a prime starter for one of the most popular clubs in the world and the other isn't even getting consistent playing time due to issues with his game.

Nobody goes down easier than Bruno and Mane IMHO. Both are extremely talented, but them along with Maddison gotta be the worst divers in the EPL.

Lewandowski is better. He sucks for the national team, but whenever I click on the stat sheet for Bayern he always normally has two goals per match.

Your knowledge of football is lamentable. Romero is a clear cut above as a player. Top defender in serie A last season, the difference when he is playing for Argentina and when he is absent from the centre of defence is palpable. Just becausee White has a large transfer fee and pops up at Liverpool does not equate to him being at the same level or future ceiling.

And as for Lewandowski that is nothing to do with him. That's the players he has around him for Poland. Who exactly is the equivalent of a Deyna or Kasperczak for example ?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, he hasn't been awful, but I don't know if ratings in the 6's for some of the matches is excellent. It is fair to say that it will take some time to gel. Admittedly, stats aren't everything, and I haven't watched every single minute of his matches, but there is some room for improvement.

Reactions: gary69

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s always a good idea to evaluate a player after 3 matches… always always.

luckily he has had success on multiple teams. Some that actually won something of relevance.

not surprised given the audience that suggests pep’s barca couldn’t do it in the epl when pep has had a better winning percentage (slightly) in the epl than he did in Spain. Not that our opinions matter. I’m content with how Argentinians perform on the NT if Spurs can’t find use for them. That’s on them.

furthermore, I’d much rather they pull a martinez than sticking it out. That worked wonders for Arsenal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I can't say I saw Romero play much in Italy, a few games here or there, but he would hardly be the first defender to have issues adapting to the PL. Way too early to say he won't adapt though since he was pretty good in Italy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I was talking about Upamecano who I admittedly know a bit more about. Though it's quite out of place discussion wise admittedly in an EPL weekly game thread.

Though, my knowledge is not that vast on either player.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I can't say I saw Romero play much in Italy, a few games here or there, but he would hardly be the first defender to have issues adapting to the PL. Way too early to say he won't adapt though since he was pretty good in Italy.
No one has argued against that. All I said is that White has been better so far.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Watching the highlights of the City - Pool game again and all I can think is Pep should have bought a striker. Could have scored multiple times in the first half if they had any kind of clinical #9.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I think that was the plan. But when Spurs wouldn't play ball, I think they didn't have the time to go get one.

Pep likely also said, screw it, I don't need it, and can do it without it.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Watching the highlights of the City - Pool game again and all I can think is Pep should have bought a striker. Could have scored multiple times in the first half if they had any kind of clinical #9.

Better to spend 29472929 millions on Jack Grealish.
Those legs, though

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I almost forgot, but Atletico should also be mentioned with the favorites. With their roster + coach they will always be a threat to get big results.
They are set up great to win over a full season and in knockout style competitions. I'd definitely be worried about them if I had a team in the CL lol

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They are set up great to win over a full season and in knockout style competitions. I'd definitely be worried about them if I had a team in the CL lol
Simeone will find a way to get knocked out by a much worse side. Usually by playing ultra conservative.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Shocking lack of Chelsea discussion in this whole "who are the best teams in the world" chat, given that they beat City in a UCL Final while limiting them to a single half chance and very likely would've won at Anfield if not for a red card a few weeks back.

I almost forgot, but Atletico should also be mentioned with the favorites. With their roster + coach they will always be a threat to get big results.

They've been dire in the UCL the last few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad