Series Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Philadelphia Flyers in Round 1 (Pens win series 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am going out on a limb and suggest something at the end of this diatribe I am about to write. So bear with me.

This game: I squarely blame it on Kessel. He telegraphed that interception the whole way. Every single time he was entering the zone, he had done the same thing, which mind you was not a problem. My contention is that he actually is a mini-version of Sheary in his current form in that he is avoiding contact and puck battles as much as possible, esp when he's on a power play. If you notice, most of the board play goes dead when it ends at the stick of Kessel and he's to actually battle it out.

WHY NOT SIT HIM DOWN? I MEAN if he's this liable, why not sit him down for a game? As poorly and careless as they played that game, they were up 2-1 and the way it looked, Philly was doin jack squat. You could actually see the whole thing being a quagmire for the team as the goalie was out of the world for Philly.

How bad would it be to sit Phil for a game, to give him even more rest? Or was it just lazyness that caused that costly mistake? He could have just held the puck for a sec, and he would be fine because there was Crosby, if I am not mistaken on his backhand. But he chose to go cross ice and Fillipula was waiting for it because he had seen it in the same game, at least 4-6 times. Sorry, I am so furious about that play.

Lol okay man

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
This is not true. He's still a threat to score, which opens up room for his linemates and draws the attention of the opposition.

The beauty of Kessel is that he's got a shot that can change the course of the game instantly, from just about anywhere. He's also one of the better passers on this team.
He's never going to battle, or be a hellacious defender.

But if he isn't scoring AND is a mess with the puck, i.e. can't take the pass, bobbles the puck, turns it over, forces passes then he becomes a problem/useless (because he dosen't bring much away from the puck in all tree zones). We have seen it with him at times in regular season.

Currently, he isn't a mess with the puck. Mistakes here and there like everyone. What he needs right now is turn on shooter mentality. Last game, at one point he was going to the net and held on to the puck for too long so he got stripped of it. Plus couple of extra passes last game as well. Just shoot it Phil! We need him to be a shooter and judging by that Columbus game, his injury isn't preverting him from shooting well still.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I don't know why I'm surprised at the chick little crew that comes out after every playoff loss. I would just suggest that people freaking out remember that Murray is 9-1 after a loss with something like a .940 save percentage. Phil Kessel is a point a game player. Oh and the Penguins also have 2 Conn Smythe winners at center. To quote the philosopher R Kelly that is "Real Talk."

Reactions: Shady Machine

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
You can play Malkin and make the majority of his minutes on the PP.

We'll see where this team is at within the first 10 mins. If they have their legs they'll win... If they're trying McGillicutty passes they're dead.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Hey...I saw the original lineup in 1987’s Appetite for Destruction tour...rest of the incarnation, I can agree with you...but not the 1987 version....

hehehehe, actually I was referring to Axl and his penchant for not showing up for shows. I love the band. Saw them last summer here in Montreal. I was surprised and impressed.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well. It's now official. I can relax for the rest of the playoffs. Now that the Pens have beat the Flyers, my only possible "bad ending" for this season has been averted!
(Having said that, I'll now proceed to be a nervous wreck after every loss the rest of the way anyway...)

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->