GWT: PL Matchweek 7

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Your knowledge of football is lamentable. Romero is a clear cut above as a player. Top defender in serie A last season, the difference when he is playing for Argentina and when he is absent from the centre of defence is palpable. Just becausee White has a large transfer fee and pops up at Liverpool does not equate to him being at the same level or future ceiling.
No AB is still right on this topic. Like I wrote before, nobody can debate on the topic of White versus Romero when one is already a top-calibre CB playing a prime role on his club and the other is an afterthought to come on as a sub. Spurs not starting him as a CB in the London derby already describes what the organisation and Santo thinks of him and I write this not being the biggest fan of White myself.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No AB is still right on this topic. Like I wrote before, nobody can debate on the topic of White versus Romero when one is already a top-calibre CB playing a prime role on his club and the other is an afterthought to come on as a sub. Spurs not starting him as a CB in the London derby already describes what the organisation and Santo thinks of him and I write this not being the biggest fan of White myself.

He didn't start cause he went on international break and quarantined for ten days lmao. So he had to go back into training after that. If you've ever watched Atalanta play more than a few games and you think White is better you're nuts. And Nuno isn't an authority on anything. This isn't White bashing either. Romero is really good.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Imagine taking Nuno's opinion as gospel :laugh:

Supposedly he also had Ruben Semedo lined up to join Wolves before he left. So yeah, really good judgment that guy.

Also look at some of the other players they spent a ton of money on. He also had a lot of say there while at Tottenham he seems to clearly have very little.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think Athleti are that great this season. They can beat anyone in a one-off game. So could Chelsea, but this is a discussion of the best teams in the world. Liverpool and Man City would beat everyone else in a best of 7.

I’d rank them for now

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. PSG
4. Bayern
5. Chelsea

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I was talking about Upamecano who I admittedly know a bit more about. Though it's quite out of place discussion wise admittedly in an EPL weekly game thread.

Though, my knowledge is not that vast on either player.

Yeah, Upamecano was all over the place in Bayern's defeat against Frankfurt, lots of mistakes, poor tackles and positioning. Kicker gave him the worst rating (5) of any players from the match. Trapp got the best possible rating (1) as he made a string of great saves.

Trapp lässt die Bayern verzweifeln, Kostic schießt Frankfurt zum Sieg

I wouldn't put too much stock how teams look right now. When the WC qualification and CL group stages are over, teams will start to look much better for the last few months of the season.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I don’t think Athleti are that great this season. They can beat anyone in a one-off game. So could Chelsea, but this is a discussion of the best teams in the world. Liverpool and Man City would beat everyone else in a best of 7.

I’d rank them for now

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. PSG
4. Bayern
5. Chelsea

Under Tuchel the series between Chelsea and City is 3-1, so I don't see why this is conclusive.

Reactions: Blender

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Under Tuchel the series between Chelsea and City is 3-1, so I don't see why this is conclusive.

But I’m not talking about one team having the number of another. That’s always possible in sports. I’m talking about betting odds of who’d be favored, and it’d be the better team, not the one with the better record over the other in a short span.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
But I’m not talking about one team having the number of another. That’s always possible in sports. I’m talking about betting odds of who’d be favored, and it’d be the better team, not the one with the better record over the other in a short span.
Chelsea have a good chance at the CL because their system keeps every game close. However, that is also true of their system against smaller teams and underdogs. They don’t reliably create chances outside of counters and wing play, so compact blocks will always cause them trouble. They don’t have enough firepower to challenge for the PL either. United, City and Liverpool obviously have way way more offensive talent. So they can win the CL, but not finish top 3 or at least top 2 in the PL.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chelsea have a good chance at the CL because their system keeps every game close. However, that is also true of their system against smaller teams and underdogs. They don’t reliably create chances outside of counters and wing play, so compact blocks will always cause them trouble. They don’t have enough firepower to challenge for the PL either. United, City and Liverpool obviously have way way more offensive talent. So they can win the CL, but not finish top 3 or at least top 2 in the PL.

I don’t think Chelsea’s attacking talent is the problem. I think it’s how they use it. They play with 2 attacking players. That’s not going to lead to many chances or goals compared to the other top teams. I think their defensive talent is a lot more suspect than their offensive talent. The reason Tuchel plays this way is in large part due to that Chelsea’s back line individually isn’t that good. None of those guys, aside from maybe James or Chilwell get anywhere near the lineup of the other top four teams.

Reactions: gary69

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I'll just leave this here. I did finally see the highlights and regarding the goal much ado about nothing. Cuti is always going after those tackles to nib attacks in the bud and he gets them regularly. Sometimes he miss times them and that could happen. However, he its not an Otemandi type of rash tackle. His are cumulated it also makes him vulnerable for yellows but again its his bread and butter. Lloris and Dier are early to blame the ball was in the 6 yard box both have to aggressive in getting to it first. As a keeper you are told that the 6 yard box it is yours.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I'll just leave this here. I did finally see the highlights and regarding the goal much ado about nothing. Cuti is always going after those tackles to nib attacks in the bud and he gets them regularly. Sometimes he miss times them and that could happen. However, he its not an Otemandi type of rash tackle. His are cumulated it also makes him vulnerable for yellows but again its his bread and butter. Lloris and Dier are early to blame the ball was in the 6 yard box both have to aggressive in getting to it first. As a keeper you are told that the 6 yard box it is yours.

I was quick to blame him for the goal against, but in hindsight I think Dier is absolutely more at fault. Wouldn't blame Lloris though.

Apart from that he was pretty dominant. Wish he had a steadier presence next to him though.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
99% agree with D2M on this one (got to be a first) - the 1% would be blaming Lloris (partly) for the goal. Romero isn't fault free as he misses the tackle, but that has to be close to 90% on Dier. Absolutely ridiculous that Dier isn't covering space or the man. As soon as Romero is out of the play Dier should make sure there is no cross possible on the "inside" of him - sacrificing the space around the penalty spot.

And anyone who has watched Spurs regularly the last 3-4 years or so (since Dier went more or less full time at CD) - know that he will do these kinds of mistakes over and over again. If Romero and Dier had switched places in that situation Romero will just cut that cross off conceding a corner. Even White would probably be able to do that.

Romero was very good against Villa. And if Nuno would just play anyone else than Dier I think we will look OK for the CDs.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
And anyone who has watched Spurs regularly the last 3-4 years or so (since Dier went more or less full time at CD) - know that he will do these kinds of mistakes over and over again. If Romero and Dier had switched places in that situation Romero will just cut that cross off conceding a corner. Even White would probably be able to do that.
The England International known for great defensive positioning and awareness? Yeah, I don't think there would be a problem there in the slightest.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
To give them some more credit, Rudiger has had a solid start to the season.
Rudiger and Christensen have both been great under Tuchel. Christensen was great with Denmark as well. Thiago Silva is old but still pretty good, really good for his age really. Azpilicueta is who he's always been, stick him anywhere on the back line and he puts in a good performance.

Reactions: robertmac43

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think anyone is disrespecting Chelsea. It would be foolish when they're at the top of the table. However, they were handily beaten by City. At the same time, I don't think it's unfair to say that Liverpool's best 11 is probably better than Chelsea's. I also don't think it's unfair to say that I like City's depth, manager and overall group more than I like Chelsea's. I also don't know that there's a lot of comparison with the backlines between Chelsea and either of Liverpool's or City's. It's also not unfair to say that in all likelihood, the two best teams in England right now, played on Sunday. I think Liverpool up front, and in the backline, are significantly better than Chelsea.

Yet, Chelsea have to be considered in both the title and the CL. I don't think a side with a fully functioning Kante should be underestimated. In any one off match, they're going to be in the match because they do have some really great players.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don’t think Chelsea’s attacking talent is the problem. I think it’s how they use it. They play with 2 attacking players. That’s not going to lead to many chances or goals compared to the other top teams. I think their defensive talent is a lot more suspect than their offensive talent. The reason Tuchel plays this way is in large part due to that Chelsea’s back line individually isn’t that good. None of those guys, aside from maybe James or Chilwell get anywhere near the lineup of the other top four teams.
I agree with this assesment. The main reason the attack is limited is the system, but not really the only playing two attacking players part.. Tuchel a bit too obsessed with rigid positional play and spacing the pitch evenly in 5 horizontal zones, while also having very risk averse possession schemes. He avoids the center of the pitch too much and really thinks it’s best to ”keep the ball in safe areas so you don’t lose it”. He’s not similar tactically to how he was at Dortmund. Is that partly because Chelsea don’t have a particularly great squad while lacking reliable defenders? Probably yes.

Mendy, Lukaku and Kante are the only Chelsea players that start for Liverpool or City. Aldo not sure about the Lukaku part. Maybe Silva could get in over Laporte/Stones.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rudiger and Christensen have both been great under Tuchel. Christensen was great with Denmark as well. Thiago Silva is old but still pretty good, really good for his age really. Azpilicueta is who he's always been, stick him anywhere on the back line and he puts in a good performance.

I'm happy to hear that. Still disappointed that Christensen didn't stay in gladbach for longer, but I'm glad he's finally thriving for Chelsea.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree @AB13, but Tuchel has played very conservative in big games everywhere he’s coached.

What's most disappointing is that that was only after getting burned by Pep the first times you faced off with them. After that, he over-corrected and has gotten progressively less & less courageous/creative...but before getting Pep'd, he seemed to be well on his way to becoming the coach that Nagelsmann has actually grown into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad