Series Talk: Pittsburgh vs. New York (Islanders lead 3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
hide Matheson/Ceci

TBF Matheson is the walking wounded and Ceci's in a slump, so if you don't want to lose Matheson again to an injury, then you have to mind his minutes for a bit. I hate that I'm taking Sully's side here on anything, but really it's a bit of sticky wicket-- ideally Marino and Pettersson would step up to take the mantle of the second pairing like they should have done many times before, but they're just not having a good enough series as a pair (MP has looked okay for most of the series, but Marino is doing his best boat anchor impression overall) to pull it off.

Plus, Sully's reliance on his idea of pairs/duos is really hindering any chance of balancing those blueline pairings out.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We can still win.

Jarry was not the reason we lost.

Like to see line changed.

I think as much as Carter in the top line would help Sid possibly. I think he's too valuable anchoring his own line.

Honestly I'd swap and go GMR.
Atleast Malkin is being sheltered and they may be able to do something.
Of course we can still win, the series is tied! You read through this thread (Andy) you'd think we were dead and buried. We're gonna win tomorrow and then we need to win wednesday to close it out. Not easy, but doable.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
not happy at all..I want the Pens to be better than the Isles in every game and it’s not happening
Don't you think that's a bit unrealistic? TB last year lost to the Isles twice in the playoffs and TB were world beaters and eventual cup champions. YOU think about that now Andy. Think about it!!!!!!!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Isn't Jarry's record after a loss pretty amazing?

Someone posted it before... the whole hasn't had back to back loses kinda deal will be monumental in game 5

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
More articles...

for those without access: regain their composure (including Jarry who was bothered by the Isles in his kitchen); clear the crease better; be better on the PP, suggesting Carter on PP1 for Jake or Rust; L1 — score some damn goals; and get pucks deep, saying the physicality may be taking its toll as the Pens D men are not as quick to go back and retrieve pucks for NZ transition as they were earlier in the series, leading to some TOs/goals

Five things the Penguins need to change to take back control of series

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
The thing that pisses me off the most about it was he was really good with adjustments in the back to back.

The other thing is the majority of this board voted for a 6 game series and is freaking out that it’s 2-2 with 2 games in PIT.

Exactly.

We won one game we were supposed to win. We lost one game we were supposed to win. We won one game we were supposed to lose. We lost one game we were supposed to lose.

This board can be insufferable.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This article is basically depressing because it shows that L1 has been good analytically but the shooting % is crap and also that our second pair D is in over their heads...if the solution to winning is L1 scoring more and Math-Ceci getting less minutes and Petts-Marino more, then we’re f**ked lol....better hope Jarry stands on his head the next few games

Areas for improvement and what the Penguins can change for Game 5
Great article!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
TBF Matheson is the walking wounded and Ceci's in a slump, so if you don't want to lose Matheson again to an injury, then you have to mind his minutes for a bit. I hate that I'm taking Sully's side here on anything, but really it's a bit of sticky wicket-- ideally Marino and Pettersson would step up to take the mantle of the second pairing like they should have done many times before, but they're just not having a good enough series as a pair (MP has looked okay for most of the series, but Marino is doing his best boat anchor impression overall) to pull it off.

Plus, Sully's reliance on his idea of pairs/duos is really hindering any chance of balancing those blueline pairings out.

Our biggest issue on defense is Dumoulin's the only consistent top four defender we have on the left side. If we paired up Dumoulin and Marino to form sort of a "defensive pairing", that leaves the only options to play with Letang as Matheson and Pettersson. Matheson's way too much of a defensive issue, plus him and Letang both serve the same function (ie. puck transporter). And Pettersson's simply not good enough to get the type of minutes and quality of opposition he'd face if paired with Letang.

Probably not the right discussion place for this, but this is why I've never been truly sold on our defense corps. We've got a top pairing (Letang/Dumo), we've got a guy who has shown in the past that he can be a top four player (Marino), but then our other 3 defenders are probably better suited as bottom pairing guys or, at the very most in Matheson's case, a #4 as long as he's sheltered and with a very, very stable partner.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Agreed. He's pretty good at helping his line simplify their game and get pucks to the net. Good on the cycle too.

I 100% wouldn't take out Freddy though.

But that's the only player E-Rod would be replacing. Unless Sullivan does something drastic like healthy scratch McCann, Zucker, or Rust, the only way E-Rod's coming in is to replace Gaudreau.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
I think we are going to play well next game. We've played well the whole year not losing multiple games in a row. We "stick-to-it" hahaha

Judging from all the other coaches complaining about the bullshit ref's... and what I saw with early Nashville game. I think the horrible makeup calling BS will swing to Pens tomorrow. (Like it or not, that's our shitty league)

I think you'll see better back checking, etc. and if we do that and don't screw around with touch passes and send the puck deep we'll win. They need to make the Islanders skate and pass the entire 200 feet. The more passes the Islanders have to make, the better for us.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
There is truth to that. This is the best group we have and they have been able to win 2 games so far.

You don’t make a major change hoping for the best. The change needs to be strategic.

For example if we want to crash the net more, maybe Angelo can help. Question is who does he replace?

Our team needs to speed up the transition and generate more chances on the rush.

For the cycle...
Our team needs more timely net front presence.

We also need more shots on net (not ones to the stomach that get gobbled up).
ok simple......when you have players taking a beating like jake and petts, you need to give them a little more rest so you either drop them down in the rotation or sit them every other game keeping them fresh because they will wear down. so who do we put in their place? some of those guys that we should of been playing once in a while during the regular season. but our coach in his all knowing wisdom refused to play them so they have been sitting all year, and we all know how good it is to bring in a player that has been sitting for a year.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
But that's the only player E-Rod would be replacing. Unless Sullivan does something drastic like healthy scratch McCann, Zucker, or Rust, the only way E-Rod's coming in is to replace Gaudreau.

Yeah, not sure who they take out but... but I have noticed E-Rod's speed in the games he's played. Offensively he's been a bit of a wash but at least he hustles on the back check which is what the Isles don't handle well.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well if it's Gaudreau out then it makes no sense. He's been one of the best Penguins.
3 points, +3

Been actually pretty fine with Zucker's compete level, despite him being awkward.

Can't say the same for Rust and to a lesser extent McCann.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
These were the lines Sully tried for like 2 shifts in the third period and they incorporate his duos lol so he should like them...no reason not to try them for longer...

McCann-Sid-Carter
Jake-Geno-Rust
Zucker-Blueger-Kap
ZAR-Gaudreau-Tanev

Reactions: sanscosm and Trade

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
also, hot take that’s not so hot: winner of Game 5 takes the series....

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Core problem for me is not getting enough PP's. Only 8 so far through 4 games.

Ranked #4 PP getting negated.

That's because the NHL is chicken shit hypocrites and they preach speed and skill until on the biggest stage where they let teams who trap and obstruct go absolutely unchecked by the officials. It's something that has to be brought up in league meetings. I understand a ref not wanting to impact the outcome of a game with a tacky tac call...fine. But when Sid is coming through the neutral zone or he's down low and Mayfield or Cizikas are grabbing and hooking him, that is an issue and it should be called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad