Series Talk: Pittsburgh vs. New York (Islanders lead 3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
We can still win.

Jarry was not the reason we lost.

Like to see line changed.

I think as much as Carter in the top line would help Sid possibly. I think he's too valuable anchoring his own line.

Honestly I'd swap and go GMR.
Atleast Malkin is being sheltered and they may be able to do something.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Carter's also the only one that's consistently scoring goals. Crosby is trying hard and trying to set up chances, but his two current wingers are allergic to being near the net and prefer to stand off to the perimeter so they don't get hit. Putting Carter with Sid might actually help Sid have someone to pass to who can finish the chances he generates. Swap out Zucker with McCann if you want for the LW.

In any case, our team is only going to go if Sid and Geno are producing. And right now Rust and Guentzel are doing NOTHING to help Sid produce, so why not try someone (Carter) who might? The alternative is just a continuation of what we have where the top line produces nothing all series long.

Carter _was_ with crosby out there in game 4... I believe 1 shift to start the 3rd =/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It would be nice to find out. I've yet to see that trio look anything but great together.

But I'm not holding my breath.

That's the thing. Maybe it won't work out. Maybe we're still where we're at right now. But at least give it a try. Give *something* a try.

Sullivan kind of reminds me of my cousin's 5 year old when my cousin tries to get him to put on his socks. The kid will just kind of sit there with his legs straight and arms straight, pretending to reach for his foot, and be all "it doesn't fit" without actually trying different approaches to see if the sock can actually go on his foot.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If there are line changes, I'd expect something like this. Not what I'd necessarily do, but what I think Sullivan might do.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Rodrigues
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I purposefully stayed out of the PGT. Amazing how many lurkers come out of the woodworks to pounce and kick while the team is low but are nowhere to be found when we win. Losses and cup win celebration threads are about the only places you find some of these special characters. It's pathetic.

It's 2-2. This is a close series. We (and by "we" I mean anyone with an ounce of objectivity) knew this would be a tough series. The Islanders are a tough team that's well coached. Anyone who thought this would be a cake-walk series is arrogant beyond help. But let's think about a few things considering it's 2-2:

1. Jarry hasn't been great. He cost us Game 1. He played well in 2 and 3 (ish). Game 4, when the game was winnable, several were lucky goals. Legit lucky goals. The first he got pushed by Letang's guy, the next was a ping-pong bounce off Ceci, and the third was error by Bleuger. Objectively speaking, these are lucky bounce goals for the Islanders. These are not clean goals that demonstrate a clearly superior level of play by the Islanders over us or Jarry. Isles will not get these every game. Normally, a team is lucky to get 1 or 2 a series. They got three in a game. The 4th, he got beat but at that point, whatever.

2. Most of the forwards have been no-shows but I don't think that will last forever. I think Jake is playing hurt a bit. He took some lumps in Game 1 and 2 and I don't think he's 100%. Rust has been cold but, again, I doubt it lasts forever. Kapanen and Zucker have been cold too. I just don't think this lasts. It can't. It may take gutting out a series with other depth scoring and getting into a new series but I expect them to produce more. They certainly can't produce less.

Here, you do have to give the Isles credit as they've been able to keep our wings on the perimeter and clog up the middle. Our instance to over pass to make the pretty play is our Achilles heal and the Isles know how to pounce on that. There's a reason why Carter's line has done well - they are at least willing to make the some simple plays and take shots. Other lines, if capable, not so much.

If they are going to get back into the series, they need to outskate, outwork, and outshoot the Isles. Frustrating part is, they are absolutely capable of doing that night in and night out. They just don't.

3. Little production from the backend. This was bread and butter for us. I think it will come back. It can't get any worse.

We are 2-2 with a myriad of issues. We are 2-2 because we played meh. Isles are 2-2 because they've played great in the two games they've won. Both teams at their best, we win clearly. We just need to get to our best. There's another level we can get to.

Now it's a best of 3. Relax everyone. We can still do this.

I do think I would alter the lines a bit:

Jake-Sid-Rust (not sure what else to do)
McCann-Carter-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Gaudreau
BART

Gives more offense to Carter and we can shelter Geno's line a bit more. GOAT can take center responsibilities if need be. I would also spot Sid with BART as well. See if Tanev can create from room with his speed.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Crosby's line is invisible. There needs to be a change. I don't give a shit about matchups, your first line shouldn't have to hide from anyone.
No, no, we don't need to change anything. That would require hard coaching decisions.

"It’s going to take just hard work and ‘stick-to-it-ness.’ We’ve just got to stay with it."
Mike Sullivan, 5/22/21

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
PGT is already closed so I'll post it here:

=========

---------- SOG diferential in the first period and overall team effort. That's some big time leadership core on this team, allowing their room to rhink they can take PLAYOFF GAME off . These lazy idiots simply weren't ready to play, skate and compete.

---------- 2nd line centre. No scoring. Lazy baqckchecks. Stupid childish penalties, allowing Isles to goad him into crap and get him frustrated. A true 9,5 mln performance. He is just a giant poiled moody lazy baby. The return from injury everybody was waiting so eagerly for is paying off in spades.

--------- 1st line center. Now with 1 point in 4 games. The Cup and Conn Smythe trophy are most certainly his. This guy is a true superstar... at picking up trophies while somebody else does the scoring.

-------- hairy top d-man. Zero production and boneheaded penalties that kill any semblance of momentum the team could have had. It took only 4 games for him to show his true playoff self.

------- Jarry. Again shaky and unreliable. His save percentage for this game must be in the area of 0.800, haven't checked. What a jerk. Pens are going to need a new goalie next season if they ever aspire to win anything else with this generation of players.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
2. Most of the forwards have been no-shows but I don't think that will last forever. I think Jake is playing hurt a bit. He took some lumps in Game 1 and 2 and I don't think he's 100%. Rust has been cold but, again, I doubt it lasts forever. Kapanen and Zucker have been cold too. I just don't think this lasts. It can't. It may take gutting out a series with other depth scoring and getting into a new series but I expect them to produce more. They certainly can't produce less.

It most certainly can.

Which will lead to focused areas of disappointment if they are eliminated in this series.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Lol. I'll be back on the board tomorrow for game time. I hate when the team loses because all these 'fans' appear out of the woodwork to shit talk the players, the team, and the coach. Twitter is unbearable and this place isn't much better.
I don’t think that’s fair. Some appear out of the woodwork, but some are here non-stop.

Pens stunk the last two playoffs. That’s going to be reflected in the individual player stats. In the regular season, since 2016, Sid and Geno score at the 5th and 6th highest rates (per game) ahead of MacKinnon, Kane and Panarin. Jake is 36th. Jake has 19 shots in 4 games.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don’t think that’s fair. Some appear out of the woodwork, but some are here non-stop.

Pens stunk the last two playoffs. That’s going to be reflected in the individual player stats. In the regular season, since 2016, Sid and Geno score at the 5th and 6th highest rates (per game) ahead of MacKinnon, Kane and Panarin. Jake is 36th. Jake has 19 shots in 4 games.

'If you post it, they will come'

Sunday is a relatively slow posting day. People are out and about, summer weather is upon us... things opening back up fully...
Not really ideal to sulk about a place online on a beautiful sunday - especially after a back breaking loss.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This article is basically depressing because it shows that L1 has been good analytically but the shooting % is crap and also that our second pair D is in over their heads...if the solution to winning is L1 scoring more and Math-Ceci getting less minutes and Petts-Marino more, then we’re f**ked lol....better hope Jarry stands on his head the next few games

Areas for improvement and what the Penguins can change for Game 5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This article is basically depressing because it shows that L1 has been good analytically but the shooting % is crap and also that our second pair D is in over their heads...if the solution to winning is L1 scoring more and Math-Ceci getting less minutes and Petts-Marino more, then we’re f**ked lol....better hope Jarry stands on his head the next few games

I think the issue with our D-corps is that with Marino playing the way he is, we essentially have 1 top pairing and 2 third pairings. In an ideal situation, Matheson/Ceci and Pettersson/Marino should be a team's third pairing, not a team's second pairing.

If Marino was playing like last year's version, that's a bit different. But as it is, we're relying heavily on Dumo/Letang to play 25+ minutes to limit both of the other two pairings.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017

does that control for shot quality? guentzel has had a ton of soft perimeter shots without any net presence that certainly cant be construed as controlling play

Reactions: LOGiK and Andy99

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
No, no, we don't need to change anything. That would require hard coaching decisions.

"It’s going to take just hard work and ‘stick-to-it-ness.’ We’ve just got to stay with it."
Mike Sullivan, 5/22/21

There is truth to that. This is the best group we have and they have been able to win 2 games so far.

You don’t make a major change hoping for the best. The change needs to be strategic.

For example if we want to crash the net more, maybe Angelo can help. Question is who does he replace?

Our team needs to speed up the transition and generate more chances on the rush.

For the cycle...
Our team needs more timely net front presence.

We also need more shots on net (not ones to the stomach that get gobbled up).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I was actually going to bring this up. Pets/Marino is now a #2 pairing. It was always supposed to be our #3. So i'm not sure why Sully keeps putting that pairing as the #2. I think they CAN be #2s... but isn't that why we brought Matheson in? The reality is... they want to hide Matheson/Ceci. That's not a good thing.

I would go Dumo/Marino and Letang/______ if you want a rounded out top 4.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

So it’s a crazy idea for the top line to start scoring and to play your 3rd D pairing minutes you’d play a 3rd D pairing? Yeah, totally hopeless if you need those 2 things to happen.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
does that control for shot quality? guentzel has had a ton of soft perimeter shots without any net presence that certainly cant be construed as controlling play

They arent all perimeter but there is a few.

8477404-30110-eventmap-all.png

Reactions: cookthebooks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So it’s a crazy idea for the top line to start scoring and to play your 3rd D pairing minutes you’d play a 3rd D pairing? Yeah, totally hopeless if you need those 2 things to happen.

it hasn’t happened in five games...what’s makes you think it’s all of the sudden going to happen naturally?...some changes have to be forced by the coaching staff...

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I was actually going to bring this up. Pets/Marino is now a #2 pairing. It was always supposed to be our #3. So i'm not sure why Sully keeps putting that pairing as the #2. I think they CAN be #2s... but isn't that why we brought Matheson in? The reality is... they want to hide Matheson/Ceci. That's not a good thing.

I would go Dumo/Marino and Letang/______ if you want a rounded out top 4.
That blank would have to be Ceci, and he has struggled throughout his career when tasked with being a top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA