Post-Game Talk: "Pity Pardy" In Here - Jets lose 5-3

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Thorburn was on the ice with two minutes to go in the game and we are down one goal

Noticed that too. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.
I don't mind when he's in front of the net, but get Ladd out there, even double shift him at that point. Thorburn is a good skater and hustles, but that's only going to put so many goals in the net over the course of the year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Avs fan here. Can't believe how harsh you guys are being on the goalie. Two breakaway goals, one went off his defenseman right in front of the net, and one loose puck right in front of the net. I think he's being blamed too much here.

It took 3 full seasons for most Jets fans to accept that Pavelec was as bad a goalie as his league-worst-starter stats would suggest. I guess we're not going to be so slow to jump to conclusions this time... :sarcasm:

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
At least now, hopefully, someone gets moved out and Armia is given a shot.

#wishfulthinking

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I would have started Helly as well. But it wasn't the wrong call to start Hutch. Hutch just sucked.

It was ABSOLUTELY the wrong call. You've got a goalie in Hutchinson who's been pulled early on several occasions who's clearly not playing well at all, and on the other hand you have a guy who came in, let only one goal in and the team played great in front of him the night before. YOU KEEP THE MOMENTUM ROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No ifs ands or buts, this is a coaching problem.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Maurice is simply far too patient with certain players. It is definitely his worst trait as a coach.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Same old story.

"They battled back."

Why not just battle right from the get go?

Even the Leafs are playing harder then they are this year. It's down right embarrassing.

Derfel*

Dude, it is on Maurice, Hutch has been terrible for over a month why does Mo insist on reinforcing fact, Hutch is a bad goalie right now, nothing would have been lost starting Helly.

Hellebuyck has faced 15 shots in the NHL. He's an unknown at this level. Hutch was the logical decision for tonight.

But now we have the answer - Hellebuyck as an unknown is better than Hutch. So we go with Hellebuyck.

Pavelec won't be back until end of January at the earliest.

I wonder if we make a move/trade in the next couple of days.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It was ABSOLUTELY the wrong call. You've got a goalie in Hutchinson who's been pulled early on several occasions who's clearly not playing well at all, and on the other hand you have a guy who came in, let only one goal in and the team played great in front of him the night before. YOU KEEP THE MOMENTUM ROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S:handclap: You mean like a SMART coach would do?!? Any coach who wants to win would have started Helly, old school Mo still playing hunches with the game roster!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Looking at the other teams below us, the only way we get close to top 5 is if we move Ladd and Buff and hope for some key injuries and keep getting horibadawful goaltending. Otherwise, we're gonna be right around 10th.

Like divisional games are big to make the playoffs. The key to tanking is to lose to the teams below you. Tha'ts how you really gain.. I mean lose ground. We've been doing a good job with Colorado so far dropped both games. The rest will be a bit tougher especially the Eastern teams as we don't play them as much.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the thing:

Goalies that start both games of back-to-backs on average post a SV% .011 less than rested goalies who start the second game of back-to-backs.

But you've got to choose between Hutch, who's been struggling mightily putting up a .856 over his last 5 starts, or Hellebuyck, who had a light workload in an early game yesterday but you don't really know what he is yet.

I dunno, I think considering Hutch's play of late, I would've rolled with Hellebuyck until he had a bad game.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Avs fan here. Can't believe how harsh you guys are being on the goalie. Two breakaway goals, one went off his defenseman right in front of the net, and one loose puck right in front of the net. I think he's being blamed too much here.

It wouldn't be so frustrating it we didn't have possibly one of the best young goalies in the game sitting on the bench. Most of us are really more frustrated at Maurice for playing a goalie who has been clearly in a horrible slump at a time when every point is so critical.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Like divisional games are big to make the playoffs. The key to tanking is to lose to the teams below you. Tha'ts how you really gain.. I mean lose ground. We've been doing a good job with Colorado so far dropped both games. The rest will be a bit tougher especially the Eastern teams as we don't play them as much.

Edmonton won tonight, another plus for the Winnipeg tank. :laugh:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

The bigger coaching problems are both specialty teams and their abysmal tactics which are not working, and our neutral zone/D zone system that has defenseman chasing players rather than playing their position, leaving huge gaps for breakaways and free chances at our net in the D zone.

Hard to believe we've gone a month with these alarming problems and seen little evidence of any shift in tactics.

I think we've seen both extremes of Maurice, good and bad. It all adds up to an average coach. Let's hope he gets back to average.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
I want Hutch and Pav to succeed but they can't. I'm not asking them to save every goal. Defence is a problem. Other goalies help their teams out. Thats why there is a player dedicated to defending the ****ing net. Defend it. What is up with Hutch? By this point I'd rather see Pav out there.

Hellebuyck has to start next game. It can't get any worse.

Though I understand why they didn't start him today. If we lost with Helle in net things would be even more depressing around here...

Again excellent effort from the front end. Scoring 3 is enough to win or earn a point for most teams. Trouba was deadly in second half. Wheeler proving he deserves to be called elite. You can score 20 goals and won't mean **** if your goalie lets in 21.

re: the bolded

Be careful what you say...You know we play the Leafs next right?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Hutch wasn't why we lost but he sure didn't help us win. The left side of our defense needs to be addressed and now.

Pardy and shief and stu were horrible.

Morrissey, the guy down the street or Mickey moose, I don't care who they call up some one needs to try at the left side.

Only by watching a jets game being officiated would it make me wish for European refs, at least they are consistently nit picky.....on both teams. Right now we are getting screwed and it's not even up for debate.

Sooner or later someone has to take this fine and call them out on TV, demand a public explanation for this garbage.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
well I had company over tonight and couldn't watch the game. Was pretty bumbed out when I checked in though and the score was 3-0. Sucks. Feels badman.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the thing:

Goalies that start both games of back-to-backs on average post a SV% .011 less than rested goalies who start the second game of back-to-backs.

But you've got to choose between Hutch, who's been struggling mightily putting up a .856 over his last 5 starts, or Hellebuyck, who had a light workload in an early game yesterday but you don't really know what he is yet.

I dunno, I think considering Hutch's play of late, I would've rolled with Hellebuyck until he had a bad game.

This is the most frustrating thing about Maurice... he doesn't use any intuition or gut feel... he just does what the book says to do. He's a fundamentalist old school coach.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It wouldn't be so frustrating it we didn't have possibly one of the best young goalies in the game sitting on the bench. Most of us are really more frustrated at Maurice for playing a goalie who has been clearly in a horrible slump at a time when every point is so critical.

But, but, but Mo had a good hunch, doesn't matter if Hutch has sucked big time in his last 7-8 starts, the hunch rules! Ask career .500 coach Maurice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad