GWT: PL Matchweek 2

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think Wolves have something in Bruno Lage. Even if they lost both of their games, it was tight and they outplayed Spurs and Leicester for the most part. Their attack is letting them down though, with key players like Neto and Podence injured.

His Benfica looked fantastic too, until something seemed to happen behind the scenes.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To me they look quite similar to how they looked under Nuno at the end. Well organized (for the most part), but they aren't good enough where it counts. Good enough as in among the top teams, but still a solid team.

Obviously for Nuno it was having to play Silva as a striker. A role he clearly wasn't ready for.

I'm not sure if it says much about Lage yet. Time will show. He took over a decent team who are solid - so changing a lot from day 1 wouldn't make any sense. Completely agree that getting Neto and Podence back will help. And if Jimenez can be 90% of the player he was - that will also be quite a boost from Silva last season.

Almost funny how lucky Spurs have been. City clearly struggled to be prepared that early. Same could be said for Spurs of course, but when teams not all that prepared meet then luck matters more than it will later in the season. Wolverhampton will be quite a different animal when they get healthy and Jimenez gets "match fit".

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Leicester is my squad and this is the worst 30 minutes I've seen Ndidi play. Tielemans is not looking great either. Much credit to West Ham for executing a really nice game plan so far.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Agree on Ndidi. Looks lost.

Love Moyes´ choice going for slim-fit.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
That's a bullshit red card usual garbage in this game's rulebook's inability to see the grey area. Like how is the guy supposed to react there in half a millisecond to change where his foot is coming down? Same garbage led to two crap red cards in the Euro knockouts including the one that knocked out Sweden.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The reason why it was a red is because of the last stride he took. The first 2-3 were clear stumbles, but the last one he takes a far more intentional stride (even if off balance) to win the ball.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess he is trying to step in front of Fornals, but there is no way he can really know where Fornals really is.

I remember I did something similar in training some years ago. Absolutely did not intend to stamp anyone, but ended up doing so.... doesn't change the fact that it is a red though.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
two weeks in......any serious issues with how the games are being called?
If they call it like this all year (they won't), the players can't be surprised. There were five or six challenges that would have been stone cold fouls last season.

But if the Klopp's and OGS's keep complaining, they'll get more strict again, but to be fair to the refs too, this is also an adjustment for them.

On the whole, as don't have a problem with it. That Fornals red by the way, Oliver was right there and didn't even bother calling a foul...that's way overboard.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
On the whole, as don't have a problem with it. That Fornals red by the way, Oliver was right there and didn't even bother calling a foul...that's way overboard.

I'm assuming Oliver missed the fact that he came down on his ankle and thought it was just a body check.

I guess he is trying to step in front of Fornals, but there is no way he can really know where Fornals really is.

I remember I did something similar in training some years ago. Absolutely did not intend to stamp anyone, but ended up doing so.... doesn't change the fact that it is a red though.

Yea I have no doubt it was accidental. Doesn't change anything about how reckless it is though. Thankfully no serious injury seems to have happened.

Reactions: al secord

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also with all the focus the refs are putting on letting chincy fouls go, I'd absolutely love to see them stop calling stuff where the guy with the ball uses some strength to shield off an opposition player, invites a bit of contact in the back, and then flops down when it comes.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Also with all the focus the refs are putting on letting chincy fouls go, I'd absolutely love to see them stop calling stuff where the guy with the ball uses some strength to shield off an opposition player, invites a bit of contact in the back, and then flops down when it comes.
After the succession of fouls they let go on Benrahma to call that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad