Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Sid and horny thing goes beyond this season. So it's some weird thing. Sid seems to not like "that type" of player on his line. It's dumb if you ask me.

It might be a personality thing too. In an interview Cullen said this about Hornqvist:

He’s definitely the most intense guy I’ve ever played with.”

You can see that in the way he plays. Maybe they’re both too stubborn or that’s just off putting for Sid. Although that didn’t stop Sid putting up close to a goal a game in the first quarter of last season. Hornqvist went to the net and our D + Sheary kept feeding Sid at the side of the net.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It might be a personality thing too. In an interview Cullen said this about Hornqvist:
He’s definitely the most intense guy I’ve ever played with.”

You can see that in the way he plays. Maybe they’re both too stubborn or that’s just off putting for Sid. Although that didn’t stop Sid putting up close to a goal a game in the first quarter of last season. Hornqvist went to the net and our D + Sheary kept feeding Sid at the side of the net.

It's funny because we've all seen how well they can work together so there's really no excuse there that Sid doesn't do well with Hornqvist, but at times, you can see Sid just delegating to someone else even when Horny is in a good spot, kind of a dick move from someone you call a leader. Hornqvist is always giving it a 100%, he'll make people that want to play lazy look bad and I have 0 issues with that, this team needs more Hornqvist's not lose him for nothing.

I can see JR doing something like letting Horny walk, then signing JVR to what Horny should have gotten just to shore up the left side, but I still don't want to see Hornqvist play for another team after the Pens, he was one of my favourite non-Penguins players for a while, then we got him, I was so thrilled. Then to see him being shafted up and down the line-up to the point he doesn't even look comfortable anywhere now is dumb.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's funny because we've all seen how well they can work together so there's really no excuse there that Sid doesn't do well with Hornqvist, but at times, you can see Sid just delegating to someone else even when Horny is in a good spot, kind of a dick move from someone you call a leader. Hornqvist is always giving it a 100%, he'll make people that want to play lazy look bad and I have 0 issues with that, this team needs more Hornqvist's not lose him for nothing.

I can see JR doing something like letting Horny walk, then signing JVR to what Horny should have gotten just to shore up the left side, but I still don't want to see Hornqvist play for another team after the Pens, he was one of my favourite non-Penguins players for a while, then we got him, I was so thrilled. Then to see him being shafted up and down the line-up to the point he doesn't even look comfortable anywhere now is dumb.

Yeah it’s weird looking from the outside. As long he is on L1 or L3 I’m cool where he plays (with Sheary or Jake).

One of my favourite players ever. Was so happy when we got him. I appreciate the hard stuff he does. He sees the puck in a battle and he does not hesitate whether it’s charging through a pack in the D zone to get a clearance or tapping a goal in front of the goalie while 2 guys are beating into him.

Whether Sid wants him on his RW or not we have no one else. Sprong might do well there but we need a strong guy on the other side. We have Hags to forecheck but that’s it (and his game is not great right now).

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
How will Phillips starting college mid-season affect his UFA eligibility?

Can he walk in 4 years after college, or will we own his rights for the season after college too?

Im always nervous about the NCAA "loop hole" :-(

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What's the deal with ZAR and not scoring? Given the way he started last year I expected more offensively from him. The numbers he's putting up as a 23 year old aren't inspiring much confidence in his ability to ever be an NHL player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think most of his production last season in the A was on the PP. He's been scoring lately, if that helps any.

Reactions: Pancakes

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like Lauzon's out with some kind of neck injury, but my French is rusty. He's pretty much missed most of the first half of the season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's the deal with ZAR and not scoring? Given the way he started last year I expected more offensively from him. The numbers he's putting up as a 23 year old aren't inspiring much confidence in his ability to ever be an NHL player.

And this is why it was funny seeing people talking about trading Hornqvist because we've got his replacement *right now* in ZAR.

Folks really need to learn to temper their expectations for unproven prospects before penciling them into the NHL roster as replacements for proven NHL players.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
And this is why it was funny seeing people talking about trading Hornqvist because we've got his replacement *right now* in ZAR.

Folks really need to learn to temper their expectations for unproven prospects before penciling them into the NHL roster as replacements for proven NHL players.

Hey now the Caputi-Malkin-Zlobin line should be ready any minute now

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Yah. I found it weird that he finished 2nd in the prospect ranking polls....ahead of Blueger,Simon,Bengsston..

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Thankfully he seems to have picked up a little recently. On pace for about 40 points now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thankfully he seems to have picked up a little recently. On pace for about 40 points now.

Which is fine -- for a rookie season in the AHL. But it's still a far cry from the kind of production you want out of a guy that some folks on this forum were willing to pencil in the Pens' lineup as a replacement for Hornqvist this season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Which is fine -- for a rookie season in the AHL. But it's still a far cry from the kind of production you want out of a guy that some folks on this forum were willing to pencil in the Pens' lineup as a replacement for Hornqvist this season.

It's not really great production given his age either. If he was 20 years old and putting up those numbers that's fine. But as a 23 year old? eh. Not so good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like ZAR's stats are a little misleading. He started the season poorly until he had those teeth sorted - if memory serves he's been pretty strong since then, and of course he had a great AHL taster last season.

At the same time, yeah, this is why you slow your roll (even as a fan of speculative comments). And maybe don't speculate too much over a guy who is forecasted as a bottom 6 forward.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Seems like Lauzon's out with some kind of neck injury, but my French is rusty. He's pretty much missed most of the first half of the season.

The Lauzon injury stuff has been very disappointing. This season is trending towards a write-off at this rate.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's not really great production given his age either. If he was 20 years old and putting up those numbers that's fine. But as a 23 year old? eh. Not so good.

I think his play is more what people should be looking at, not his production 100%. He plays a style that would be pretty great on our bottom 6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

All our WBS kids kicking ass the last couple years kind of accelerated expectations for the new guys.

That, and ZAR was a productive coveted college FA and scored at a pretty good pace in WBS at the end of last year, while playing a game that a lot of people compared to Horny.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Bellerive on pace for 95 points. Not too bad for a FA prospect, who was 1st time draft eligible too. So its not like he is the run of the mill overage prospect dominating.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bellerive on pace for 95 points. Not too bad for a FA prospect, who was 1st time draft eligible too. So its not like he is the run of the mill overage prospect dominating.
His speed, skill, and tenacity really stood out in the rookie tourney, him and Miletic.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Miletic got traded to Niagara. I guess they will be better than London, who seems to have traded all their top players. Robert Thomas, Max Jones and Cliff Pu all got traded.

Speaking of trading good players. Lethbridge traded their only good scorer beside Bellerive in Estephan along with their starting goalie Skinner.
Seems he will get even less help going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad