Series Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Philadelphia Flyers in Round 1 (Pens win series 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
they will have to make a choice how to deploy the Giroux line. on Crosby or on Malkin. Pens will have to figure out how to deploy #19. I still dont think he's been used efficiently (i mean with wingers that actually compliment his game, or him figuring out a chemistry with wingers. Derrick needs someone fast on his winger that can forcheck and a muscle; i wish Sullivan had given thought to putting ZAR and Sheary with Brassard. It is these type of things I wonder if they have given thought (i'm hoping secretly they did and held off revealing them until playoffs)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The best stat guy in the business in my opinion has the Pens as second best odds of winning the cup after the Caps. Of course that is 87 percent chance of a team other than the Pens. But still, his models seem to like the Pens from an analytics standpoint.

Yeah...I have no idea what he uses...probably blindfolds and a dart. We were not analytics darlings last year and he picked us, and now we’re analytic darlings and he picks us second...whatteverrrrrrr....

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
The best stat guy in the business in my opinion has the Pens as second best odds of winning the cup after the Caps. Of course that is 87 percent chance of a team other than the Pens. But still, his models seem to like the Pens from an analytics standpoint.

Perfect.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Like I said over and over and over. This is the NHL and this team can win or lose any series. But yes - we are favorites on this one and match up well. But let's focus on how Philly can win this series.

- I think more than any team, Philly can hurt us on the powerplay. I know it was average all year, but they HAD good success against us in the past when we were overly aggressive. They pass well and can use our over-aggression against us. In our recent game - they went 1/3. Back in the 3/7 game they went 0/5. That would be nice. So if we can stick to making it average, we should have a nice advantage.

- I have said it before that they are one of the best transition teams in the NHL. They pass, chip, and get to the weak side of the ice with space. It creates odd man rushes quickly. Especially if we are not rotating our F3 back. We need to make sure we rotate our F3 back. That is something we always see with Philly. We need to make sure we are getting our even numbers.

And when we have even numbers, we have to be smart defensively. Don't crash too low, or else they'll hit a high guy. A couple of their high guys can flat out snipe with wrist shots.

- Confidence: Pens can give the Flyers confidence 2 ways. 1) By making Elliott look better than he is. 2) By giving up a SHG at the wrong time. Steer clear of giving them belief. Do not give them any belief or confidence.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Please do not forget that PIT is the weakest team in the entire playoffs at 5v5 (#20/31). Every series is going to be close unless that changes.

In 2018 I’d say that changes significantly.

ES goals (42 games) - For 129/Against 96

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Flyers had 37 more PP opportunities than their opponents this season.

The Pens had 4 fewer PP opportunities than their opponents.

I will say it will take less than two minutes in Game 1 for Flyer fans to whine how the refs favor the Penguins.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Other than the goaltending questions for both teams, its going to come down to 1) How Patrick handles his matchup vs most likely Malkin and 2) Phil and Brassard vs Filppula. I like those odds.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How the Pens can win:

- Pens be Pens and Murray be Murray. No doubt we are, on paper, the better team. The Flyers are young and upcoming. The Pens have the experience and have the team. All they have to do is not kill themselves.

- I don't think many of us have our usual confidence in Mur's rebound control. He was so good after his father's passing. He was not so good after his concussion. I hope, like hell, he starts to get into his groove. He's the rock back there. He doesn't have to be a a star. He just has to make the saves he has to make. That's all.

It's that simple. IF the Pens are the Pens, the stars are the stars, and Murray is playoff Murray - we go forward. If we want to give them confidence and feed their only way of winning, that's how the series opens up.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
NBC is going to lean on this series a lot because the other match ups aren't great for NBC.

NBC has a time slot for a Saturday night game, i think their is a good chance the 2nd game will be Saturday night.

Maybe a Thursday Saturday schedule to start the series.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
How the Pens can win:

- Pens be Pens and Murray be Murray. No doubt we are, on paper, the better team. The Flyers are young and upcoming. The Pens have the experience and have the team. All they have to do is not kill themselves.

- I don't think many of us have our usual confidence in Mur's rebound control. He was so good after his father's passing. He was not so good after his concussion. I hope, like hell, he starts to get into his groove. He's the rock back there. He doesn't have to be a a star. He just has to make the saves he has to make. That's all.

It's that simple. IF the Pens are the Pens, the stars are the stars, and Murray is playoff Murray - we go forward. If we want to give them confidence and feed their only way of winning, that's how the series opens up.

If the Pens lose i think it will be because of Murray.

Its very hard for me to see Murray playing well and the Pens losing the series.

Reactions: Andy99

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
How did such a shallow team like Philly end up third in a division? Two lines and one D pairing. I think its unfair that we get to play the worst playoff team in the East. I think we could beat them with 2012 MAF. I'm confident.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How did such a shallow team like Philly end up third in a division? Two lines and one D pairing. I think its unfair that we get to play the worst playoff team in the East. I think we could beat them with 2012 MAF. I'm confident.

Because they are an extremely hot and cold team and their hot is extremely good and they have a plethora of young players that could easily own this squad if they let it go to their head.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Finally the whether there is a switch question will be answered.

Also Pens now tied with Washington in McCurdy's model at the best chance at the cup, 14 percent.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dumptrucker

Apr 7, 2018
p0JYm9u.png
Yeah I'll turn the page, but sure would have enjoyed seeing this series a couple knights ago...
p0JYm9u.png

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
they will have to make a choice how to deploy the Giroux line. on Crosby or on Malkin. Pens will have to figure out how to deploy #19. I still dont think he's been used efficiently (i mean with wingers that actually compliment his game, or him figuring out a chemistry with wingers. Derrick needs someone fast on his winger that can forcheck and a muscle; i wish Sullivan had given thought to putting ZAR and Sheary with Brassard. It is these type of things I wonder if they have given thought (i'm hoping secretly they did and held off revealing them until playoffs)

Flyers stack Giroux with Couturier, they can't afford to split that up vs the Pens because that has made Giroux into a 100pt player and Couturier into a legit offensive threat for the first time in his career.

In the past, they deployed Couturier as a shutdown C vs Malkin. This year, they can't. Pens are also deep as f*** with 4 solid lines. The only thing in the Pens way is their own coaching. Or rather, themselves.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Giroux Voracek and Couturier had career years.

When your best players are having career years your going to win some games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My one fear is the Pens turn Elliott/Mrazek into prime Roy. For whatever reason, the Pens have very little trouble with the elite guys (beat up on Bobrovsky, lit up Holtby, torched Rinne at home), but make the average goalies (Anderson) look like Conn Smythe candidates.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Let the race to the Cup begin

...if game 2 is on Friday the 13th...I probably will have to do the gdt again. lol

My one fear is the Pens turn Elliott/Mrazek into prime Roy. For whatever reason, the Pens have very little trouble with the elite guys (beat up on Bobrovsky, lit up Holtby, torched Rinne at home), but make the average goalies (Anderson) look like Conn Smythe candidates.
To be fair, Anderson was on an incredible, focused run, playing for his wife.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought the Senator's ultra defensive posture had more to do with Anderson's numbers than anything. The Pens struggled to generate the opportunities they're accustomed to vs Ottawa.

Reactions: NeedleInTheHay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad