Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We also had Miletic in action, i always forget him since he was sent down to juniors later than the other ones we had in camp.

He was scoreless and only has 2 points in 5 games so far . London seems to be a mess tho with only 1 win so far on the season.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We also had Miletic in action, i always forget him since he was sent down to juniors later than the other ones we had in camp.

He was scoreless and only has 2 points in 5 games so far . London seems to be a mess tho with only 1 win so far on the season.

Yea, I forgot about him. Thanks for the update.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I disagree. Right now he may be our 2nd Best wing if he were added to the team.

He wouldn't. He has played, what, something like 18 NHL games?

Horny, Guentzel, Hagelin and Sheary would be ahead. He can be better than those but rather than rush him, give him time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

At scoring goals, possibly. At playing hockey? Doubtful. Plus, this team needs to get their shit in order defensively. They are currently averaging 4.2 goals against per game. Even forgetting the Chicago game, they are at 3 against per game. Meanwhile, they are scoring 3.33 per and up to 3.8 if you remove Chicago game.

There is no rush to add Sprong to a lineup that can score goals but has struggled with team defense so far. Let them get their lines and rhythm in order and let Sprong continue to dominate in the A and hopefully focus on his game away from the puck. There will be injuries and Sprong will get his shot this year.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

And if things don't go right he could also be a healthy scratch
There is no need to rush these young players, look at Guentzel and the extra time he spent in WBS. Did we ruin the guy?
It's a luxury to have players like this and have a chance to let them develop properly in the AHL IMO.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And if things don't go right he could also be a healthy scratch
There is no need to rush these young players, look at Guentzel and the extra time he spent in WBS. Did we ruin the guy?
It's a luxury to have players like this and have a chance to let them develop properly in the AHL IMO.

I get that, I just think he's ready now. No point in wasting his talents in the AHL when he could be helping the big club.

I think his call up hinges on the trade for a 3C entirely. I would love to hear the internal debates going on within the front office.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
At scoring goals, possibly. At playing hockey? Doubtful. Plus, this team needs to get their **** in order defensively. They are currently averaging 4.2 goals against per game. Even forgetting the Chicago game, they are at 3 against per game. Meanwhile, they are scoring 3.33 per and up to 3.8 if you remove Chicago game.

There is no rush to add Sprong to a lineup that can score goals but has struggled with team defense so far. Let them get their lines and rhythm in order and let Sprong continue to dominate in the A and hopefully focus on his game away from the puck. There will be injuries and Sprong will get his shot this year.

I have no issues with him being down for now. This team always gets injuries so he may get a few games here or there.

However, if he keeps playing well, they may have to make room for him permanently like they did Guentzel.

I keep thinking about what would have happened if they didn't make that call and sit guys on the big league roster for Guentzel. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say had they not made that call, they wouldn't have been back to back champions.

I remember listening to Sullivan on the radio when they sent Guentzel down the first time, explaining how he would be back up and put in a position to succeed. He said that he wanted his best possible roster, and he felt it would include Guentzel.

That's how I feel it should be with Sprong. He simply helps make them a better team, because you can never have enough goal scorers come playoff time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jiggy absolutely hit the nail on the head there. The team is likely better with Sprong in the lineup as opposed to without. I can understand not wanting to bring him up right now, but there's really no legitimate argument to not have him up by say January. It doesn't matter if the Penguins have to waive someone like Kuhnhackl by then, all that matters is putting out the best team you can, especially in the playoffs.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Bellerive is playing really well and had such a big camp. It would be so awesome to see him participate in the World juniors

I would think hes not even on the radar this year. D`Orio are outplaying some of the drafted goalies big time tho. But i dont think he has a shot either.

Next year on the other hand i think both could be considered if they keep producing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Calder is probably the trophy I least want any Penguin to win. Only results in a bigger second contract haha.

He'd be on his second contract already if it happened next year. Gull him into taking a long-ish contract for guaranteed money and we're set ;)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Jiggy absolutely hit the nail on the head there. The team is likely better with Sprong in the lineup as opposed to without. I can understand not wanting to bring him up right now, but there's really no legitimate argument to not have him up by say January. It doesn't matter if the Penguins have to waive someone like Kuhnhackl by then, all that matters is putting out the best team you can, especially in the playoffs.

I kinda said the same thing with fewer words...lol

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sprong can score goals every game in WB, but he isn't going to get called up to the pens til he improves his play away from the puck.

I haven't watched any baby pens games to know how hes doing in that area, but the pens already know hes an NHL player when it comes to the offensive side of the puck.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sprong can score goals every game in WB, but he isn't going to get called up to the pens til he improves his play away from the puck.

I haven't watched any baby pens games to know how hes doing in that area, but the pens already know hes an NHL player when it comes to the offensive side of the puck.

I'm 99% sure Sprong isn't going to improve much more away from the puck in the A. His defense, willingness to backcheck, etc are leaps better than two years ago when I was adamant he wasn't ready.

He's basically avg in those areas now, well, his backchecking has impressed me on several occasions, but I'm not willing to say he will do that every night.

As far as making decisions with the puck, he can get away with more in the A, and that won't really improve much until he's in the NHL.

He takes risks with the puck and he's going to be avg defensively, that's who he is. I think people believe the A magically improves guys in these areas, but it's pretty rare to see a skilled guy make any dramatic improvements away from the puck in the A.

That usually won't happen (if at all) until the player spends a few seasons in the NHL.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's not even necessarily about becoming a good defensive player down in WBS. Because we employ the same terminology and systems throughout the org, having Sprong start out in the AHL alows him to familiarize himself with how our team plays until it becomes second nature so we can minimize growing pains once he's up with the big club.

Reactions: Shady Machine

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm 99% sure Sprong isn't going to improve much more away from the puck in the A. His defense, willingness to backcheck, etc are leaps better than two years ago when I was adamant he wasn't ready.

He's basically avg in those areas now, well, his backchecking has impressed me on several occasions, but I'm not willing to say he will do that every night.

As far as making decisions with the puck, he can get away with more in the A, and that won't really improve much until he's in the NHL.

He takes risks with the puck and he's going to be avg defensively, that's who he is. I think people believe the A magically improves guys in these areas, but it's pretty rare to see a skilled guy make any dramatic improvements away from the puck in the A.

That usually won't happen (if at all) until the player spends a few seasons in the NHL.

I'l take your word for it about his play away from the puck, i'm sure you have seen him more then i have.

I'm just going by what the pens have said about him, they feel hes ready offensively and needs to work on his play away from the puck.

If it was up to me i would of liked to see him play the first few games of the season when they had an opening at right wing while Horny was out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'l take your word for it about his play away from the puck, i'm sure you have seen him more then i have.

I'm just going by what the pens have said about him, they feel hes ready offensively and needs to work on his play away from the puck.

If it was up to me i would of liked to see him play the first few games of the season when they had an opening at right wing while Horny was out.

I suspect it's more about his ELC expiring than major concerns over his play away from the puck, but it's just an opinion.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He wouldn't. He has played, what, something like 18 NHL games?

Horny, Guentzel, Hagelin and Sheary would be ahead. He can be better than those but rather than rush him, give him time.

I feel like he's at least better than Hags and is more dynamic than Sheary, probably better.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I feel like he's at least better than Hags and is more dynamic than Sheary, probably better.

Hagelin, at least offensively but I'm not sure he'd be better than Sheary. I think ideally Sprong gets 20 or so games in WBS then we call him up and he cements his place here permanently.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hagelin, at least offensively but I'm not sure he'd be better than Sheary. I think ideally Sprong gets 20 or so games in WBS then we call him up and he cements his place here permanently.

Both Sheary and Sprong have their faults defensively. Sprong can create offense for himself alot better than Sheary can imo. Brings a more potent skill set with that shot and his skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad