Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Bellerive with another 2 points in a 5-4 loss.
Takes him to 13 points in 9 games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jeez. Sprong has 7 goals, 3 assists for 10pts in 5 games.

Is that the best start for any Pens prospect in his first 5 games? He's 20yrs old, tied for the league lead in points, hot damn.

Please don't trade him for some 3C JR...please don't.

jr5J5no.jpg

Sprong is sure losing his hair real quick.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Is that the best start for any Pens prospect in his first 5 games? He's 20yrs old, tied for the league lead in points, hot damn.

jr5J5no.jpg

Going off memory, but Pesonen lit up the A early on and kept up a blistering pace... had over 80 in 70.

Probably not the name you wanted to see, but there it is.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

jr5J5no.jpg

Perfect long term replacement for Phil

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

jr5J5no.jpg

He looks middle aged... do we demand he be traded now? Don't get advice on this from Phil, Sprong.

I'm going to be so pissed if he's traded. A shoot first player would be huge for this team when so many of them love over passing. He's fast, hungry, young and could play in the NHL now.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
What's the word on Gage Quinney? Vegas born, 22yrs old, has 4pts in 2 games, killed it in Wheeling last year.
The coaching staff must think highly of him because he got to center the 1st line, ahead of guys like Johnson and Blueger in his very first game. I didn't get to watch him a whole lot, but you can tell the skill is there (skating and playmaking mostly). I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it to the NHL next year. It's still too small of a sample size, but it's definitely exciting.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Connor Hall with another pointless game tonight. He also took five minor penalties, en route to a 5-1 loss to the London Knights.

I know you hate the pick and do not think highly of this prospect, but it's pretty useless to continue to track him from a points perspective. He is not a point producer. The points he gets are bonuses. It'd be like tracking Dumoulin's points or Ian Cole's points from last night.

Now, the five minor penalties is important info.

I think we're being way too quick to write Hall off based on a lack of point production.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dumoulin and Cole produced points in college.

If Hall can't put up points in the OHL, it's reasonable to write him off. It doesn't matter if "that's not his game," the number of current NHL d-men that didn't put up at least decent point totals in juniors (or college) is probably close to zero.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Even Scuderi topped 20 points at Boston College twice and Melichar sat above 30 points in his two seasons in the WHL.

I won't write Hall off entirely, but I'm having a real hard seeing him as having anything higher than #6/7 upside right now.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I will just never understand that line of thinking. Agree to disagree.

What I care about is whether or not he is developing HIS game. Is he developing a stay-at-home game? Is he providing a physical edge? Is he learning the intricacies of the blueline position? Same with Lauzon.

We are a high-scoring team, and will probably be so for several more years. High-scoring teams have always needed defensive defensemen to balance out the roster. Hall and Lauzon could be helpful if they develop that way over time.

Dumoulin, Cole and Hunwick/Ruhwedel have a combined 3 points between them after 8 games. It does not diminish their importance or rating so far this season.

I'm concerned about Sprong's production, Olund's production, Bellerive's production, etc. Not Hall or Lauzon.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I will just never understand that line of thinking. Agree to disagree.

What I care about is whether or not he is developing HIS game. Is he developing a stay-at-home game? Is he providing a physical edge? Is he learning the intricacies of the blueline position? Same with Lauzon.

We are a high-scoring team, and will probably be so for several more years. High-scoring teams have always needed defensive defensemen to balance out the roster. Hall and Lauzon could be helpful if they develop that way over time.

Dumoulin, Cole and Hunwick/Ruhwedel have a combined 3 points between them after 8 games. It does not diminish their importance or rating so far this season.

I'm concerned about Sprong's production, Olund's production, Bellerive's production, etc. Not Hall or Lauzon.
Stay at home defensemen don’t exist any more. Cole and Dumoulin skate pucks, make good first passes, join rushes, and Cole has a good shot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, but the thing is you're talking about their production in the NHL vs someone in juniors.

Scuderi didn't produce in the NHL. 24 in 42 and 23 in 43 college seasons. The last time Scuderi was in the AHL he had 8 in 13. Orpik had a 20 in 40 college season. In college Cole had 20 in 43, 26 in 38 and 19 in 30. Dumoulin had 30 in 41, in college it went 22 in 42; 33 in 37; 28 in 34 and an AHL season where he hit 33 in 62. In college Ruhwedel had 15 in 32, 25 in 37, 23 in 41 and in the AHL a 28 in 47 season and a 36 in 72 season.

None of them are producers in the NHL except for arguably Cole finding something last season. They still had some production in lower levels. Hall isn't producing at the lower level. I think it raises concerns about IQ and puck skill levels in general and bigger questions about what they'd do on this team. This team isn't built for defensemen who defend and then lob the puck out randomly.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s not under contract. And he probably won’t get one.

No big deal. Most prospects don’t make it.

Don't bet on that. They clearly like him. Also there's not many dmen possibly entering the org next year.

But yeah. Guys with the skating and skill to play NHL mostly put up points in junior. Let's wait and see though, he started the season well so maybe he gets it back.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I know you hate the pick and do not think highly of this prospect, but it's pretty useless to continue to track him from a points perspective. He is not a point producer. The points he gets are bonuses. It'd be like tracking Dumoulin's points or Ian Cole's points from last night.

Now, the five minor penalties is important info.

I think we're being way too quick to write Hall off based on a lack of point production.

Even "defensive defensemen" put up big numbers in junior. Take a look at what Karl Alzner scored in junior. Josh Gorges. Marc-Eduard Vlasic. All guys who, at the NHL level, aren't regarded for the number of points they score.

There are very, very few defensemen who don't put up decent numbers in junior and still actually become regulars in the NHL. Very few. Hall would have to be that 1 in 10000.

Ignoring his points production in junior because that's not what he's supposed to be at the NHL is silly. It's incredibly rare for someone who doesn't produce in junior to even make the NHL, even if that's not their role when they get there.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Stay at home defensemen don’t exist any more. Cole and Dumoulin skate pucks, make good first passes, join rushes, and Cole has a good shot.
Dumoulin can also feather soft passes at the opposition's net like no other.

I pretty much agree with the majority here. You have to at least show some semblance of offensive skill against weaker competition to at least be moderately effective at the NHL level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
jr5J5no.jpg

Sprong may be taking this whole "replacing Kessel" thing a bit too literally.

Even "defensive defensemen" put up big numbers in junior. Take a look at what Karl Alzner scored in junior. Josh Gorges. Marc-Eduard Vlasic. All guys who, at the NHL level, aren't regarded for the number of points they score.

There are very, very few defensemen who don't put up decent numbers in junior and still actually become regulars in the NHL. Very few. Hall would have to be that 1 in 10000.

Ignoring his points production in junior because that's not what he's supposed to be at the NHL is silly. It's incredibly rare for someone who doesn't produce in junior to even make the NHL, even if that's not their role when they get there.

I'm still patiently waiting for Ryan Parent to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad