GWT: PL Matchweek 7

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Lol, mate Romeo isn't even a starting CB for a mid-table club. I would pipe down with the poor judgement comments when you're clearly wrong. We can't even debate between Romeo vs White because one is a prime starter for one of the most popular clubs in the world and the other isn't even getting consistent playing time due to issues with his game.

What issues?

Nuno is a bit of a savant for not playing him more, however him missing games due to his Argentina callup didn't help either.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Ah EPL fans..
It’s hard to argue any other team are better right now. All other top sides have significant weaknesses, but Manchester City and Liverpool don’t. Bayern are quite weak defensively, PSG have a poor press and their offensive patterns of play aren’t as effective as the ones Liverpool and City have, Real Madrid lack depth and good defenders, Atletico don’t create enough chances, and the top Serie A clubs have less high end talent.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I usually stay away from talking down on other leagues, despite watching mostly the PL. However I agree with Savant and don't think it's too controversial at all.

If we're talking about talent on paper, then yes, PSG win.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It’s hard to argue any other team are better right now. All other top sides have significant weaknesses, but Manchester City and Liverpool don’t. Bayern are quite weak defensively, PSG have a poor press and their offensive patterns of play aren’t as effective as the ones Liverpool and City have, Real Madrid lack depth and good defenders, Atletico don’t create enough chances, and the top Serie A clubs have less high end talent.
Hard to argue?
City JUST lost to PSG. Bayern is rolling over everyone.
Yes, it's easy to argue.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I usually stay away from talking down on other leagues, despite watching mostly the PL. However I agree with Savant and don't think it's too controversial at all.

If we're talking about talent on paper, then yes, PSG win.
Again, City JUST lost 5 days ago to a team outside the EPL. And Bayern would clearly give both of these teams a run for their money.

But hey, I heard it was the best game of the weekend even though it wasn't even the best game of the day.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Hard to argue?
City JUST lost to PSG. Bayern is rolling over everyone.
Yes, it's easy to argue.
One Manchester City-PSG game doesn’t change my view. City have clearly had a more convincing season so far with regular top performances. They also dominated the PSG game, and lost it on small margins. I can see the argument for Bayern, but I do think the best teams can tear them apart on the counter like PSG did last season. They don’t have particularly great center backs and Kimmich + Goretzka are not good enough defensively against top teams.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp has humiliated Nagelsmann four times already since Nagelsmann made some insane comments a few years ago so I would very much like to play a team managed by him again.

To say nothing of how Klopp repeatedly humiliated Poch. The manager is the biggest part of the team after all. Those two started on equal footing it should be pointed out and look how it went when they were in the same league. Frankly with Poch they won’t win any CL. Doesn’t matter what players they have. And what happens if PSG and Bayern draw each other early on? Nobody can possibly know these things.

Liverpool rightly shouldn’t be scared of any team unless their keepers dad dies before the game and he can’t play right.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh I'm a huge fan of Nagelsmann. I just think the sample size at Bayern isn't big enough yet.

Yeah, his team plays good. But supercups aren’t real games and the best team they’ve played so far this season is Barcelona, who would struggle massively to qualify for CL in any top five league.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
To say nothing of how Klopp repeatedly humiliated Poch. The manager is the biggest part of the team after all. Those two started on equal footing it should be pointed out and look how it went when they were in the same league. Frankly with Poch they won’t win any CL. Doesn’t matter what players they have.

Liverpool in general have always been a bogey team for Spurs. I do remember that 4-1 win at Wembley four years ago very vividly though.

Think you're being very harsh on Poch tbh.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
One Manchester City-PSG game doesn’t change my view. City have clearly had a more convincing season so far with regular top performances. They also dominated the PSG game, and lost it on small margins. I can see the argument for Bayern, but I do think the best teams can tear them apart on the counter like PSG did last season. They don’t have particularly great center backs and Kimmich + Goretzka are not good enough defensively against top teams.
Yeah City doesn't have a great defense either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also, these international breaks suck because they can completely derail a season with one moment of bad luck. And the team can’t even fix it. They should have the breaks during the summer window + early September + January so that teams can replace players. Quality of international football would be better too with players in camp for longer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Klopp has humiliated Nagelsmann four times already since Nagelsmann made some insane comments a few years ago so I would very much like to play a team managed by him again.

To say nothing of how Klopp repeatedly humiliated Poch. The manager is the biggest part of the team after all. Those two started on equal footing it should be pointed out and look how it went when they were in the same league. Frankly with Poch they won’t win any CL. Doesn’t matter what players they have. And what happens if PSG and Bayern draw each other early on? Nobody can possibly know these things.

Liverpool rightly shouldn’t be scared of any team unless their keepers dad dies before the game and he can’t play right.
Good, and PSG and Bayern can also fear 0 team.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah City doesn't have a great defense either.
I would say City are the best defensive team in the world. They are compact in pressing, well drilled as a unit and have world class defenders.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
There is no doubt in my mind that Klopp is better than Pochettino, but Klopp never humiliated Pochettino. Over the years those games were mostly fairly close - Liverpool never winning with more than 2 goals in any of them (which they did twice - one being the CL final) and Spurs beating Liverpool 4-1 once (a bit random with Lovren being completely off his game). Quite a few draws in between - especially the years Spurs were good under Pochettino.

Spurs basically never win at Anfield Pochettino or not - Klopp or not. Obviously Spurs are not the only team not to win there, but it is a bit odd that you don't even get a random win now and then away. Last time was 2011 or something? Even when Spurs were consistently above Liverpool in the league they just could never beat them at Anfield.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool in general have always been a bogey team for Spurs. I do remember that 4-1 win at Wembley four years ago very vividly though.

Think you're being very harsh on Poch tbh.

When he took the job they were a point behind Lyon, Lille took top of the table a month later. Their team does have a lot more talent than their opponents so I find that inexcusable not to win.

Them losing in the CL last year is really no big deal. They make the end, they lose, no judgments to be made, life goes on.

As for this season they were pretty fortunate not to lose to Brugge so it isn’t like them finishing first in their group is a guarantee. So they might finish second and have to do it the harder way. I’m just saying here. When it comes to top managers he is clearly below the top tier. Everyone knows that. So a lot of the games they play in the CL after these he will be facing his equals or managers better than him. A lot of the time that is not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad