Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm 99% sure Sprong isn't going to improve much more away from the puck in the A. His defense, willingness to backcheck, etc are leaps better than two years ago when I was adamant he wasn't ready.

He's basically avg in those areas now, well, his backchecking has impressed me on several occasions, but I'm not willing to say he will do that every night.

As far as making decisions with the puck, he can get away with more in the A, and that won't really improve much until he's in the NHL.

He takes risks with the puck and he's going to be avg defensively, that's who he is. I think people believe the A magically improves guys in these areas, but it's pretty rare to see a skilled guy make any dramatic improvements away from the puck in the A.

That usually won't happen (if at all) until the player spends a few seasons in the NHL.

It's not the effort but the actual ability. He skated hard on the backcheck but he was often looking the wrong way, on the wrong side of the puck etc. I'm 100% confident he can be NHL average in those areas and time in the AHL will make sure he has good habits.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I agree. No prospect was ever harmed by staying down too long. Guentzel seems no worse off. But on HFBoards everyone wants every prospect moved up right away. “Nothing to prove at that [lower] level” “needs to learn the NHL game” etc.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
A Gustavsson sighting!
he got the start today in SHL and stopped 24/25 shots for a win

Reactions: TNT87

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Be patient and let Sprong devlop.

Yeah, it's like really dumb to reward a player that is playing well in the AHL with a game or two in the NHL to see how far he's come along. Teams should never do that, or else we'd have terrible players like the Guentzel's, Sheary's, and Rust's of the NHL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree. No prospect was ever harmed by staying down too long. Guentzel seems no worse off. But on HFBoards everyone wants every prospect moved up right away. “Nothing to prove at that [lower] level” “needs to learn the NHL game” etc.
It wouldn't hurt Sprong to be called up for a game or two here and there and it wouldn't hurt Sprong to spend more time in the AHL this year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It wouldn't hurt Sprong to be called up for a game or two here and there and it wouldn't hurt Sprong to spend more time in the AHL this year.

It is way too early in the season to manufacture a call up for him. If we had injuries then sure call him up, but otherwise I'd re-assess him once he's at the 20 game mark for WBS.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There's just some really extreme opinions around here with regard to call-ups and getting prospects into the lineup and I think that's what Shaffer was responding to.

For instance, people that want to waive the entire 4th line and call up an entirely new 4th line.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Yeah, it's like really dumb to reward a player that is playing well in the AHL with a game or two in the NHL to see how far he's come along. Teams should never do that, or else we'd have terrible players like the Guentzel's, Sheary's, and Rust's of the NHL.
I never said don’t call him up, I said don’t force him on this team this early. Let him play a few more games in the ahl and let him get his rhythm and when a injury happens call him up.

Reactions: TNT87

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's just some really extreme opinions around here with regard to call-ups and getting prospects into the lineup and I think that's what Shaffer was responding to.

For instance, people that want to waive the entire 4th line and call up an entirely new 4th line.

We'll call it the 5th line. It'll be a revolutionary new tactic, straight out of the Mighty Ducks VI: Bombay's Revenge.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A Gustavsson sighting!
he got the start today in SHL and stopped 24/25 shots for a win
Looks like he's also gotten 3 starts in the U20 league too, with a 1.97 GAA and .927 save percentage.

Probably not seeing a ton of quality shots at that level, but at least he's getting minutes.

Reactions: Frank8

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Linus Ölund has a goal and an assist through the 1st period.

Gustavsson off to a rocky start with 2 goals allowed on 7 shots in the 1st period.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Linus Ölund has a goal and an assist through the 1st period.

Gustavsson off to a rocky start with 2 goals allowed on 7 shots in the 1st period.

I really hope Olund can start producing. Hes doing it in the champions hockey league, so i guess he has it in him

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Gusty finished with 20 saves on 23 shots, FBK added an empty netter. Olund 1+1.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Connor Hall with another pointless game tonight. He also took five minor penalties, en route to a 5-1 loss to the London Knights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad