Series Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Philadelphia Flyers in Round 1 (Pens win series 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Pens have outplayed the Flyers in every game this series.

They are going to outplay the Flyers tomorrow.

The game comes down to Murray.

Which Murray is going to show up tomorrow will determine the result.
when the offense ranges from 1 goal to 7 goals, I'm gonna say they probably factor in too. Our Powerplay let us down far more than Murray last night.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
FML. Ofically worried again. Not being able to close it out yesterday, and now a Geno injury. Feelin sick......

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

This has me a little worried now.

If Malkin and Horny are playing why would Simon be practicing on the 2nd PP?

Maybe Simon will stay in the lineup and someone like ZAR will come out.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

This has me a little worried now.

If Malkin and Horny are playing why would Simon be practicing on the 2nd PP?

Maybe Simon will stay in the lineup and someone like ZAR will come out.

Probably a 'maintenance day' for Geno. That's all we're likely to get out of Mike 'Everyone Is A Game-Time Decision' Sullivan.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'd rather have Rust or Sheahan on the second PP unit than Simon. At least it looks like Hornquist is back for game #6.

I don't know why Sheahan hasn't been playing on the 2nd PP all year long, he did it for Detroit, he was a pretty good guy in front of the net for Detroit.

I would of had him on the 1st unit last night filling in for Horny.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Flyers aren't generating anything, they had 1 really good chance last game which was the Giroux goal.
okay. But shouldn't our offense be able to bail Murray out of a mediocre game? It seems to happen less often than it should, at least in the postseason. I'm not saying Murray shouldn't be better, but this team should be able to win games even when we give up 3 goals. The success of a team with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Brassard, Hornqvist, etc etc etc shouldn't rest solely on the shoulders of Matt Murray. He's got to be a part of it of course, but it's on all of them.

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
FML. Ofically worried again. Not being able to close it out yesterday, and now a Geno injury. Feelin sick......

I'm not worried. Last year, after being up 3-1 vs. the Caps, then losing games 5 & 6, going back to DC to play game 7 ... THEN I was worried.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
okay. But shouldn't our offense be able to bail Murray out of a mediocre game? It seems to happen less often than it should, at least in the postseason. I'm not saying Murray shouldn't be better, but this team should be able to win games even when we give up 3 goals. The success of a team with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Brassard, Hornqvist, etc etc etc shouldn't rest solely on the shoulders of Matt Murray. He's got to be a part of it of course, but it's on all of them.

I think its hard to expect any team to score 4 goals a game in the playoffs to win games, you gotta be able to win 2-1 games.

One of Sully's sayings is

You can't score your way to a championship, you gotta be able to keep the puck out of your net.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think its hard to expect any team to score 4 goals a game in the playoffs to win games, you gotta be able to win 2-1 games.

One of Sully's sayings is

You can't score your way to a championship, you gotta be able to keep the puck out of your net.
on a regular basis, sure. But on some occasions, it would be nice. They have only won one playoff game with Murray giving up 3 goals. We have scored 3 or more goals 24 times in that stretch, and 4+ in 12.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If Geno is out i'd go

Jake Sid Horny
Sheary Brass Rust
Hags Sheahan Phil
ZAR Rowney Kuhn

Last night was the first game i actually felt like Brass showed some chemistry with his line mates , i wouldn't break them up.

I also liked how Phil and Sheahan played together right before the Brass trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Exactly. Murray shouldn't have to pitch a shutout and be #1 star in order for this team to win games. We should have the offense to cover for him if he lets in 3 goals in a game once in a while.

But it seems like unless Murray gives up 1 goal or less, we can't win. Which isn't what you expect from a team with this much firepower.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Even if Malkin goes down, we have Brassard.

It is a huge reason we brought him in. Crosby - Brassard - Sheahan - Jooris should still be able to beat what the Flyers can ice.
Except, that Brassard hasn't showed/contributed that much in his time here yet.

To think about it, he wasn't a big contributor with Ottawa either and with NYR he was mostly noticeble on PP, at least for me. I think he's a bit overrated. Not a bad player by any mean, but not as great as some make him out to be.

I think he needs PP1 time and ideal set of linemates to get maximum value out of him. But then, who you take away from the first power play when everyone is healthy...

I hope he'll break trough at some point for us tho.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
It would probably be Rowney over Jooris and L4 would barely play. Their top 3 centres would still be legit.
Jooris was sent down, so yeah. Rowney has been practicing with the team, so going by that he's probably a healthy scratch at this point.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'll update the injury thread and take him off the list.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
To be fair, Brassard has spent a lot of time playing with a badly injured (guessing here, but seems like it) Kessel and a Sheary who A. does nothing without the puck on his stick, and B. falls down whenever an opposing player gets within 5 feet of him.

It's not like he's had a great situation dropped in his lap. But with Sheary being ineffective, Hornqvist being hurt, Kessel being hurt, and needing wingers for Sid and Geno, Brassard isn't really going to get a great pair of wingers. I think he's been fine. He's our 3C, he gives us depth and allows Sheahan--who has been very good in his own right--to move to the 4th line.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Pretty sure both Horny and Geno will play tomorrow. I don't think Horny's upper body injury will affect his game that much(plus he got a bit of a rest). But Geno's lower body injury probably will have a noticible effect on him. Add hurting Kess in the mix and things don't look that good...
Sullivan will need a serious thinkiring on line combos.

Lineup with no Geno/or hurting Geno and Kessel may be enough to beat the Flyers, but things don't look good in perspective beyond that.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Except, that Brassard hasn't showed/contributed that much in his time here yet.

To think about it, he wasn't a big contributor with Ottawa either and with NYR he was mostly noticeble on PP, at least for me. I think he's a bit overrated. Not a bad player by any mean, but not as great as some make him out to be.

I think he needs PP1 time and ideal set of linemates to get maximum value out of him. But then, who you take away from the first power play when everyone is healthy...

I hope he'll break trough at some point for us tho.

I don’t know what you are talking about?

He was putting together a PPG streak of six games when he went down in the regular season.

He’s basically had a game changing assists or goal in three of five games in this series. He set up Rust last game for the tying goal with some clever interference on Haag?

In his playoff history he has 4 PP goals in 80+ games?

I think he is just a solid center and when people hear #2C they expect Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad