Series Talk: Pittsburgh vs. New York (Islanders lead 3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you still need to try something. Maybe that "something" also doesn't work, but you won't know if you don't try it. Instead, Sullivan just keeps trotting out the exact same line combinations that are struggling right now.
Sure, but Jake-Rust with a mangled Geno isn't gonna help any of the three of them, imo.

Reduce Geno's minutes by a ton and hope he can help on the PP. Break up the 4th line and put Tanev with someone sparks that line. That's all I really got. Sid's a non-factor offensively. Geno's skating is a disaster. Kap's hustling a lot but not much else. Rust has been a detriment. Jake as well, between his tantrums and his ineffectiveness offensively (he's terrible defensively so that's a given). Zucker? Pffft. McCann? PFFFFFT.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sure, but Jake-Rust with a mangled Geno isn't gonna help any of the three of them, imo.

Reduce Geno's minutes by a ton and hope he can help on the PP. Break up the 4th line and put Tanev with someone sparks that line. That's all I really got. Sid's a non-factor offensively. Geno's skating is a disaster. Kap's hustling a lot but not much else. Rust has been a detriment. Jake as well, between his tantrums and his ineffectiveness offensively (he's terrible defensively so that's a given). Zucker? Pffft. McCann? PFFFFFT.

Putting Rust and Guentzel with Geno helps in the sense that it gets Rust and Guentzel away from the Isles' top defense pairing. Sid's always going to face the other team's top shutdown pairing, so move those two wingers away from him and maybe they'll actually do something when they don't have to face as stiff opposition.

McCann - Crosby - Carter
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Gaudreau - Kapanen
BART

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Putting Rust and Guentzel with Geno helps in the sense that it gets Rust and Guentzel away from the Isles' top defense pairing. Sid's always going to face the other team's top shutdown pairing, so move those two wingers away from him and maybe they'll actually do something when they don't have to face as stiff opposition.

McCann - Crosby - Carter
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Gaudreau - Kapanen
BART
You don't f*** with Carter's placement or deployment, imo. Dude's the only one worth a damn. :laugh: He's an older dude who thrives in a sheltered, 3rd line role behind the top two scoring lines and their assingments.

McCann's trash. Jake and Rust are garbage, with Jake being simply invisible and Rust being a liability. Putting them with a dude who should probably be on crutches isn't gonna spark some miracle turnaround, imo.

There's no right choices. Swap guys around if you want, but this team's dusted. They may get by a flawed Isles team, but that's about it.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't think breaking up the top line does anything. We're swapping around miserable parts to get different combinations that produce the same miserable outcome, imo. Geno should be at home resting up a surgically repaired leg, not playing. Every winger in the top-9 has sucked. Sid's been a ghost offensively. Carter's the only guy playing well and he's best suited as a 3rd line, reduced minutes player.

Do people expect some great spark to occur when we give a maimed Geno two guys playing like total shit? Do we think an underwhelming Sid gets Zucker to stop being awful like he has been for the past calendar year?

No right options now. Every forward, Carter excluded, has been trash.
Yeah just keep trotting the same shit out there and expect it to work itself out.

Perfect coaching for the Pittsburgh Titanics.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah just keep trotting the same shit out there and expect it to work itself out.

Perfect coaching for the Pittsburgh Titanics.
Or switch it up and probably get the same result. I don't care what Sully does, frankly. I've wanted him fired for years and have been shaking my head at all the "We're sorry, Sully. You're actually awesome. Jack Adams!" stuff people have been tossing around all season. But the personnel either get it done or they don't. Sullivan's insistence to keep things the same doesn't help, but he's not f***ing things up so badly that none of these guys can do their f***ing job for years. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You don't f*** with Carter's placement or deployment, imo. Dude's the only one worth a damn. :laugh: He's an older dude who thrives in a sheltered, 3rd line role behind the top two scoring lines and their assingments.

McCann's trash. Jake and Rust are garbage, with Jake being simply invisible and Rust being a liability. Putting them with a dude who should probably be on crutches isn't gonna spark some miracle turnaround, imo.

There's no right choices. Swap guys around if you want, but this team's dusted. They may get by a flawed Isles team, but that's about it.

Carter's also the only one that's consistently scoring goals. Crosby is trying hard and trying to set up chances, but his two current wingers are allergic to being near the net and prefer to stand off to the perimeter so they don't get hit. Putting Carter with Sid might actually help Sid have someone to pass to who can finish the chances he generates. Swap out Zucker with McCann if you want for the LW.

In any case, our team is only going to go if Sid and Geno are producing. And right now Rust and Guentzel are doing NOTHING to help Sid produce, so why not try someone (Carter) who might? The alternative is just a continuation of what we have where the top line produces nothing all series long.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Carter's also the only one that's consistently scoring goals. Crosby is trying hard and trying to set up chances, but his two current wingers are allergic to being near the net and prefer to stand off to the perimeter so they don't get hit. Putting Carter with Sid might actually help Sid have someone to pass to who can finish the chances he generates. Swap out Zucker with McCann if you want for the LW.

In any case, our team is only going to go if Sid and Geno are producing. And right now Rust and Guentzel are doing NOTHING to help Sid produce, so why not try someone (Carter) who might? The alternative is just a continuation of what we have where the top line produces nothing all series long.
Because you run the risk of torpedoing Carter's effectiveness by moving him up and giving him TOI/responsibility/role he's not best suited for. He's the one guy who looks any good when he's on the ice. Give him top PP time if you want to give him more of a chance to impact the game. Throw Jake and Rust in a dumpster and put Carter and Kap in their spot on the top PP. As for ES, who knows? I don't think anything matters as far as ES goes, to be perfectly honest.

Sid's old and can't do it anymore offensively. Geno's hobbled as f***. The wingers, to a man, in the top-9 suck and have for literally years come playoff time. /shrug

Sully's a clown, but he's not the only issue.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Or switch it up and probably get the same result. I don't care what Sully does, frankly. I've wanted him fired for years and have been shaking my head at all the "We're sorry, Sully. You're actually awesome. Jack Adams!" stuff people have been tossing around all season. But the personnel either get it done or they don't. Sullivan's insistence to keep things the same doesn't help, but he's not f***ing things up so badly that none of these guys can do their f***ing job for years. :laugh:
It's a chicken and egg situation. I could get behind your argument that it's not personnel a lot easier if Sullivan was doing everything he could and they still were falling flat on their faces though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because you run the risk of torpedoing Carter's effectiveness by moving him up and giving him TOI/responsibility/role he's not best suited for. He's the one guy who looks any good when he's on the ice. Give him top PP time if you want to give him more of a chance to impact the game. Throw Jake and Rust in a dumpster and put Carter and Kap in their spot on the top PP. As for ES, who knows? I don't think anything matters as far as ES goes, to be perfectly honest.

Sid's old and can't do it anymore offensively. Geno's hobbled as f***. The wingers, to a man, in the top-9 suck and have for literally years come playoff time. /shrug

Sully's a clown, but he's not the only issue.

I don't believe the bolded for a minute. Sid still shows glimpses of what he can do when his linemates are actually pulling their weight. The only thing he can no longer do is carry two stiffs offensively, like he could when he was younger, all by himself.

And as I said, it really doesn't matter how well Carter is playing on L3 if the top line is doing jack all. We're only going far if we get our top guys going. We're going to go nowhere if L3 is the only one producing, while L1 and L2 are big pieces of turd.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't believe the bolded for a minute. Sid still shows glimpses of what he can do when his linemates are actually pulling their weight. The only thing he can no longer do is carry two stiffs offensively, like he could when he was younger, all by himself.

And as I said, it really doesn't matter how well Carter is playing on L3 if the top line is doing jack all. We're only going far if we get our top guys going. We're going to go nowhere if L3 is the only one producing, while L1 and L2 are big pieces of turd.
I mean, it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. He's not a nearly $9 million 1C anymore. He's paid like one, and he's really solid defensively with flashes here and there, but he hasn't done anything to the degree he needs to come playoff time. That's it.

And it's not just Sid. It's everyone in the top-9 excluding Carter. All colossal, annual disappointments when it matters most in recent years.

Sid's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 11gp, 3g, 2a, 5pts.
Geno's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 9gp, 1g, 5a, 6pts
Jake's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 11gp, 2g, 3a, 5pts
Rust's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 11gp, 2g, 2a, 4pts
McCann's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 9gp, 0g, 3a, 3pts
Zucker's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 12gp, 3g, 0a, 3pts
Kapanen's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 15gp, 2g, 4a, 6pts
Blueger's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 8gp, 1g, 0a, 1pts
ZAR's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 12gp, 1g, 2a, 3pts
Tanev's past 3 trips to the playoffs; 12gp, 2g, 2a, 4pts

That gettin' it done? Nah. Sullivan's a clown who should've been shown his walking papers with JR after the last Isles series. But the players on the ice ain't worth shit.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's a chicken and egg situation. I could get behind your argument that it's not personnel a lot easier if Sullivan was doing everything he could and they still were falling flat on their faces though.
I'm not saying it's entirely on the players. Sullivan's ego killed this team against the Habs because he just couldn't help himself from not only dressing JJ and Schultz, and not only playing them together, but playing them consistently, in important situations, despite that duo caving this team in every time it hopped over the boards.

He's an absolute schmuck, but people gotta wake up to the very real fact that this forward corps, to a man, has done f*** all in the playoffs for years. Not this year, not last year, but at least 3 years. In some cases, like Rust, more. He had two solid runs--not even very good, just clutch--during the back to backs and hasn't done a damn thing in 24 games since. Twenty four games. :laugh: 5 goals, 7pts

f*** Rust, tbh. They won't move him, but they absolutely should try and get a Kapanen-like return for him. It'd go a long way toward potentially lessening the blow of the post Sid/Geno era.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. He's not a nearly $9 million 1C anymore. He's paid like one, and he's really solid defensively with flashes here and there, but he hasn't done anything to the degree he needs to come playoff time. That's it.

And it's not just Sid. It's everyone in the top-9 excluding Carter. All colossal, annual disappointments when it matters most in recent years.

That gettin' it done? Nah. Sullivan's a clown who should've been shown his walking papers with JR after the last Isles series. But the players on the ice ain't worth shit.

I think you're holding Crosby to a ridiculous standard. Even McDavid, the clear cut best player in hockey currently, has gone pointless his first two games. And other than 9 points in 4 games against a terrible Chicago team in the bubble last year, McDavid has 9 points in his other 15 career playoff games. All while playing with Draisaitl.

In other words, it's difficult for even the very best players to produce in the playoffs without proper support. Sid's support consists of two wingers who are literally playing some of the worst hockey either guy has played in their respective careers.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you're holding Crosby to a ridiculous standard. Even McDavid, the clear cut best player in hockey currently, has gone pointless his first two games. And other than 9 points in 4 games against a terrible Chicago team in the bubble last year, McDavid has 9 points in his other 15 career playoff games. All while playing with Draisaitl.

In other words, it's difficult for even the very best players to produce in the playoffs without proper support. Sid's support consists of two wingers who are literally playing some of the worst hockey either guy has played in their respective careers.
I'm holding Sidney Crosby, a ~$9 million, #1 center, to the standard you hold a player like that to. I don't really care what McDavid does or doesn't do. He's been a no-show in the playoffs at times going back to Eerie, and the Jets are going full Bruins/Red Wings with their clutching, grabbing and obstruction.

But we're talking about the Penguins, and their top players. You'll get no argument from me about Sid's wingers, or any of the forwards outside of Carter, being miserable disappointments--for years. But Sid and Geno aren't exempt from the flak because of their legacy. They've sucked shit too. At least this year, in Geno's case, he has the excuse that he shouldn't even be playing due to injury. Sid may be injured too, but if they're in the lineup, they gotta produce. They're not. None of 'em are.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know. I still want to believe this team just accidentally wins the round because of how much talent they have, and how the Isles are missing Lee and Barzal doesn't look right. I just don't think they're going to do anything against the Bruins, and certainly have absolutely zero confidence in this team against the best the league has to offer. Whether it's Tampa, Carolina, Vegas or Colorado. Every one of those teams would absolutely smoke us. I doubt we'd put up much of a fight against the likes of Florida, Minny or Nashville either.

The coach is a clown. The big money guys can't get it done anymore. The supporting cast, top on down, are duds. Jarry looks shaky as all hell.

Hextall and Burke have their work cut out for them. Either they really get down to studs and bolts and reshape this team to be more playoff capable for one last run next year, or they start to dismantle things with the understanding that the core ain't getting better as age and injury pile up, and while they had a hell of a run this era, it's gotta end sometime. Not getting out of the 2nd round in 4 years feels like the writing's on the wall.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm holding Sidney Crosby, a ~$9 million, #1 center, to the standard you hold a player like that to. I don't really care what McDavid does or doesn't do. He's been a no-show in the playoffs at times going back to Eerie, and the Jets are going full Bruins/Red Wings with their clutching, grabbing and obstruction.

But we're talking about the Penguins, and their top players. You'll get no argument from me about Sid's wingers, or any of the forwards outside of Carter, being miserable disappointments--for years. But Sid and Geno aren't exempt from the flak because of their legacy. They've sucked shit too. At least this year, in Geno's case, he has the excuse that he shouldn't even be playing due to injury. Sid may be injured too, but if they're in the lineup, they gotta produce. They're not. None of 'em are.

This is the type of thing I'm talking about. People acknowledge that his linemates have been dog shit, but still think he should produce regardless. The NHL is a tough league to expect one guy, no matter how good, to produce offensively when the other 2 guys on his line are playing poorly.

Like, exactly what is he supposed to do if the other two guys on his line aren't doing anything? Go end to end? Deke around three defenders and singlehandedly put up goal after goal? The expectations for our star players is ridiculous on this forum.

I even mentioned the best player in hockey (McDavid) struggling to produce in the playoffs to show how difficult it is even for someone in their prime to do it, but it's brushed off as "we're not talking about him, we're talking about the Penguins' top players". That's the problem. You're ignoring the fact it's not a "Penguins" problem. It's called no single player can do everything on their own if their linemates are playing terrible hockey.

If Guentzel and Rust were flying and Crosby was loafing around, I'd 100% agree with you. But the fact that it's universally accepted how bad those two have been and you still think Crosby should be producing "just because" is what I mean by this fanbase wanting to shit on Crosby (and Malkin) whenever things go poorly, even when they're not even close to the reason for the struggles.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is the type of thing I'm talking about. People acknowledge that his linemates have been dog shit, but still think he should produce regardless. The NHL is a tough league to expect one guy, no matter how good, to produce offensively when the other 2 guys on his line are playing poorly.

Like, exactly what is he supposed to do if the other two guys on his line aren't doing anything? Go end to end? Deke around three defenders and singlehandedly put up goal after goal? The expectations for our star players is ridiculous on this forum.

I even mentioned the best player in hockey (McDavid) struggling to produce in the playoffs to show how difficult it is even for someone in their prime to do it, but it's brushed off as "we're not talking about him, we're talking about the Penguins' top players". That's the problem. You're ignoring the fact it's not a "Penguins" problem. It's called no single player can do everything on their own if their linemates are playing terrible hockey.

If Guentzel and Rust were flying and Crosby was loafing around, I'd 100% agree with you. But the fact that it's universally accepted how bad those two have been and you still think Crosby should be producing "just because" is what I mean by this fanbase wanting to shit on Crosby (and Malkin) whenever things go poorly, even when they're not even close to the reason for the struggles.
I mean, if Jake and Rust have been shit, why can't Sid have been shit too? He's had nice plays defensively and occasionally makes the offensive plays a top center can and should make. But if they're not doing anything, they're not doing anything. Goals win you games.

People want to look every which way but at Sid or Geno when things don't go well. They've been as responsible for this team's failure in recent years as anyone. Spend big money on players, put them in important roles, and if they fail, they fail. I don't care if it's Sid, McDavid, Giroux, Marchand, etc.

Nobody wants to accept the fact that these forwards, to a man, have come up short. Some worse than others, but zero players have lived up to expectation or done what needs to be done in order to succeed. The coach sucks, the blueline's sucked for years before this iteration, Murray and Jarry have both been shaky as f***--at best. Yeah, all true. But the forwards have been dogshit and people need to accept that there's plenty of blame to go around, and guys like Sid and Geno don't escape because they carried this team to Cups years ago. We're all happy to have seen this team win 3 Cups in this era, but those Cups mean jack shit with regard to this team's current situation.

And we're not talking about McDavid. I don't give a shit about McDavid. :laugh: If anything, he'll eventually figure it out due to his age and talent. Our guys are ~35 and have stumbled in the playoffs the past several trips, and are surrounded by dudes who don't pull their weight either.

At some point people gotta accept that valid criticism landing in the lap of underperforming players isn't shitting on players, or having some agenda. The fact is, this team's spinning its tires and no forward is exempt from critique. Not Jake, Rust, McCann, nor Sid and Geno.

-edit-
If you're gonna hold Jake, Rust, McCann, etc. accountable for underwhelming or downright awful play, good. Deserved critique.

If you're gonna hold Sullivan accountable for his stubborn, almost spiteful arrogance and ego torpedoing things with his refusal to shake things up, good. Deserved critique.

If you're gonna hold players and coaches accountable for this team's annual greasy, wet fart come playoff time, good. But you damn well better accept that Sid and Geno, two guys making ~$18 million and handed huge roles of importance, are very largely to blame as well. Maybe they're old, maybe the mix isn't right to get the most out of oft-injured and aging vets, maybe they've just lost it. But they're very deserving of blame, and to pretend they're not is blatant homerism and gold/yellow colored glasses yinzer talk.

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

For context(?), the last three playoff years for a couple of other colossal, annual disappointments, at least by this criteria:

Player A 19gp, 10g, 8a, 18pts 0.95 pts/game
Player B 19gp, 9g, 13a, 22pts 1.16 pts/game
Player C 14gp, 8g, 7a, 15pts 1.07 pts/game

Sid over same time period 0.46 pts/game
Geno over same time period 0.67 pts/game

Yes, Players A - C have better PPG figures, but are they that much better than our "ain't worth shit" players? You decide...

Player A - Connor McDavid, half way through a 8 yr, $100MM contract($12.5MM AAV)

Player B - Leon Draisaitl, half way through a 8 yr, $60MM contract($8.5MM AAV)

Player C - Auston Mathews ($11.634MM AAV)

Finally, let's keep in mind, starting 2022-2023, Crosby won't be paid like nearly $9MM, as he gets only $3.0MM for the remainder of the term of his contract (3 years).

Disclaimers- These 3-yr timeframes (which I copied from the OP) are arbitrary. I think a minimum 50 pt playoff threshold makes sense for meaningful comps. Gretz and #66 look even more amazing in the career context (1.84 pts/game, 1.61, respectively). MacKinnon is the leader of the current pack with a 1.42 playoff PPG average, which is pretty dang amazing.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Crosby counts for $8.7 million against the cap. Geno, $9.5 million. I don't care what the pedophile-adjacent, billionaire Burkle has to shell out in terms of actual cash when it's all broken down. That doesn't now, nor has it ever mattered to you, I, or any other fan. :laugh:

If two guys take up roughly 20% of the cap, they'd damn well better be up to the task on the ice--in the regular season and the playoffs. Again, they're not alone, and I don't think they're the worst offenders of the forward group, but they take up the most cap and have the biggest role/responsibility. It falls on their shoulders as much as anyone else when it comes to the product on the ice.

We can't grill guys like Jake, Rust, McCann, etc. for not pulling their weight and absolve Sid and Geno of any accountability because of their legacies. For all intents and purposes the Cups they won are well in the rear view by now and have absolutely no bearing on the current team's performance evaluation.

Every member at ice level has to be better; players and coaches alike. If they can no longer do their job, they should be replaced. Outside of Sid and Geno, who will never be moved unless they step forward and specifically request it, everyone should be fair game if/when we lose in the 1st or 2nd round again for the 4th time in a row.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
not really, despite what Sid wants you to believe lol...we had moments but the majority of each period, I think it’s fair to say, the Isles controlled the game and had the better opportunities...penalties contributed to that...

Lame. Oh well, I expected this to be a long series despite my getting excited how well our first periods have been going :/ Really is mental with this team.

Reactions: Andy99

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Lol. I'll be back on the board tomorrow for game time. I hate when the team loses because all these 'fans' appear out of the woodwork to shit talk the players, the team, and the coach. Twitter is unbearable and this place isn't much better.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I'll never understand why Sullivan is the king of never making ANY adjustments, ever, in game or after game when the team is getting outplayed unless there is an injury.

Crosby's line is invisible. There needs to be a change. I don't give a shit about matchups, your first line shouldn't have to hide from anyone.

There are so many other line combos that could be better, but the best we will get is Rodrigues for Gaudreau.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I'll never understand why Sullivan is the king of never making ANY adjustments, ever, in game or after game when the team is getting outplayed unless there is an injury.

Crosby's line is invisible. There needs to be a change. I don't give a shit about matchups, your first line shouldn't have to hide from anyone.

There are so many other line combos that could be better, but the best we will get is Rodrigues for Gaudreau.
My problem as well. Maybe rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic doesn't help but standing around doing nothing while the ship is sinking sure as shit isn't helping.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It would be nice to find out. I've yet to see that trio look anything but great together.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The thing that pisses me off the most about it was he was really good with adjustments in the back to back.

The other thing is the majority of this board voted for a 6 game series and is freaking out that it’s 2-2 with 2 games in PIT.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’ll be very sad, but probably what the NHL deserves, if the douchebaggery hockey of Boston or the Isles makes it out of the East...I will hope that they fall to one of the clubs from the other divisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad