Series Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Philadelphia Flyers in Round 1 (Pens win series 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Pens figured it would be an easy game and Flyers would roll over. Think again, they wont roll over in game 6. I predicted Pens in 6 anyway, hope it happens. They needed that loss to know closing out any team is not "easy", but you'd think they would know this for the most experienced postseason team in the NHL. Ohwell, **** happens just don't let it happen again, play like you're down 3-0 in the series and you got nothing to lose so give them all they can handle.
I am going out on a limb and suggest something at the end of this diatribe I am about to write. So bear with me.

This game: I squarely blame it on Kessel. He telegraphed that interception the whole way. Every single time he was entering the zone, he had done the same thing, which mind you was not a problem. My contention is that he actually is a mini-version of Sheary in his current form in that he is avoiding contact and puck battles as much as possible, esp when he's on a power play. If you notice, most of the board play goes dead when it ends at the stick of Kessel and he's to actually battle it out.

WHY NOT SIT HIM DOWN? I MEAN if he's this liable, why not sit him down for a game? As poorly and careless as they played that game, they were up 2-1 and the way it looked, Philly was doin jack squat. You could actually see the whole thing being a quagmire for the team as the goalie was out of the world for Philly.

How bad would it be to sit Phil for a game, to give him even more rest? Or was it just lazyness that caused that costly mistake? He could have just held the puck for a sec, and he would be fine because there was Crosby, if I am not mistaken on his backhand. But he chose to go cross ice and Fillipula was waiting for it because he had seen it in the same game, at least 4-6 times. Sorry, I am so furious about that play.

Reactions: Burn

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just realized Hagelin has been in the playoffs every season of his career. Playing no less than 12 games each year.

17, 12, 25, 19, 24 (Pitt) , 15( hurt last year or it would have been 25) and 5 so far this year. 117 playoff games so far.

Some dont even see 17 total.

If his hands were just a lil better...

Even if only one aspect of his game was a bit better. Take a guy like Pascal Dupuis. He was very similar to Hagelin in that he was a mucker with speed, smarts, and handled the puck like a bouncy ball. But he had a pretty decent shot, which allowed him to chip in 20 goals now and then.

If Hagelin had Dupuis' shot (even if it could be erratic), he'd probably be a consistent 20+ goal threat for this club playing alongside Geno.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
okay. But shouldn't our offense be able to bail Murray out of a mediocre game? It seems to happen less often than it should, at least in the postseason. I'm not saying Murray shouldn't be better, but this team should be able to win games even when we give up 3 goals. The success of a team with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Brassard, Hornqvist, etc etc etc shouldn't rest solely on the shoulders of Matt Murray. He's got to be a part of it of course, but it's on all of them.

We should. But our PP without Hornqvist isn't all that great - even with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. But it's not like we didn't hit 2-3 posts last game. We had chances... we didn't get the bounces. It happens. But it doesn't change the fact that we completely out played Philly. We do that and more often then not, we will win a seven game series.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
For all the people that were hesitant on signing horny to his extension, look at how **** the team looks without that borderline psycho in the line up.

Thank God he’s ready to be back next game.

captain%20thor_zpskv7q5iul.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Game 6 comes down to a two things for me; Hornqvist's ability to play and be effective, and our power play.

That's really just it. If our power play is trash again, we're in trouble. If we can produce on the power play, we've got a great chance. Hornqvist plays a huge role in whether it's one or the other.

Mine is effort. If the effort is there I think they can outscore the Flyers at ES and the PP always benefits from them moving.

I also really think Letang’s minutes need to be kept down. I’d rather have good Letang for 22-24 and take the potential mistakes from playing other pairings more than play Russian roulette with bad Letang for close to half a game.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Except, that Brassard hasn't showed/contributed that much in his time here yet.

To think about it, he wasn't a big contributor with Ottawa either and with NYR he was mostly noticeble on PP, at least for me. I think he's a bit overrated. Not a bad player by any mean, but not as great as some make him out to be.

I think he needs PP1 time and ideal set of linemates to get maximum value out of him. But then, who you take away from the first power play when everyone is healthy...

I hope he'll break trough at some point for us tho.

While to an extent I think this is true... I think him with Sheary and Rust have looked very very good together. You tilt the odds like that shift after shift, and eventually pucks will go in.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I hope we win tomorrow. I'm pretty confident we'd win game 7 if it comes to that but too many things can go wrong when it comes down to just one game. A few bad bounces and woops, you're done.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
I am going out on a limb and suggest something at the end of this dfuiatribe I am about to write. So bear with me.

This game: I squarely blame it on Kessel. He telegraphed that interception the whole way. Every single time he was entering the zone, he had done the same thing, which mind you was not a problem. My contention is that he actually is a mini-version of Sheary in his current form in that he is avoiding contact and puck battles as much as possible, esp when he's on a power play. If you notice, most of the board play goes dead when it ends at the stick of Kessel and he's to actually battle it out.

WHY NOT SIT HIM DOWN? I MEAN if he's this liable, why not sit him down for a game? As poorly and careless as they played that game, they were up 2-1 and the way it looked, Philly was doin jack squat. You could actually see the whole thing being a quagmire for the team as the goalie was out of the world for Philly.

How bad would it be to sit Phil for a game, to give him even more rest? Or was it just lazyness that caused that costly mistake? He could have just held the puck for a sec, and he would be fine because there was Crosby, if I am not mistaken on his backhand. But he chose to go cross ice and Fillipula was waiting for it because he had seen it in the same game, at least 4-6 times. Sorry, I am so furious about that play.

If Phil isn't scoring he's not useful anywhere on this team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If Phil isn't scoring he's not useful anywhere on this team.
This is not true. He's still a threat to score, which opens up room for his linemates and draws the attention of the opposition.

The beauty of Kessel is that he's got a shot that can change the course of the game instantly, from just about anywhere. He's also one of the better passers on this team. He's never going to battle, or be a hellacious defender.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is not true. He's still a threat to score, which opens up room for his linemates and draws the attention of the opposition.

The beauty of Kessel is that he's got a shot that can change the course of the game instantly, from just about anywhere. He's also one of the better passers on this team. He's never going to battle, or be a hellacious defender.
yeah, his goal the other day right when the Flyers starting to steal momentum was huge, even if it's the only play of the game he had much impact.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Kessel is the QB of the PP and the reset point. He's responsible for the terror that unit has become the last two years, especially in the playoffs. Whether he's hurt or tired or both, he's invaluable, and the suggestion to sit him is offensively stupid.

And for the last time, a giveaway at the blue line is ill advised, but ultimately harmless when the result the other way is a f***ing 2 on 2, which is what happened last night.

If I'm a coach and I know the worst thing that could happen coming back towards my end is an even rush where everyone is covered, I'd order my players to take as many chances as they wanted to at the other end.

That goal was on Murray and Letang. Murray for the flub, and Letang for believing that his aura would shield Filppula from getting to the net.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
yeah, his goal the other day right when the Flyers starting to steal momentum was huge, even if it's the only play of the game he had much impact.

He's like the team. He can play great when he's on but when he's not it's painful to watch this guy. Same for the entire Pen's team. Maybe take him off PP1 when it's not clicking too cause you need some physicality, at least a bit, and he has none.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Kessel is the QB of the PP and the reset point. He's responsible for the terror that unit has become the last two years, especially in the playoffs. Whether he's hurt or tired or both, he's invaluable, and the suggestion to sit him is offensively stupid.

And for the last time, a giveaway at the blue line is ill advised, but ultimately harmless when the result the other way is a ****ing 2 on 2, which is what happened last night.

If I'm a coach and I know the worst thing that could happen coming back towards my end is an even rush where everyone is covered, I'd order my players to take as many chances as they wanted to at the other end.

That goal was on Murray and Letang.

How's Phil invaluable if he's hurt? The powerplay was awful in G5. If it didn't suck that tying goal doesn't likely happen. We need Horny back too. Horny is the heart of the PP going to the crease.

And Phil needs to use that great wrister on the PP or the reset is futile.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If Kessel playing injured is affecting the powerplay, Sully should make the switch. You dont stick with something just because of the last two years. It would be a different story if he was 100%. Im sure he would understand if Sully decided to go with Brassard on pp1 for next game to get things going.

It doesnt have to remain that way. But it needs a spark and Phil is the one playing injured. Easy move to make.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
How's Phil invaluable if he's hurt? The powerplay was awful in G5. If it didn't suck that tying goal doesn't likely happen. We need Horny back too. Horny is the heart of the PP going to the crease.

Phil's not the reason the PP sucked. Horny's absence is. Phil's been hurt for weeks, if not months.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

The Internet needs to be destroyed

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mine is effort. If the effort is there I think they can outscore the Flyers at ES and the PP always benefits from them moving.

I also really think Letang’s minutes need to be kept down. I’d rather have good Letang for 22-24 and take the potential mistakes from playing other pairings more than play Russian roulette with bad Letang for close to half a game.

Effort and a sense of urgency. I guess they're connected. I thought what killed the Pens last game is they were very lackadaisical in a lot of aspects (PP, defensive zone assignments, etc.), as though winning the game was optional.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin isn't very good when he plays hurt. If he isn't close to 100% I would sit him. Pens can easily win this series without him
He'll be fine and if he isn't, the guy that we bump up is an actual 2nd line C, not some 3rd line C that is in over his head. Sheahan is moved up to the 3rd line and the team can just re-call Jooris.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Effort and a sense of urgency. I guess they're connected. I thought what killed the Pens last game is they were very lackadaisical in a lot of aspects (PP, defensive zone assignments, etc.), as though winning the game was optional.

Definitely. This one played out like it sounded on paper: the better team had a chance to eliminate the worse team, but thought that the game would be easier than it was. Two goals off unforced mistakes and one off a lucky bounce. Meanwhile we missed the net on glorious opportunities multiple times. We'll win the next game, we just need to take it more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad