GWT: PL Matchweek 2

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Both Arsenal and Chelsea were struggling around the turn of the year and in very similar league positions in January (both around 8-10). Beating them 3-1 probably changed the course of both clubs. Chelsea fired Lampard and hired Tuchel. Arsenal stuck with Arteta. Today there was a gulf.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Both Arsenal and Chelsea were struggling around the turn of the year and in very similar league positions in January (both around 8-10). Beating them 3-1 probably changed the course of both clubs. Chelsea fired Lampard and hired Tuchel. Arsenal stuck with Arteta. Today there was a gulf.
Don't forget the corrupt referees.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
6-8 of the best players in that group are on Spurs or Leicester. If not more.

I think Leicester is a better team than the rest, but Spurs do have two of the best three or four players in that bunch, and that can make the difference.

if Dele Alli is all of a sudden realizing how to play football again, it could make a difference.

Reactions: Blender

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
After Kane and Sonny, I think there is a huge gap between them and the next player that plays for any of those teams. And that makes all the difference to me.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Some years ago. Today Son is a far far better player than Vardy.

On individual quality I don't see at all how Leicester are better than Spurs. But clearly they have been the better team for some time (it helps having central defenders who can defend).

Anyway. These discussions rarely lead to much.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven’t read the thread, but we really are Self Inflicted FC. This isn’t to take anything away from Chelsea’s performance, but Arsenal once again make it so effin’ easy for the opposing team to not only get chances, but get multiple goals that they might not have deserved. Again this isn’t supposed to take anything away from how Tuchel’s club played, but Arsenal made it so, so, so easy for them to score (case in point the first goal).

I thought we played pretty positive today and I don’t think the players were bad (except a few), but as every single commentator mentioned at least once either during the half or in the game…Arsenal just got carved open because the team committed too many players forward, idiots on the pitch, and nativity from the manager. Just look at the difference in the ball possession; Chelsea plays the ball back to Mendy to open up Arsenal and sucker them forward, whereas Arsenal plays the ball all the way back to Leno because nobody can break down the opposing formation in the box (where Leno probably miss plays a pass as well lol). This is the main take away point for me from this match.

One of the idiots on the pitch is Granit Xhaka where I’ve swayed back and forth on him, but I think this is the final straw for me. I want him off this club as soon as humanly possible and the reasons why is because there was one play in the second half where Chelsea was breaking on the counter. They had men running forward in prime positions and I see Pepe along with Smith-Rowe run all the way back from Chelsea’s box into Arsenal’s box and Xhaka - being in a midfield position further back - just jogs without a single care in the world. Not only does he just jog back, but he drifts towards the left when the ball was going direct in the middle of the park. Like seriously wtf? That’s your captain there lads and I lost so much respect for him from that play (not that I had a lot to begin with). I believe it was Lee Dixon who said this bloke has no sense or awareness of danger.

The other idiots are our CB pair, but this might be due to injuries than anything else. Holding is a back up CB at best and has always been one, while I’ve complained about Mari’s lack of athletic ability for anything. The problem and I wrote the EXACT same thing in preseason thread (against Chelsea again) is that Holding always f***ing chases the play because he got no IQ. He doesn’t realise you need to fall back at times, but the bloke just doesn’t get it. In that first half alone I saw like six times he was chasing the play back because he found himself too forward or in no man’s land like it was WWI. Not sure what game plan Mari was playing because he personally destroyed the defensive formation as he kept trying to play in Lukaku’s shadow (which he didn’t even do a good job with with the first goal). That might’ve been Arteta though so not going to entirely blame him.

Some other aspects I witnessed is that Martinelli isn’t a striker at all, he’s way more dangerous and comfortable playing off one of the flanks. When Auba came on, they both had a great chance right away, which strictly came from Martinelli dribbling off the side and seeing Auba in the middle. Cedric wasn’t too bad and Lokonga looks like he’s going to be a fantastic player. In both games, for me, he has already suppressed Xhaka to the bench, but considering how many times Arteta played Willian last season I doubt he would be man enough to deservedly start Sambi with Partey over this fraud. Onto next week and our 0-3 record.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
After Kane and Sonny, I think there is a huge gap between them and the next player that plays for any of those teams. And that makes all the difference to me.
I think you’re being a touch disrespectful to players on Leicester. There might be a gap, but there’s a couple of really good footballers.

Reactions: Blender

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Vardy scored 7 non-penalty goals in the PL last season. Son had 16.

I love Vardy and his style, but he is nowhere near Son any longer. I doubt Son will be as good when he turns 34 though.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Only attackers I'd take in the entire league over Son are Kane and Salah tbh. Maybe Lukaku. KDB and Bruno count as midfielders IMO.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Everton must have the most overrated squad of that group. Still dumbfounded the way some talk about them.

I'd put West Ham above both Everton and Wolves in my sleep (Arsenal too, but shhh). Squad depth hurts them though, we'd probably see different answers were we limited to the first XI.

Reactions: Savant

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Jimenez is back to what he was, and Traore finds a bit of form, Wolves aren’t bad.

West Ham and Everton both have managers who will get enough out of what they do have to be around the pack for 5-8. There are a few players who I think are being slighted in some of the evaluations. DCL was very productive, and Richarlison, while not being my cup of tea is probably better than his placement.

When I evaluate players and rosters, I consider more who could play for a club better than the one they’re on. I think Leicester have five or six guys who can (Barnes and at least two of their central defenders who haven’t been mentioned yet being ones). You could drop them into the Liverpool sheet and not miss a beat. Spurs as well, Kane and Son could rightly start for anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad